News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mike_Sweeney

Development in Northwest Ireland
« on: March 30, 2006, 09:39:22 AM »
In the continuing saga of mixed blessings from development, Enniscrone Golf Club in County Sligo has a 4 star 80 bedroom hotel being permitted/built near the entrance to the club. I know that building the clubhouse brought lots of visitors as the tour buses will not stop unless there are proper facilities. Thus, I understand the need and generally support the concept for development. I just hope that my friends The Gallaghers B&B also survives at the end of the road. I doubt it will become a Doonbeg, but I hope it does not become a Ballybunion where tee times are difficult to find in peak season.

Last year Enniscrone had the following number of overseas guest:

US & Canada 1549
Sweden 252
Europe 606
Great Britain 1405

No doubt those numbers will climb, and my guess is that Carne will soon follow when Jim Engh completes his 9 holes.

Ed Tilley

Re:Development in Northwest Ireland
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 09:46:21 AM »
Sadly it is only a matter of time before Enniscrone jumps in cost. It really is a fantastic course. I think this development probaly has something to do with the proposed Faldo course at Bartragh Island in the estuary by Enniscrone. It's probably equidistant from Carne and Sligo as well so it will be an excellent base.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 10:04:26 AM »
Sean,

Just some brief info from a members mailing. I have no real idea on the details.

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 04:13:52 PM »
Wow, i just caught up to this post. Is this hotel being built by the club?

Dividing those visitors into the golf season doesn't seem to add up to half the 80 rooms. At the moment i can't recall a golf-side residence (except Doonbeg) such as this.

Isnt there a "trailer park" seaside next to the last hole? This will certainly give a wide variety of architecture to the area...

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 05:46:31 PM »
Don,

It's not a "trailer park". They are called Caravans and lots of lucky people spend their Summer vacations there, walking the beach and playing golf.

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 12:06:56 AM »
Aidan and all,

I apologize if i offended with the quote description. I couldnt think of the proper term, which is why i attempted to guess. Definitely a prime location for summer fun and access to the beach.

It would seem there will be a big contrast between the Caravan Park and a golf hotel, though. As i attempt to recall the area, there is a small bb at the entrance to the golf course road, which also will be hit by this project.

Hope this clarifies.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 12:24:48 AM »
Don,

I didn't consider your words offensive, I just wanted to put them in the local venecular. Prior to the "Celtic Tiger", for some part of the Irish population, Caravans located at resort locations, would be considered a luxury, a vacation home of sorts.

Hopefully you have had the good fortune to visit this charming part of the North West, experienced good weather, and have enjoyed more pints of Guiness than you have lost golf balls!

Slainte.

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 07:35:58 AM »
Aidan,

Why hide good feelings in private messages? I have been fortunate to play Enniscrone twice, Carne twice, and I havent gotten close to getting enough! :)

Golf fantasy - live in a caravan for two weeks and walk over to the golf course...

I just hope we don't screw it up. I read messages on this board about playing Ireland in 1988 and wonder how much better could it be?!

Don

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back