News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jordan Wall

Where to Play: Fort Meyers and Central Florida
« on: March 27, 2006, 10:54:30 PM »
What are the best courses to play in Fort Meyers, Florida??  Also where are the best courses to play in Central Florida??

I have a very good friend of mine that doesnt know where to play.

Thanks guys,

JW
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 11:03:35 PM by Jordan Wall »

Evan Fleisher

Re:Where to Play: Fort Meyers and Central Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 08:46:40 AM »
I'd send him up towards World Woods to play a double there at both the courses.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Andy Doyle

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 08:54:26 AM »
In the Orlando area, I really enjoy playing Southern Dunes:

http://www.southerndunes.com

Built in the big sand ridge area southwest of Orlando - more elevation change than you typically see in a Central Flordia course and lots of exposed sand.  Terrific greens - lots of internal contours.

Andy

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 09:19:58 AM »
Also in the Orlando area, Victoria Hills is another course unlike most of Florida golf with some elevation change and exposed sand areas.

www.arvida.com/victoriapark/golf.asp

www.golfdigest.com/courses/critic/index.ssf?/courses/critic/victoriahills.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jordan Wall

Re:Where to Play: Orlando and Central Florida
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 09:56:51 AM »
Late last night  found out my friend is going to Orlando in about a week, and a drive of about 1-1/2 hous is the most he make.

Thanks guys!!

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 12:23:19 PM »
World Woods is exactly ninety minutes from the big O.

If your friend is serious, have him call right now and get an early time on one course, and after a lunch break, a tee time on the other. It will be a day of golf he's likely never to forget, ever.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 04:40:34 PM »
world woods.

then  the hideout.

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 05:41:35 PM »
another vote for world woods!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 05:54:38 PM »
World Woods, Mountain Lake, Southern Dunes

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 08:47:06 PM »
About 45 min from Orlando is a resort called Mission Inn, in a town called Howey-In-the-Hills. They have an old course, El Campeon, built in 1926 by an architect from Ireland.

This is a true hidden gem, and if you can excuse its conditioning, I absolutely love this track.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jordan Wall

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 08:55:14 PM »
Anybody on this site ever play a course called Stoneybrook??

My friend is being stubborn, and while I think he is gonna gomto World Woods thanks to your opinions, he is kind of looking at this course (StoneyBrook ???) whih looks like a resort cartball place to me...

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 09:08:17 PM »
Stoneybrook in Ft. Myers? Stoneybrook in Orlando? They're all over FL.

www.stoneybrookgolf.com

Much better public choices are available in Orlando... Victoria Hills, Southern Dunes, perhaps Shingle Creek and Harmony Preserve. There's also a new course that's getting some attention north of the city-Eagle Dunes.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Chris Neff

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 09:13:14 PM »
How about Falcon's Fire just outside of Disney! Nobody talks about this golf course. Great golf course that is always in great shape.I'm not sure of the price but the new Reunion Club of of I-4 is pretty good. Good Luck.

Chris Neff

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 09:27:12 PM »
Cary, does El Campeon survive intact at Howey-in-the-Hills?  I seem to recall a melding of new and old.  If it's still just the old, that is one fine course, with a lot of non-Florida terrain.  There is also a really outstanding left to right Cape hole, a heartbreaker if your tee ball is a couple yards shorter than it needs to be!

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 11:56:38 PM »
Based on my trip down there a couple months back, I'd second the suggestions for World Woods, Southern Dunes and Victoria Hills.  If TPC Sawgrass was still open, it's worth the extra drive from Orlando.  Anyone know when they're planning on reopening?

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 11:59:38 PM »
Bill, I was at the El Campeon alittle over a year ago (maybe two) and yes they have the two disticnt courses. No mixing. The old is amazing considering it was built in 1926 and appears to be an early model for the rest of "resort style" golf, up until just recently.

One thing is for sure, the greens have not been tweaked and still have huge humps and rolls. The stimp is likely not to read over 8 very often, and was closer to 6 when I played there, which was fine for me, but I doubt it would be considered anything but pedestrian to the new breed.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 07:01:48 AM »
Jordan,

If this guy is around your age I'm sure he would enjoy the location of the 2005 Q School...Orange County National Golf Center, Orlando, FL..Here is a link.. http://www.ocngolf.com/layout9.asp?id=322&page=8104

Bill Weber

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 07:09:25 AM »
I would second JK's nomination as well as those previously sent by IM.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 08:17:48 AM »
Jordan,

I found this tidbit on the Panther Creek web site...It should get your stubborn friend excited..

When you play #10, look at the shot from 150 yards to the green. That is the spot where Tiger Woods was told to “Get more forgiving irons, the Nike Pro-Combos” by his talking headcover, Frank, during the very popular commercial. Will you be able to hit the elevated green from there with your irons?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 11:23:02 PM »
Anyone know about Mystic Dunes??

Thanks

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 01:35:03 AM »
Bill:

It appears that El Campeon has been untouched since 1926. Quirkly, not a level line on the course, must shape your shots, an old fashion course.

Doesn't get alot of awards, but I think it is one fun track loaded with shot values.

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back