News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jordan Wall

Pete the Tough Guy
« on: March 26, 2006, 09:32:24 PM »
What is Pete Dye's hardest course the pros play?

If Kiawah stretches to 7800 yards and it is real windy then I hear that is a brute.  Then again, with the right conditions, TPC may be able to play that hard.  And what about a windy Whistling Straits??  After watching some pretty high numers at TPC it just made me wonder what Kiawah will play like in 09' for the PGA (maybe 2010...?), or what Whistling Straits could possibly present.

Some more questions

How tough will Kiawah play if stretched all the way?

How tough could TPC play if it is real windy and real major-like conditions (US Open like, maybe)??
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 10:20:03 PM by Jordan Wall »

PThomas

Re:Pete the Tough Guy
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 08:05:16 AM »
this non-pro has played both the OCean and WHisting Straits and thinks is the OCean is the hardest course he has EVER played!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 11:58:24 AM »
this non-pro has played both the OCean and WHisting Straits and thinks is the OCean is the hardest course he has EVER played!

Any ideas on how hard it could play from 7800 yards and 30 mph winds??

How tough would WSGC be with those type conditions??  TPC??

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 12:10:51 PM »
those conditions would be a nightmare for players like me Jordan!

I wonder if last year's final round at the TPC had the worst conditions they ever played in there..it was pretty windy if I recall correctly

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 01:45:13 PM »
I'm going with The Ocean Course being the toughest as well. While the fairways may be bigger, the wind would be more of a factor IMHO. But, I have never played Whistling Straits in a tough breeze and do not know how bad the wind can get. It can get brutal in Kiawah.
Mr Hurricane

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 12:41:04 PM »
What is Pete Dye's hardest course the pros play?

If Kiawah stretches to 7800 yards and it is real windy then I hear that is a brute.  

How tough will Kiawah play if stretched all the way?

Actually, The Ocean Course's back tees measure 7,937 from the middle.  Moving to the back, we can go well over 8,000 yards.  

Difficulity of the course, however, greatly vasolates with the strength of the wind.  I played it in total calm conditions and with 40mph winds gusting to above 50 -- Hurricane Gaston was passing just off shore -- and the wind makes it somewhat tougher... :o :o :o

Brent Hutto

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 01:07:35 PM »
You can go to the PGA of America web site and check out this past year's Club Pro Championship. The first day there was a slight breeze but nothing to affect scoring overmuch. Then the second day they had some moderately blustery winds (maybe 20-gusting-30something) and the scores went way up. They weren't playing the course anywhere remotely near 8,000 yards and there were some pretty decent players in the field but even a 20mph breeze gives it some real teeth, especially if it's not from the prevailing direction.

DTaylor18

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 01:09:32 PM »
I just played the Ocean Course on Saturday and must agree with Jim.  The wind is a factor, it palyed very firm, the greens required a lot of precision and there were some tough driving holes, not to mention the length of the course.

Brad Klein

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 01:40:35 PM »
In terms of ground game features, don't overlook Oak Tree GC in Edmund, Ok. for steepness of green surrounds, movement of fairway, and the amazing need to position your second shot on the par-5s. Out there, 20 mph wind is a calm day.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 01:41:25 PM by Brad Klein »

Sean Leary

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 01:50:34 PM »
As a 5 handicap in a 30 mph wind, I shot 115 at The Ocean Course from about 6500 yards. In a 15 to 20 MPH I shot 83 at WS from 7000 yards.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 02:25:03 PM »

Brad,

The have softened Oak Tree (Edmond, OK) pretty well over the last couple of years, made it longer, completely redid all the greens, made some larger, softened others. Still a tough test but not the brute of the past. It will host the Senior PGA Championship this May, we will see how the Seniors like it.

PThomas

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 03:23:17 PM »
As a 5 handicap in a 30 mph wind, I shot 115 at The Ocean Course from about 6500 yards.

I rest my case!
if a 5 handicapper has those problems , what are mere mortals like myself supposed to do? :o

Jordan Wall

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 03:26:20 PM »
As a 5 handicap in a 30 mph wind, I shot 115 at The Ocean Course from about 6500 yards.

I rest my case!
if a 5 handicapper has those problems , what are mere mortals like myself supposed to do? :o

Paul.....

Thats not even from the tips!!

Brad Klein

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 06:05:36 PM »
Craig, I was just there, played it from 6,873 yards in a 10-15 mph wind and found it fascinating, very hard for this 11. They did make the greens a little more rational than had been the case, and there are more subtle roll-offs than before, as well as smoother, faster greens. I still think it's a fantastic layout and by far the finest set of par-5s that Dye has ever done -- not even close.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 06:56:03 PM »
I only played TOC once, and I was about a 15 at the time.  I played it at around 6500 yards, felt it wasn't that tough, and in mid winter, without playing for a while, shot 93.

The 3 times I played Whistling, twice at about 6800 and once about 6400, never broke 100.  

But, it is all irrelavant for me to consider which course is tougher in back tee terms.  That would be silly of me to play, and the only reference I could have is to follow professional golfers.  I did that at club pro tournament and PGA at Whistling.  I didn't seem too easy for any of them... ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back