News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Matt_Ward

Re:New Jersey Course Ratings
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 06:33:27 PM »
Michael:

You are a very smart guy -- I would think you can see the ones that do such a thing quite clearly. It is fairly obvious. When I see special "supplements" from certain pubs and then see big time splash advertisements I have to wonder if a quid pro quo was / is involved whether stated directly or indirectly.

Wayne:

Allow me the opportunity to correct some of your ill-conceived opinions.

You are the gentleman (I'm being gracious now) who jumps in on the thread and demeans the legitimate need for information being sought from those who relish architecture and would have something to offer / re: Jersey golf courses.

Getting information from valuable sources is something we appreciate. At the same time there will be people who have only seen certain courses from certain parts of the state and only at certain times of the year. While this information is welcomed it is somewhat limited. I have no hestitation to state that I have a thorough knowledge of golf within the NJ. I've lived in the state for the bulk of my life and have played everything that can call itself a golf course of note. Whether you like my opinion or not is something I'm not losing sleep over -- I can tell you that for sure. I also enjoy receiving information from various sources and we do use a few contributors / staffers, as well as the publisher who can provide the kind of cross comparison needed when an OVERALL assessment is eventually carried forward.

Regarding your slur about "fudging the ratings" -- we offer no apologies that the findings are our findings. We stand by them and quite frankly I would match them up against any other. Various publications have their opinions on different issues and we reserve that right as well. If people don't agree so be it. Let me also point out that our ratings are not tied to any advertising situations -- we have lost advertisers from time to time because they believed advertising in the publication would give them an added edge in being rated. It doesn't nor will it.

Wayne -- speaking about "transparent" is your incessant whining and barking about what goes on. If you don't want to cause a reaction don't start the action with your verbal darts and putdowns. I sincerely asked for comments -- if all you can offer is the predictable and tired bomblasts from the deep left field seats it offers nothing.

I thought you were a class act -- forgive me for my error in judgement.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 09:46:21 PM »
I wonder if Matt is planning on using the Matt Ward-Ron Popeil Golf Rater's Gadget Pocket Calculator....

Title: Re:How interesting peripherals affect your golf experience?
Post by: Thomas Naccarato on December 06, 2004, 08:26:41 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I rely on my Matt Ward-Ron Popeil Golf Rater's Gadget Pocket Calculator--the same people that brought you the Pocket Fisherman.

The Matt Ward-Ron Popeil Golf Rater's Gadget Pocket Calculator allows me to punch-in all of the numbers from the course I'm playing, which are then transmitted via cell phone technology to a caddy shack in New Jersey where Matt can calculate them via his magic formulas for strength of golfer, exhibiton of strength (off of the tee), lack of putting ability. They are then multiplied by the amount of visits per year and then cubed for the amount of trips made each year.

It also allows you to enter contact information, slope rating, course rating, distance from the tips and other pertinent data that comprise the award-winning Matt Ward formula of rating golf courses for not one, not two but three major and nationally known publications. He then sends results back to you in less then five seconds later!

(rumor in fact has it that Matt will be a major player in deciding next years BCS rankings)

If the Matt Ward Pocket Calculator by Ron Popeil isn't an instant sure fire success please keep the included free issue of New Jersey Golfer as Matt and Ron's compliments.

Buy it now, and Matt and Ron will include the Matt Ward Guide To Five-Star Dining an award-winning guide to the finest restaurants where you can learn to eat good and well, and then skip the bill and the tip!

Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 09:57:25 PM »
Matt - When you say, "I can tell you plenty of others do" when claiming some magazines tie their ratings to advertising purchases you are stating that you have first hand knowledge. Now that I have asked you to be specific you hedge with "it is fairly obvious" and "I have to wonder."

Which is it Matt? Do you know what you're talking about or are you just speculating based on what you believe.

In either case, which magazines do you know or "think" adjust their rankings to make their advertisers happy? Evidently I'm not very smart because I can't determine "quite clearly" the magazines to which you are refering. Enlighten me.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back