News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

paul cowley

Postcards from the ASGCA fringe.....
« on: March 25, 2006, 07:04:08 AM »
Paul here, safely ensconced in the Nicklaus room at the Pine Crest, getting ready for today's round of meetings at the annual ASGCA conference combined with a Professional Development Seminar this afternoon at Pineneedles [shotgun start]......of note so far is the fact that Forrest somehow managed a last post yesterday at 11:30AM and checked in here at 6PM....we have had two Doak sightings so far, but both proved false after a full investigation, but a heightened awareness permeates the cool still of the morning.

...more maybe later....off to work!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 07:25:52 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Dan Herrmann

Re:Postcards from the ASGCA fringe.....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 07:07:42 AM »
Thanks for rubbing it in.  It's supposed to snow in SE Pennsylvania tonight...  

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 07:38:41 AM »
Paul:

I was wondering if you had a laptop, and now I know. I was thinking of posting a thread last night that we should all bow towards Pinehurst as that is where the collective wisdom of the entire universe of golf architecture resides at this moment. But I thought better of it, for some reason, perhaps sort of like not wanting to mention that the entire national mafia is meeting at some secret retreat to plan how to make things run more efficiently for the general American commonweal.

;)

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 07:54:37 AM »
Paul:

If, when the entire ASGCA has convened in some great hall in Pinehurst, I would very much like you to grab the microphone and make this announcement:

"I hereby propose a moratorium on all sand bunkering for at least the next decade, and that all bunker sand be used to sand-cap American fairways and approaches in the name of firm and fast speed and the return of the ground. Let's see which of you can best forego the artistically debilitating architectural crutch of sand bunkers and act the part of the true artist. Long Live the KING!"

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 07:56:11 AM by TEPaul »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 11:08:21 AM »
Good luck in the chipping contest tonight in the front room at the Pinecrest!  My favorite place to stay in the world of golf... ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 11:08:58 AM by Bill_McBride »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 12:22:42 PM »
Hi Paul:

I'm at home with my family this weekend.

Say hi to all my friends in the Society, and just ignore those who aren't my friends on my behalf!

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 04:03:06 PM »
Should we expect anything substantiative out of the collective, statementwise, this year?

Somehow it feels like one of those pivotal years, imagewise, for GCA.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 04:28:39 PM »
Adam:

Why is this a pivotal year?  Do you know something we don't?

paul cowley

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 06:47:37 PM »
TomD....I'm sorry but we all realize that you are more than smart enough to devise ways to fool us....and your post as an attempt really won't do..... a very reputable waitress reported seeing someone who fit your description sitting in a corner of Duggans Pub with a baseball cap pulled down low...good try though.

TomP....wish you were here.

BTW, John Fought did an excellent renovation of Pineneedles....very well done and a pleasure to play.

As part of the ASGCA's concern about the ball and equipment advances, it has been decided that we will be conducting our own testing starting tomorrow when we will be playing #4 with gutta percha balls and hickories....personally I feel that kind of rollback might be a little extreme but I plan on keeping an open mind ;).

ciao for now....
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 11:21:13 AM by paul cowley »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 07:04:01 PM »
Paul,

Has one, Ran Morrissett, been spotted at all amongst the ASGCA fraternity?!
jeffmingay.com

paul cowley

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 12:29:13 PM »
Jeff, why yes, the venerable Mr Morrisett was spotted last evening in the Carolina grill room engrossed in conversation with Messrs Hanse, Andrews and others which fortunately did not include my significant other [the lovely Miss Dawn who is also along], as she blames him for many things both real and imagined ;).

Jeff Brauer finally arrived at the meeting...too late for the gutty competition but in time for cocktails, which is good because it takes some of the pressure off Forrest who is holding up well but.....he's just so serious ;D.

It was of interest to note that Jim Autrey, in accepting the Donald Ross Award, expressed that during his tenure as CEO of the PGA he was a proponent of lowering par below 70 on some tournament courses as opposed to changing a course to accommodate the skill levels of the very few...which would also allow for the continued playing of some great courses that are now deemed to short.........its good to have Jim's voice on the bandwagon.

Mr Nicklaus was in attendance so we have at least half of the Sebonak duo present.....no further Doak sightings to report....darn.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 02:03:17 PM by paul cowley »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 02:15:58 PM »
Paul:  Just curious, who decides who gets the Donald Ross Award?  Is it a vote of the membership or the executive committee or what?

paul cowley

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 05:39:26 PM »
TomD.....Its a combined effort of the Awards [Rees Jones, chairman] and the Executive Committees.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 01:13:59 PM »
I returned from Hallowed Ground of Pinehurst just a few minutes ago.

Bill McBride,

The chipping contest went on nightly at the Pine Crest, where I stayed, once I figured out it wasn't a brand of toothpaste......and on one evening, one Mr. Arnold Palmer gladly participated to the delight of all.

Adam,

I don't believe the group ever issues a post meeting statement, except in special circumstances. You know the old saying, "What happens at Pinehurst, stays at Pinehurst!"

Paul cowley,

How did you fail to mention your Ross Tartan Kilt, me boy?

Jeff,

Yes, Ran was a guest at the Ross dinner at my invitation and sat with me, Ian, and a few others. I was going to introduce him, but noticed that the side dish was soft tomatoes, and I feared the worst in human nature might take over, so we let the most beloved figure in golf eat in peace.  It was a pleasure to speak with him and I hope he enjoyed his evening.  He did leave early, and rumor has it he is a Soprano's fan.  Either that, or he said he feared the "soprano treatment" should his true identity be discovered. ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Robert Thompson

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 03:42:19 PM »

Adam,

I don't believe the group ever issues a post meeting statement, except in special circumstances. You know the old saying, "What happens at Pinehurst, stays at Pinehurst!"

Jeff, is this some version of Architecture Fight Club -- the first rule of the ASGCA meeting is never talk about the ASGCA meeting? And is Rees Jones the Tyler Durden character in this scenario?
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 03:46:50 PM »
Jeff,

I'll contribute a $100 to whatever goofy foundations ya'll support for a signed photo of Rick and Mike in their tarten jackets.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 04:27:44 PM »
I want to ditto the remarks about Fought's work at Pine Needles. We were there this weekend for our bi-annual trip to the Needles and Mid Pines, with two rounds at each. Though we always enjoyed Needles, it is greatly improved- the ball really moves along the ground in the f&f conditions, bringing the new bunkering, particulary green side, much more into play. The green surrounds are more contoured than I remember them. Oddly, Needles had frost delays on both Sunday and Monday, while Mid Pines didn't....

Needles will be a fine test for the Women's Open next year. There was paint all over the course where, apparently, the rough lines are being established. There will be lots of room for balls running off greens and multiple options for recovery. The "Ross" tees play a over 6400 yards while the new back tees exceed 7000. Something around 6500 yards should be about right for the ladies, IMO, though they need to be careful with the long 4s, particularly 2&18 with their steep front to back pitch, and 14, where a little pull off the tee brings woods on the left into play.

15 is much better as a 5, which, of course, it was originally. Other items to note if you get there are the the emphasis on flat bottomed, grass faced bunkering, the new sandy "waste" area fronting the 11th green, lots of additional wire grass on the fringes of the bunkers and areas of sandy "rough," and the green surrounds as mentioned above.

Saw the ASCGA group was at Pine Needles Saturday afternoon, which was our first round at Mid Pines. Aside from myself, nacent CGA contributor Phil Benedict and his lurker brothers had enough good golf, food, and drink to keep us occupied without crashing the party over at the Pine Crest.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 06:09:36 PM »
Just checked into the Carolina hotel, dinner and drinks tonight at the Pine Crest.  No golf this trip, business only (my partner in Alabama said, "This is an outrage!" - and "the very soul of golf shrieks!" might also be said).

It sure is beautiful here.....

PThomas

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 07:41:36 PM »

Adam,

Jeff, is this some version of Architecture Fight Club -- the first rule of the ASGCA meeting is never talk about the ASGCA meeting?

I hope they don't talk about it because they do some weird rituals like paddling new members like was done in Animal House... :o
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Ian Andrew

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 10:24:36 PM »
I have lots of photos, including Carnac the great. I'll post them tomorrow night.

Kelly, I may have that photo.

I think someone should ask Ran about how his match went on Thursday.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 10:34:22 PM »
Jeff Brauer, there is a photo of the same Arnold Palmer in the Pine Crest Inn dated Monday.  I understand he stayed there as well as chipping there.   How cool is that?   8)

paul cowley

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 06:08:13 PM »
....well I have just arrived home after leaving yesterday morning....I think I drove....Jeff I'm not sure of your kilt reference ??? .... I do remember early morning breakfasts at the Pinecrest ....Forrest was there with a Donald Ross look alike........I guess the old 'what happens at Pine Hurst stays at Pine Hurst' ...is true cause I seem to have brought little back ....funny really.

I do remember a well struck 7 iron traveling four yards into a fireplace....priceless.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 06:16:35 PM »
I hope and trust that copious quantities of fine Malt Whisky were involved in much toasting to the immortal memory of Mr Ross.
Whether the donning of 'neo-philabegs' (Copyright P. Cowley) was involved is a matter for the men of the Society only and clearly not for public consumption.
(Unless Mr C has the necessary ass-pics!)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 10:15:16 PM »
Thanks to Verizon I had no connection whilst in Pinehurst. This may have been a blessing.

My highlights were:

1) Cowley in a 17th Century kilt explaining why he "needs" to make his own sandals from sheep's leather.

2) Carnac correctly predicting that "Gil Hans" is acutally a horrid condition that fisherman contract.

3) Playing Tobacco Road for the second time.

4) Being on hand for Palmer's chipping at Pinecrest — this was, without a doubt, the single greatest off-the-course experience I have ever had in golf.

5) Cowley — again — trying to explain why he even brought  17th Century kilt and recently had the time to fabricate it out of Ross Tartan fabric.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 10:16:40 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2006, 10:31:24 PM »
Forrest, how was Arnold's touch with the chipping?  I understand Ben Crenshaw holds the record with 10/10 but "there are guys in the kitchen who would have him for lunch!"   ;D

This courtesy of the bartender!

The Carolina is very nice but I do miss the Spartan accommodations at the Pine Crest.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back