News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Re:I liked Morgan Hill, you should too (now supercharged w/ pictures!)
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2006, 09:57:51 AM »
  BTW when I played Morgan Hill for the first time late last fall I started a thread titled "Could you build a course here?" I still see this as a good question for the treehouse.
AKA Mayday

Kyle Harris

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2006, 09:58:24 AM »
Mayday,

Been looking for it. Mind giving it a bump?

mike_malone

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2006, 10:03:06 AM »
 Kyle,

My wife does all the work around the house ; I save all my energies for golf. I get very frustrated trying to search on this site.
AKA Mayday

George Pazin

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2006, 10:55:13 AM »
Found it and bumped it.

Matt, I'm always happy for those rare moments when I get to agree with you :), and I certainly do about Olde Stonewall. I personally prefer both Birdsfoot and Quicksilver here in western PA, and that's just among lower priced courses. I also prefer both courses at Nemacolin, even though I'm not a huge fan of Mystic Rock. OS isn't a bad course, far from it, but I don't think it's a special course, either. Slightly above average to me, and waaaaaaaay :) overpriced.

Hope I can make it out to Morgan Hill this year. I'm probably one of the purists types Matt makes fun of, but it looks interesting to me.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt_Ward

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2006, 07:44:15 PM »
George:

Appreciate the fact we can link together on an issue. ;D

Let me point out that Morgan Hill cannot be walked -- save for the few, the proud, the Marines!!! ;D

Like I said earlier -- the routing and overall layout are done very well by Moran. Where there are weak holes they occupy such a tiny slice of the totality you experience there.

In regards to Pennsy public golf -- it's clear that the state has a very wide margin between the private side of the ledger and the public one. I dare say that only The Empire State has such a wider margin between these two categories.

The issue with Olde Stonewall is that it is crammed into a demanding site and at a number of instances it simply capitulates the maxim that the good shot is to be rewarded and the poor shot penalized.

I like the work of Hurdzan / Fry but Olde Stonewall is more about man's desire to overcome rather than man's desire to both overcome and succeed with a first rate routing and at least the idea of lip service to what quality architecture is all about.

When you play Morgan Hill you will quickly note the differences between the two courses and how one simply fails to be what it could have been and how the other is the result of Moran's adroit skill in being able to keep the golf component front and center.

I am also a fan of Quick Silver but I soured on the course the last time I was in town for the US Amateur. The bunkers need to be completely rebuilt and the surrounding grasses present a hippe-type look that needs some serious effort. Quick Silver is no doubt a superb layout because of the way the land falls away from the clubhouse. Yet, I came away from my fifth visit just wondering if the ownership there is truly interested in furthering the reputation or simply lazy enough to fall back on past achievements.

On Nemacolin I see things a bit differently. The sharp angles Pete Dye provided make for some unique and albeit controversial design. I like the course but I have not played it since Pete came back and did additional work for the 84 Lumber Gang.

The sad fact is that Pennsy doesn't have enough juice inthe public arena. Those who fantasize about the reforming of Cobb's Creek will likely meet Jesus in person before that happens. The Harrisburg area has a few courses of note -- I particularly like P.B. Dye's effort at Iron Valley in Cornwall is also quite good but was completely ignored.

I will also echo what others have said about Great Bear in Marshalls Creek -- a superb layout that often is ignored because too many Jersey people simply stay on the I-80 &
I-78 side of the Delaware. Forget Shawnee because it is a relic from yesteryear -- Great Bear is indeed one of the best public layouts in Pennsy that I have played and merits even more attention.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2006, 08:21:28 PM »
The lack of dilineation: In what may be my most amusing golf faux pau of the year so far, I was apparently aiming down the 1st hole on the 18th tee until Cory corrected me. To think, I was wondering why someone would put the hole sign in the line of play!
Well Kyle, if you had hit it down the 1st hole, you would have found yourself playing the sharpest dogleg of your life.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kyle Harris

Re: I liked Morgan Hill, you should too (now supercharged w/ pictures!)
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2008, 10:58:59 PM »
Bump for Joe Bausch...

...remember when conversations here were civil?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back