News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Troy Alderson

course type terminology
« on: March 18, 2006, 12:55:09 AM »
Over in the UK they classify golf courses by the land they sit on.  We all know the terms; linksland, moorland, parkland.  Very classy.

Should the USA starts classifying golf courses in the same way?  Over here the golf courses are just golf courses to the common person/golfer.  And we have mislabeled golf courses as links style when they really aren't.  Is educating the public about proper terminology important enough to take to the golf magazines to set them straight?  I think so.

Help me out.  Do we create new terms or expand on the old or stay with the old terms?

Troy Alderson

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:course type terminology
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 01:41:31 AM »
Troy,
I was all ready to post something sarcastic in relation to the types of land courses get built on the majority of the time here in the United States nowdays, but felt it might be inappropriate to post all sorts of different names like shitland, poopland, crapland, batguanoland, "wasteland", etc.

Personally, I think there is no better definition of terminologies then Dr. Robert Price's Scotland's Golf Courses which hilights the types of land all golf courses exist on.

You can find Price's excellent and resourceful feature interview here: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/interviewprice.html
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 01:42:09 AM by Thomas Naccarato »

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 06:57:07 AM »
TommyN:

That's the greatest. Hilarious.

Crooked Arrow National G.C--the latest and greatest Fazio creation in the unique American Batguanoland style!!!

Come and enjoy it for the bargain basement price of $299.95 but please don't forget to wipe your softspikes extra clean before entering the unique Shitland style clubhouse.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 06:58:02 AM by TEPaul »

Troy Alderson

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 11:33:37 AM »
Tom N Tom,

I agree; garbagedumpland, rockland, overlyconstructedland,...

But, as traditional as we are here on GCA, shouldn't we be describing golf courses according to their traditional style as in Scotland?  Do we add more terms to reflect the land forms in the USA?

I was thinking like farmland, desertland, wetland,...

USA terminology always seems simplified to a grade school level.

Troy

Doug Siebert

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 10:26:48 PM »
I sometimes see courses in the midwest advertised as "Florida style".  They are usually flat, don't have many trees, and water comes into play on almost every hole, not something I consider a real selling point but I guess someone must.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 10:27:20 PM by Doug Siebert »
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 01:13:11 AM »
Tom,
Your on to something here......

How many courses have you been to that have an Farts & Craps-style clubhouse? I do believe that there are many architects today, many of them practicing golf course architecture, right here in Southern California, and that are purposely designing golf courses (shitty golf courses mind you) that are in fact influenced by the Farts & Craps theme and ideaology.

Is there any possiblity of starting a "Farts & Craps Sidetrack" thread? For God's sakes we have 623 posts to catch up to!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 01:14:07 AM by Thomas Naccarato »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 02:34:20 AM »
Tommy, you are on to somthing here.  There should be a description a Ted style course.  The marketing of championship course, when the only championship the course is worthy of is cart path construction.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 12:47:53 PM »
Robert,
I was recently invited to go play Ted's Sierra Lakes, out near Fontana. It was a beautiful day, perfect for golf.

I actually turned the round down, in hopes of having very bad tooth ache or a kidney stone attack or something. From images, Sierra Lakes looks like a perfect example of a Shitland course which is the style which Ted has been most accustomed to building for years. After all, you gotta have style.

Some examples of Shitland: (Sierra Lakes/Ted Robinson school)

Joe Perches

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 01:45:15 PM »
Some examples

It's still cheaper to build a golf course for retirees than to build schools for families.

I think perhaps you also fail to recognize the color of money in the bank for the developer via the savings in fees to the architect, minimal construction costs, and land use maximization for housing with a view.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 11:25:04 PM »
Joe,
Hey, I take this personal! Those schools are usually prevailing wage work, hence they usually use qualified union labor to build them! Heck, I just got off of doing a middle school in Inglewood. I say build lots of more schools! (and of course golf courses)

Actually, of course I would enjoy seeing more affordable, better designed golf courses on land that is capable of providing it. But with land values the way they are here in SoCal, the only way an affordable course gets built now is if it's by a city. Heck the county even cancelled the plans for that Johnny Miller debacle up in Palos Verdes.  

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 11:38:58 PM »
I've always liked the "inland links" courses here in PA. ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Evan_Green

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 11:42:09 PM »
Robert,
I was recently invited to go play Ted's Sierra Lakes, out near Fontana. It was a beautiful day, perfect for golf.

I actually turned the round down, in hopes of having very bad tooth ache or a kidney stone attack or something. From images, Sierra Lakes looks like a perfect example of a Shitland course which is the style which Ted has been most accustomed to building for years. After all, you gotta have style.

Some examples of Shitland: (Sierra Lakes/Ted Robinson school)

Oh my goodness Tommy- I just about banged my head falling out of my chair laughing  :D

Joe Perches

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 12:46:01 AM »
But with land values the way they are here in SoCal, the only way an affordable course gets built now is if it's by a city.

Google Map of Sierra Lakes

I think Ted Robinson did a fine job of creating value for his client.  Just how many more homesites could possible be golf course adjacent on that property?

Perhaps a good golf course development option would be to inspire more Geoff Shackelfords.  I rather doubt we'll find them springing up from the junior program at Sierra Lakes though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 12:53:40 AM by Joe Perches »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back