News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Hughes

Ocean City
« on: March 02, 2006, 04:57:10 PM »
I know this has already been posted, but I am having no luck with searches for it.
Can anyone recommend a fun course in Ocean City, MD? I will likely be there in two weeks, don't know anything about golf there and may get 'the pass' to play once.

PS Cheaper is better  ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 05:00:31 PM by Andy Hughes »
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Jason Mandel

Re:Ocean City
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 04:58:41 PM »
md or nj?
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Andy Hughes

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 05:00:13 PM »
Whoops, good point Jason. MD

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 05:01:18 PM »
Never been, so I have no recommendations, but the new T&L Golf Magazine has a full article on playing in the area.  Looks like their favorite is Links at Lighthouse Sound.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 05:05:57 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of lighthouse sound...they charge an awful lot for the waterfront holes and the longest wooden cart bridge, but some of the marshland holes are downright claustrophobic...there is nowhere to hit your ball on no. 8 off the tee!

If the wind is blowing, its a bear.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 05:06:39 PM »
Check out Great Hope golf course in Salisbury(not sure how far that is from Ocean City but i don't think its too far).  

It's a hurdzan course that is owned by the county.  very cheap, normally in good shape and a pretty good course.

towson plays their college invitational there every year.

jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 05:38:26 PM »
I played the links at lighthouse sound a few years ago so i dont remeber a whole lot and was a pretty bad golfer then. The sea-side  holes were incredible and we got a decent twilight rate. Also played Rum Pointe. The wind was pretty stong that day and made things a bit more interesting.

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 06:52:41 PM »
Check out Great Hope golf course in Salisbury(not sure how far that is from Ocean City but i don't think its too far).  

It's a hurdzan course that is owned by the county.  very cheap, normally in good shape and a pretty good course.

towson plays their college invitational there every year.

jason

Jason, I officiated at Towson's invitational last year and the course was under water.  I had to get very creative with the casual water rules to get the players past the one hole I was responsible for.

My boss has a house on Deal Island not to far from there and plays Great Hope regularly when he goes over there.  He likes it quite a bit.  It is very flat, but looked ok other than the rain.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 07:00:26 PM »
Andy,

I wish I could point out some great hidden gem, but when the best course in the area is perhaps Lighthouse Sound you know you're in trouble.  It's perhaps the most overrated course I've ever played with any number of completely unplayable holes when the wind blows, which it always does given the location.  It's perhaps the prettiest non-functional golf course on the globe.

I do know that a Nicklaus designed course opened just north near Rehoboth Beach but I haven't played it yet.   It's called "Bayside".  

The Dye's course at Rum Pointe is pretty good, actually.  It's a joint effort between Pete and PB, but I think most of it is the latter.  

Hurdzan has a cheap public course right in OC called Eagle's Landing and despite some incredibly claustrophic holes on the back nine, it's got enough going on to probably be the best deal in town.

If you're up for some fairly interesting "target golf", the Beach Club courses aren't too bad and make for a fun "scramble" or match-play courses.

Another course who's name escapes me at the moment was revamped a few years back by Lester George, and he created some stunning holes out near the water, but the inland holes are still of the basic inland William Gordon pedigree.

If your desperate for a game, try Bay Club.

Go shopping with your mother in law or visit the red cross and give blood before playing "River Run" by Gary Player.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 07:01:52 PM by Mike Cirba »

Adam_Messix

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 07:40:51 PM »
The course in Ocean City, MD that Mike C is referring to is the Newport Bay Course at Ocean City Golf Club.  I hope that it is open when you are down there as they close it during the winter.  

I have visited the Bayside Course that is located just off Hwy. 52 near Fenwick Island.  It's really difficult and very long, particularly when the wind blows which is often given it's location.  It was in excellent condition when I saw if that is a criterion for course selection and it will be private eventually from what I understand.  

There is a new course that is opening up in the very near future that is located on Route 50 and I believe the name is Glen Riddle.  It's going to be part of a 36 hole development, one course private, one public.  I've been told the first course was going to open in March, but I drove through it about a month ago and it didn't look quite ready yet.  I guess I would describe the course as neo-Scottish as there are many high mounds with high grass and few trees.

Rum Pointe's nice too, very understated by Dye standards.

redanman

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 08:26:18 PM »
Rum Pointe looked fun, but I haven't played there.

Most of the golf there is just fodder, but what the hell, the Busch Bavarian Beer and thong bikini set is just minutes away and after all, it is GOLF.  Most any golf is good golf, except when it's too expensive and especially if it is too slow.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 08:57:45 PM »
Rum Point, Eagle's Landing, and Lighthouse Sound are all decent golf.  The others are a notch below that. Ocean City is golf poor.  Ocean Pines about five miles from  OC isn't a bad RTJ Sr. course.  
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Andy Hughes

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 09:53:13 PM »
Sounding like Rum Pointe is the place for me. I have never been bored at a Pete (or PB) Dye course. Maybe the Lester George course--all I have seen from him is pictures of Kinloch and that looks awfully good.

Lighthouse Sound sounds like a nice place to stroll with the camera.

Go shopping with your mother in law or visit the red cross and give blood before playing "River Run" by Gary Player.
Mike, as Huckaby is wont to say, audible yucks! ;)
That does seem to be a recurrent theme with Player courses, though I have only seen a few.

Most any golf is good golf, except when it's too expensive and especially if it is too slow.
redanman, a man after my own heart!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back