News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Best Locker Room New
« on: February 23, 2006, 04:14:23 PM »
There have been discussions on here before about the older fabled locker rooms of places like Seminole. However, a recent post on Forest Creek had me thinking that their new men's locker room, giant with a "horse stable" theme is probably the best I have ever been in.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:02:01 PM by PCraig »
H.P.S.

Bob_Huntley

Re:Best Locker Room
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 04:25:05 PM »

Another nice touch in a locker room that I've seen is the "Pac-Man" arcade games in the Locker room at Cog Hill. Those definatly come in handy durring a rain delay.

Pat,

Surely you jest? Arcade games in a Locker Room sounds like the decline and fall..........etc.

Quite possibly, the most charming is the locker room at The Valley Club.

Bob

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 04:27:32 PM »
that magazine that listed the 100 most Prestigous clubs in it had a picture of the locker room at THe Golf CLub in ohio that looked VERY sweet!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jfaspen

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 04:34:20 PM »
When I first joined this site, there were numerous threads about the quality of the showers at Merion (I believe).

It was funny reading through thread after thread discussing the various merits of the course overhaul and then also various threads where the size of the water pipes was discussed.

Shockingly enough, I think pictures were posted.

I've heard the lockeroom at Isleworth is quite nice.

jf

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 04:35:00 PM »
I would have to go with Muirfield.  That huge window looking toward #10 is magnificent.  It is an excellent combination of comfort and old world charm.  Royal Aberdeen's was very comfortable as well.  Generally speaking though, American clubs have it well over British clubs for comfortable locker rooms.

Ciao

Sean
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 04:55:31 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Evan_Green

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 04:46:07 PM »
SFGC!

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 04:51:25 PM »
It's hard to beat Garden City Golf Club.

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 05:18:01 PM »
I always thought Winged Foot and Philly Cricket had very nice locker rooms, but my travels are limited as well.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 05:18:43 PM by Andy Scanlon »
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 05:22:31 PM »
Milwaukee CC also has that giant stable feel to it and is the best one I've ever been in.  Lockers are lined up in rows in the middle with giant aisles and room on the outsides, rafters hanging several feet above.  

It's all dark wood in there, creating a warm and comfortable feeling, and with tables lining the perimeter it's a great place to hang out and spend some time after the round before heading up to the clubhouse.  It's cozy enough to feel perfect for chatting over drinks and snacks and large enough for throwing the football around, as Brett Favre has been wont to do.  

All the old men's trophies line the walls interspersed with historical photos.  Great place.

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 05:32:34 PM »
Kinloch's

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 05:47:09 PM »
In terms of the Pac-Man game, It's not the first thing I would put in my own locker room, but it fits the "feel" of Cog Hill. It's just something unexpected, vs. the old "animals on the wall/solid oak lockers."

H.P.S.

PThomas

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 05:48:45 PM »
not sure I'd want Pac Man in my dream locker room, but I definitely wouldn't want a bunch of dead animal heads in it!

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 05:54:05 PM »
I figure this...if you have to be stranded in a rain delay, what more can you ask for than a nice bar/grill, tons of cheese and crackers, and a pac-man machine.  ;)

H.P.S.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 06:03:38 PM »
Hard to imagine anything cooler and with more history than Seminole...
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Mark Arata

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 06:06:38 PM »
Medinah was very nice, and although it wasnt the most decked out or modern, I liked the layout and feel of Atlantic City CC.
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Brad Klein

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 06:14:21 PM »
Burning Tree's is great, as is Cave's Valley. Franklin Hills and Lake Shore are also wonderful. Atlantic's is also very intimate There's great urinal at Newpot with an amazing view of the golf course. Hope they kept it during the renovation. Shinnecock also has a good one that gives you a clear view of the 9th green - and not vice versa.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 06:14:32 PM by Brad Klein »

Dan Joseph

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 07:38:18 PM »
Firestone C.C. in Akron, Ohio

Host of the NEC Invitational

Michael Moore

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 07:38:30 PM »
A couple of years ago I played Black Rock in Hingham, MA, a real nice Brian Silva course with a titanic 45,0000 square foot clubhouse.

Now, usuallly I show up in my spikes, hit the range, play the course, rip a pint, and go home. But I was totally drawn in by the Black Rock mothership and had to explore.

I found the men's locker room in the bowels of the clubhouse and poked around. I wandered through the sink area and the gleaming showers and emerged into the lounging area with a giant television and leather chairs and I belive a billards table. Then I made my way into the locker room proper.

Satisfied that this was the most deluxe locker room I had ever encountered, I started towards the exit. But I couldn't find it! Lost in the labyrinth that is the Black Rock locker room!
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 07:42:57 PM »
SFGC!

SGGC is the only locker room where I felt that there might be a corpse next to the one I was using.

Bob

wsmorrison

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 07:56:47 PM »
TCC in Brookline and Indian Creek get my vote(s).  However, its hard to beat the locker rooms around Philly with the waterfall showers.  Merion and Pine Valley are noteworthy mentions.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 08:18:44 PM »
I have heard from sources I consider reliable, that the locker room at SEMINOLE is like....a religious experience.

However, I've never been there.  I have been in the locker room at SFGC..........cool, dark, musty, old time and real stuff.

That's my vote........SFGC.  

Tom
the pres

Dan Boerger

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 08:43:32 PM »
I can only comment on the ones I've experienced:
Seminole
Pine Valley
Aronimink
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

wsmorrison

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 08:55:35 PM »
Here's a poor but illustrative photo of Indian Creek's locker room from a 1930s Golf Illustrated:

Speaking of a religious experience....

Brad Klein

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 08:58:16 PM »
Seminole of course - doesn't even need to be mentioned it's so obvious. I'm impressed with newer ones that get the feel right. Besides above-named, Cassique gets it. So do Ocean Forest and Merit Club. I like clubhouses where the locker room is the focus, not the dining room, bar or health club.

Larry_Rodgers

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 09:05:15 PM »
In the Denver area I would have to nominate Bear Creek and Castle Pines.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back