News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Troy Alderson

Re:If you had 20 acres of land...
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2006, 06:46:48 PM »
Brian,

I had thought of this idea myself as a GC Supt.  My idea was along making it a business.  Full length practice range with a par 4 hole, par 3 hole, and par 5 hole around the outside.  Great quick golf for the business executive on lunch.  By charging for the range and playing the holes, the business should break even and provide regular maintenance.

If your intension is to have it all yourself, then build as few of greens as possible to reduce the work load.  The McAlister 2 hole club is a great example.  You will have to mow the greens more times than not per week and keep the cut at 3/16 or higher.  The rest of the turf is on its own throughout the year if your climate can handle it.  The growin phase will take alot of work, but once done the greens should be the only maintenance required.  Minimize the bunkers also and the maintenance on them, keep them true hazards.  

Garland had a good idea to raise a few goats on the property.  Fence off the property and allow a 4H member to tend to the goats as a project.  The turf should stay relatively short and playable.  Maybe some above ground irrigation managed by the 4H member could keep the turf greener during drought temperatures.

Troy

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back