News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Re:McCullough's Emerald Golf Links--Not a Dump Anymore!!
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 10:06:59 AM »
Matt, it's landfill, that's what it is, and they could not make cuts as with Twisted Dunes.

redanman

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 10:34:50 AM »
Now that the participant (BK) in the execution of the Lido hole has weighed in, I think the design and executiuon is about 70% of what I'd expect. I think the hole came out a little flat (even though there are elevation changes elsewhere on the coure), but I understand budgetary constraints, expectations and all that.  The hole to me is a success, but is rather different from the rest of the course.  

Paul Turner and I played it togehter, both going up the left side, it was  a lot of fun, made me want to play it again a few times and I would call that a successful execution.  I just missed carrying the big sandy area, Paul made it. I hit the green out of the bunker with a 5-iron and I think he hit the green too. Right off the top of my head I think I missed the putt low. :-[

On the whole, the course is very much fun to play even with whatever inconsistencies and incongruencies it has.  It is a TRUE BARGAIN.

I hope that Pat take it easy on me since I never played the original!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 10:35:47 AM by redanmanŽ aka BillV »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006, 11:47:57 AM »
Brad:

Go back and tell me about the cuts / fills when you stand on the 11th and 12th holes. Ditto the drop-shot at #13.

On a clear day you can see the AC skyline at the 12th.

My simple point was that the amount of turf movement was done in spots at Emerald Links and at certain times Kay did a solid job in getting the desired result. In other places -- the holes are simply low level pedestrian type stuff that one can play at any number of the other AC daily fees in the immediate region.

One other point -- Kay did do a good job in bringing (creating) various mounds to add width and depth perception to a few of the holes and ones such as the 1st and 3rd are two that come in mind immediately.

From the several times I have played the course I just came away with the thought that just as you are beginning to really get into the layout you then fall back with a few holes that simply are way short on the design meter and are just filler at best.

Gents:

Bill's last comments about the layout being a TRUE BARGAIN is really what set the world on fire among the CCFAD's in the area.

Brad Klein

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2006, 11:52:59 AM »
Matt, perhaps you saw the original site. There was a lot of elevation to work with, but all of it, such as the dominant hill on 11-12, was there before Kay got to the site. He was working on top of pre-existing clay atop the landfill, thus the links idea, with no substantial trees to create roots that would have penetrated the cap. Less than ideal, for sure, and a lot less latutide than at Twisted Dunes.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 12:10:07 PM by Brad Klein »

ET

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2006, 05:42:21 PM »
About the cost of Twisted Dune vs. The Dump. You would charge more too if you had to pay taxes and the other place doesn't.

redanman

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2006, 10:09:43 PM »
Just dredging up old news to comment.

My recent visit showed the place to be a great value on a repeat visit in which mid winter conditioning was decent and the course was an absolute steal at $25.

The Lido Hole played downwind and a solid drive easily made the distant fairway leaving a 9-iron.  There is a ton of acreage out there on that hole!  MOre than I remembered.

I'll try to put up a few pictures this weekend if I get a chance.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2006, 10:36:15 AM »
Bill:

How were the greens? Yes, I know it's early in the season but there have been issues throughout '05.

Look forward to your comments ...

redanman

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2006, 10:48:23 AM »
Hit and run here

Matt

All 18 greens were decent, about 8, mostly homogeneous, way better than Lehigh CC's.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back