News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Dumb Question....
« on: February 14, 2006, 10:15:37 AM »
How do you pronounce Biarritz?

Jordan Wall

Re:Dumb Question....
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 10:17:04 AM »
Ba-raw-tss

Bee-a-ritz

or as my dad says...

bee-a-ditz

:-[

redanman

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 10:53:36 AM »

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 12:22:30 PM »
In the spirit of Winston Churchill, English speaking peoples should pronounce French words like English speaking peoples tend to pronounce French words in ENGLISH and definitely not the way French speaking people pronounce French words in FRENCH. And in Churchill's opinion English speaking people should pronounce French words any Goddamn way they feel like pronouncing French words as long as they don't pronounce them in some way that attempts to imitate the way French people pronounce French words!!

Is that CLEAR enough for you Kyle?

For your information I pronounce Biarritz "BEE-A-RITZ". I have no idea if that's the way French speaking people pronounce Biarritz and in the spirit of WinnieC nor do I give a good Goddamn!

;)

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 12:33:05 PM »
Furthermore. Kyle, once upon a time FRENCH was actually considered to be THE international language (at least that's the way THE FRENCH thought it should be). Later French began to lose that linguistic prominence and distinction to English although for a time French was still considered to be the international language of diplomacy and in some odd places in international social circles. But even those somewhat shaky distinctions were lost by FRENCH and the Frogs and today English is considered to be the international language in all things----and as most intelligent people realize, that's the way it should be in a progressive and civilized world.

The only people today who view French and the Frogs as anything other than an historic cultural relic are THE FRENCH themselves and odd and misguided people like BillV.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 12:35:03 PM by TEPaul »

redanman

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 02:32:18 PM »
Thank you for the complete compliment Tommy, as I am both misguided and odd.  

p.s. What two languages are on your passport?

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 02:41:16 PM »
Tom P.

Mark me down as odd, but not misguided.  I guess I am only half Francophile.  I don't speak French, but I know the country is successful, despite American ignor, sorry, propoganda.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 03:11:31 PM »
Tom,

Ni shwo Chungwahwa ma?

You are just a foreign barbarian to a certain up and coming economic an political power. Better start to set your English chauvinism aside.

I do agree that French is becoming a histerical (sp?) oddity.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dan Boerger

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 03:33:54 PM »
Tom -

Not since the Beefeater at the Tower of London gave us the proper pronunciation of the Battle of AgincourT, have I been so moved about proper Anglo/Franco pronunciation! Now if only I can get my friends to properly pronounce MoeT and Chandon .... ;)
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back