News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

What makes a great championship 18th?
« on: February 13, 2006, 08:23:56 PM »
Should the 18th be a tough hole which will test the player in the lead to see if he can finish or should it be a hole which can be birdied and bring another player into contention?  We saw that #18 at Pebble is a birdie hole unless the weather makes it otherwise, while we look at the 18th at Sawgrass where it can be quite a task just to make par when you need it to win.  Both can be very exciting to watch but is one the better test for the player who is to win the championship?  

Tom_Doak

Re:What makes a great championship 18th?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 08:29:09 PM »
Either one can be a good finish, but I would vote for the hole which allows the possibility of birdie-to-bogey, instead of the par-to-double range popularized by Mr. Dye.

The 18th at Pebble is not really a great championship hole, to me.  Maybe it's becoming one now that some in the field have a chance to reach it in two, but I still remember how Tom Watson made his clinching birdie at the Open in 1982 -- three wood layup off the tee, seven iron layup to 100 yards, nine iron approach, and putt.  Those first two shots were not the stuff of legend even if the putt was.

Strangely enough, I don't think the 18th at Augusta is a very good golf hole, but it's a great championship finish.  We've seen guys make everything from birdie to double with the tournament on the line.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 08:42:48 PM »
I will always be fond of the tough par 4 that can cause a tying bogey, or a tying birdie. When I think of 18th holes, I think of the 18th at Winged Foot, Fuzzythought that Norman made birdie, but it was just a par. Jones was tested here in by having to make a 12 footer and Ryan Moore was able to salt it away with a birdie at the Amateur.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 08:43:15 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 08:43:00 PM »
I'll go with the birdie to bogey finish and if its a 5 the outside chance at an eagle is good as well.  That can surely make the end of an event exciting.  I actually like how 18 at Torrey pines played this year although its not one of my tops to look at.  Hopefully it will make for an interesting end to the 2008 open.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 08:51:27 PM »
Great RISK - Reward, with emphasis on the RISK

Jordan Wall

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 09:10:34 PM »
Great RISK - Reward, with emphasis on the RISK

Well, what about the 18th at Laurel Valley if they added some length to it (I cringe as I write this...)??

Doug Siebert

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 12:08:49 AM »
C'mon guys, is there really any difference between a birdie to bogey par 5 and a par to double bogey par 4?  The same numbers are being shot, and a legitimate par 4, even if it is really tough, is an easier three than most par 5s.

I think a finishing hole should allow the widest possible range of scores, but it is irrelevant whether its par is 4 or 5.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 01:15:49 AM »
I think that to be a truly great golf hole (finishing hole or any other) there has to be a very fine line between a birdie and a bogey.  The hole can be had with a well executed approach, yet if you are slightly off, it will penalize you.  To further expand on this, a golf course can really take it to the next level with the play around the greens.  The best layouts provide the same risk/reward type shots in the short game as well.  You should always be tempted to try something a little daring and out of your comfort level.  

Ed Tilley

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 05:23:05 AM »
The 16th at Hoylake should be a great finishing hole at this year's Open, although as it isn't normally the 18th should it count? Par 5, OOB in play on both tee shot and second. Potential eagle 3 but also potential double bogey.

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 07:31:16 AM »
The 18th at the TPC Woodlands, that's in Texas for you elitist nor'easters, always provided great drama, actually it was paired with a great 17th hole, which was a short doglegged left par 4 over water, and the 18th was a long doglegged right par 4 over water with a pin area tucked way back in the right.  It may be best to expand one's view of the 18th and include the qualities of the preceding hole as well before determining that one hole can make a great finish.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 08:13:50 AM »
Tom Doak,

I am curious about your comment about 18 at Augusta.  It's so familiar.  Why don't you think its a very good hole?  By the way, does it really play 465 at the Masters?  Three-wood and 8-iron for Tiger.  Uphill.  

Andy Hughes

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 08:38:45 AM »
Strangely enough, I don't think the 18th at Augusta is a very good golf hole, but it's a great championship finish.  We've seen guys make everything from birdie to double with the tournament on the line.

I wonder if this is a function of the hole itself, or just the fact that it is the 18th hole on a course that hosts a major every single year for many, many years.  Presumably every hole out there has seen birdies to doubles (and worse).
Tom, is there anything you would do specifically to make it a better hole?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 09:05:30 AM »
Phil Benedict,

I think it plays longer than 465, remember, it's uphill all the way.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 09:37:45 AM »
Pat Mucci,

I know the official yardage is 465 and that it's uphill.  Three-wood and a 8-iron for Tiger both in regulation and in the playoff last year.  I think the 8-iron was 175 yards (ridiculous by itself).  That means the three-wood was 290 - uphill.  I suppose it's possible but I just wonder whether they move the tee up on Sunday to make it interesting.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 09:40:20 AM »
I really believe that the 18th should be a test for the leader if he can finish the job or will he collapse under the pressure.  If the hole really sets up for a birdie then the guy who is trying to catch the leader really has nothing to lose since winning is everything in today's professional golf.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back