News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Thompson

Its the people...
« on: February 12, 2006, 12:37:08 AM »
What a great night!  Just got back from the Grand Rapids golf show and it was wonderful.  

As members of an industry we are so blesssed to work with a group of people who come to places of business every day to have fun.  Golfers really are the best folks in the world and sometimes we overlook that because one player here or there does something stupid.

As members of GCA we are also very blessed.  This night I was priveleged to join Rick Holland, Mike Devries, and the gangs from Kingsley Club and Greywalls for the unveilling of our favorite hickory enthusiasts collection!  Ralph did a wonderful job and the history and knowledge was beyond compare.  THANK YOU Ralph!  That was a treat.  Its also good to see Ralph doing so well given his health issues.  I wish him the best and hope he continues to be in all of our prayers.  We also went out to dinner and had a great time.  It is always a treat to get a small group together and chat, more over its is always agreat surprise anytime I get to share the company of Rick Holland.  He is a first class gentleman and I consider myself honored to have him as a friend.

I hope you all are enjoying the company of other GCAers when possible, because the posts are just scratching the surface of this group.  Perhaps some of the pariticipants will post on the nights events.

Cheers!

JT
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 12:39:49 AM by Jim Thompson »
Jim Thompson

Joe Hancock

Re:Its the people...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 07:52:15 PM »
Jim,

Did you keep everyone in check? I just got back from the GIS, and am sorry to have missed this. I must say, however, that I had a great time in Atlanta and met many architects and builders for the first time.

Glad to hear Ralph is doing well! :)

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 11:10:49 PM »
Glad to hear the show went well - I'm awaiting reports from our guys (Greywalls) there as to how things went compared to last year.  Kenny is a character you undoubtedly met and Marc has just begun getting into the hickories.

Stop by our booth in Novi in a month if you're heading to that one as well.  That's my lone golf show assignment this spring.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 03:12:31 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for posting the message.  It was a great evening!  Anyone on this site should make an effort to get to a hickory event in their area sometime this year -- that will give you about 10% of what we experienced at Ralph's Hickory Museum.  The diversity of clubs, the history of the clubs and the game, and Ralph's passion for it all just oozes from the bowels of the earth (the museum is in a finished basement)!  There is so much cool stuff I don't know where to begin or end, so a few snippets: a scrapbook that Rick Holland brought along with old newspaper clippings - much of it about courses, rolling a guttie with an 1870's putter, holding Francis Oiumet's mongrel mashie, a 1915 metal-headed wood with a bore-through shaft, all kinds of funky putters, oversized niblicks (what is the term for them, Ralph?) that "could put the ball in your forehead" (Dan Lucas) - makes a 60deg wedge look like a 7-iron!  It goes on and on -- very cool!   :o

The kicker was that we had Ralph and Gary Wiren, two of the foremost authorities and collectors of these vintage clubs, there to explain about the clubs and that was, as they say in the commercials, priceless!

And, the camaraderie was wonderful.  My thanks to everyone there for sharing their knowledge.

Mike

Jim Thompson

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 05:46:07 PM »
Joe,

I tried.  Finnaly met someone who can eat more than I can though.  I'm no match for baby Hughey in spectacles ;D

Mike,

There are two sizes of over sized niblicks the mammoth and the giants.  Some of 'em you could flip pancakes with!

Rick Holland had the original Goerge O'neil scrapbook that was compiled by his family.  Great stuff on Beverly County Club and a ton of O'neil's old newspaper clippings.  Even an autographed nore and photo of President Warren G. Harding!  As Mr. Ward would say veeeery cooool!

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back