News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Aerial - which course down under?
« on: February 11, 2006, 09:21:18 PM »
Should be an easy one.  Its is not Monterey!

If you do venture 'down under', you must have a 'Captain Cook' at this one (Oz slang for a look).  This Club followed the Doctor's orders.  It is close to what the locals think is the centre of Australia, but at this course you feel a million miles from civilisation when you are on-site (apart from the occasional jumbo jet taking off overhead).

James B

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Brad Klein

Re:Aerial - which course down under?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 09:25:55 PM »
I played my first-ever Stableford here in a club event in 1989. Fellow who joined us was a WWI veteran who had been handicapped and relied upon a little motor scooter to get around the course. Had his bag attached and played a very smart game. Wind blew like hell and I think I ended up with all of 19 points but was totally amazed at the rolling dunes here and how many of the holes crossed the dunes line perpendicularly. View coming atop the 5th fairway to the boat wreckage site behind the 6th tee is amazing.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 07:09:58 AM by Brad Klein »

peter_p

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 09:36:59 PM »
Alias star should know what city this is in. I suffered my worst jetlag on the backside.

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 09:45:52 PM »
Brad Klein

did you see the 'bunkers' on the sea-side of #5 fairway.  They are old pill-boxes from WWII, manned to keep look-outs from the invading Japenese.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 10:15:33 PM »
I played there Wednesday. Over the past 9 months they have been clearing some of the scrub to reveal sand waste. The best example of this is left of the 5th. The large bunker short left of the green has been turned into 'spectacle' bunkers & the rough down the left of the 5th is sand waste for about 150 metres. The same has happened right of the 4th fairway about 100m short of the green.

This course pocesses what I believe to be the greatest bunkerless short par 4 in the world.

James Bennett

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 10:30:52 PM »
Andrew

I assume the short par 4 you refer to is #14.  When I played there in 1980, if my memory serves me corectly, there was a bunker at the right front the green.  If there wasn't, then the slope meant that a short shot was penalised.  I recall that into the s-w wind, it was one hell of a shot.  Balloon it and you were short, too low and you feared you were in the Bay behind the green (actualy, you were just in the native vegetation, virtually unplayable if you found your ball.

By contrast, #3 hole was bunkerless at that time.

And #12 had severe bunkers on the left side of the fairway short of the green - now it appears the fairway cuts off
completely.

PS I was going to post an aerial of your club Stockton (Newcastle) but the aerial definition is not up to it on Google-Earth, just as it is poor on the sandbelt and the mornington peninsula. :(

James B
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 10:32:05 PM by James Bennett »

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 10:43:34 PM »
James,

Yes, I love #14. There are hundreds of option that can take place on this hole & every shot on any day will give you 3 or 4 choices. The skyline green is one of the best as well.

This courses changes from day to day more than most. A great example is the 5th. We had the breeze behind us & I hit a good drive over the hill & hit a 52 degree wedge to 15 foot from the pin for my second, on a par 5. Into the wind I have hit a good drive, a good 3 wood & still had a 5 iron to get to the green. I don't believe anyone could ever get sick of play there.

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 10:46:44 PM »
Didn't George bell have an albatross putt on #5 during the 70's?  Only one bunker at front right then (I think). It was down wind, so the Pro-balata or distance ball didn't matter.  It could have been a 'ziggy' pgf persimmon driver but that is about as strong as we had then.

George was a farmer from Young who then turned pro.  He has been seen in the north coast of NSW in recent years, still playing golf I believe.

James B

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 10:47:41 PM »
PS I was going to post an aerial of your club Stockton (Newcastle) but the aerial definition is not up to it on Google-Earth, just as it is poor on the sandbelt and the mornington peninsula. :(

Yes, I hope they extend the high resolution areas to include the sandbelt & the Mornington area.

Newcastle GC have a couple of areals on their web site, but they are not that big. Then again, we haven't got air conditioning in the clubhouse yet either. ::)

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 10:52:18 PM »
Didn't George bell have an albatross putt on #5 during the 70's?  Only one bunker at front right then (I think). It was down wind, so the Pro-balata or distance ball didn't matter.  It could have been a 'ziggy' pgf persimmon driver but that is about as strong as we had then.

George was a farmer from Young who then turned pro.  He has been seen in the north coast of NSW in recent years, still playing golf I believe.

James B

The only one I know about is when George Bell hit the par 5 6th at St Michael's in one, then 3 putted for a birdie. :D

He's a member at Bonnie Doon & still plays some good golf.

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 01:38:53 AM »
What do people think of the 15th?  I don't have an opinion.  I thought I killed my drive on the right edge of the fairway and never found it.  I'm still confused about that one.

James Bennett

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 01:48:22 AM »
Concave drive, with DEATH if you miss the shot by a yard either side at the tee shot point, then bends to the right to a convex green.  Unique is the only way to describe it.  

If you hit it straight but low, well, you can forget about finding that one as well.

Intimidating, penal, severe  Definitely not strategic.

James B

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back