News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

redanman

Re:The Greatest Golf Ever Played On The Greatest Course?
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2006, 10:09:56 AM »
Hogan at Riviera when stepping back from the grave.

Chris, I agree, but I want to add one note.  Tiger played his solid-core Nike ball during the 2000 Open, while Titleist players (the majority of the field) did not yet have access to the Pro V1 ball.  The Pro V1 didn't debut until October of that year.

I never thought about that before.  Maybe it needs a Maris [size=25]*[/size].
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 10:12:53 AM by redanmanŽ aka BillV »

Sean Leary

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2006, 11:12:05 AM »
That for some reason doesn't sound right to me.

Didn't O'Meara win with a Strata in 98.  That was a solid core ball, I believe....

SPDB

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2006, 11:41:58 AM »
I think that Tiger's US and British Open championships in 2000 have to go down as the 2 most dominant performances in history. That season was absolutely mind boggling, and is approached only by Hogan's 1953 season, at the age of 41, and still hobbled by injuries from the car accident.

I don't think he found a bunker in all 4 rounds at St. Andrews, on his way to -19 under, 8 clear of the field - an astonishing feat.  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2006, 12:44:07 PM »
David Graham's 273 at Merion in the 1981 U. S. Open.  Shoots 3 under 67 on the final day, HITTING ALL EIGHTEEN GREENS.

Brilliant.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

David_Elvins

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2006, 11:18:46 AM »
Mike,

David Graham's 79 PGA final round (low round of the day with a double bogey on the last) was arguably more impressive.  And lets not forget Mahaffey's 66 in the last round of the 78 PGA at Oakmont after trailing Watson by 7 at the start of the day.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

George Pazin

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2006, 12:33:10 PM »
Gene, this might surprise you, but I'd go with Tiger at Pebble as well. Just too damn good.

Miller's round at Oakmont might be the best single round.

Some others no one has mentioned:

Hogan at Oakland Hills
Hogan at Carnoustie (one shot at The Open and he gets it done in style)
Hogan at Merion
Hogan at Oakmont

As much as I never tire of the Venturi story, I think you'd have to go to the Jones quote to disqualify it: There's golf, and there's tournament golf. They're not at all the same.

Does anyone doubt that there are probably tons of stories like the Venturi one, that simply didn't benefit from being told on national TV a few thousand times? :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Andy Hughes

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2006, 12:40:38 PM »
1859: Allan Robertson becomes the first to break 80 on the Old Course.

Young Tom Morris wins the Open by 11 and 12 strokes in successive years (1869-1870). Not just one overwhelming win....
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2006, 12:46:17 PM »
That for some reason doesn't sound right to me.

Didn't O'Meara win with a Strata in 98.  That was a solid core ball, I believe....

Yes, the Strata was introduced before the Pro V1 was.  But hardly anybody played the Strata, particularly those on contract with Titleist.  

It's beyond my powers to retrieve data on who played what ball at the 2000 US Open.  I'm just saying that, since the Titleist Pro V1 wasn't released until October of that year, it is likely that most Titleist players used wound balls in the 2000 US Opens.

George Pazin

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2006, 12:50:19 PM »
My recollection is that the pros had the pro V1 well ahead of the release date. In fact, I thought I remembered it debuting that spring, but I certainly could be wrong.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

David_Elvins

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2006, 12:51:17 PM »
1859: Allan Robertson becomes the first to break 80 on the Old Course.

Young Tom Morris wins the Open by 11 and 12 strokes in successive years (1869-1870). Not just one overwhelming win....

And shooting a 47 along the way, I think.  I would like to see Tiger shoot 47!
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2006, 12:56:20 PM »
I would like to see Tiger shoot 47!
No chance, dude's a hack.

David, 149 over 36 holes in 1870....unmatched until rubber-cored balls arrived years later.  

As always, thank god almost all the great rounds/golf has happened in the last few years so we could witness it!  ;)
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back