News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Franzen

Re:Glamour handicaps !
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2006, 03:25:45 AM »
I have played a couple of Pro-Ams and also a competition where they had some TV-cameras out on the course.

For a dull duffer like yours truly thoughts like "okay, just don't hurt anyone" is not uncommon when you step up on the first tee in these situations.

In AT&T you have a big crowd and are paired with pros who are playing a real stroke competition at the same time. I would probably hurt someone - live on national TV... and then try to leave California and the US on the next available flight.  

Mickey Boland

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2006, 11:28:02 AM »
These guys are playing with pros, on courses set up tougher than they are used to on a daily basis and the possibility that they will be on TV adds to the tension.  This has to account for a good portion of the differential.  The tendency is not to have a vanity handicap for these things but to be a sandbagger.  What was the name of that guy who was really distorting his handicap for the tournament?  Somebody here was able to track him down and expose his indiscretion.

Robert Halmi.  Here's an old thread that discussed this issue.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=8056

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2006, 11:42:25 AM »
I've played with Bill Murray in our tournament for a goodly number of years and he can hit the ball a mile. I would say his handicap at his home course is about an eleven. I think he got a courtesy handicap of fourteen for this years event, as did a bunch of other people who the organizers would like to see on Sunday.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2006, 11:43:46 AM »
Bob:  thanks.  I figured that's how it has to work, necessarily so.

TH

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2006, 12:52:24 PM »
It's warm here, but it's also fun to dream.
And I dream this same thing every damn year.

What would I do playing in the AT&T?

Well first of all just like you I would prepare like I never prepared before.  Oh yes, winning would not even be a delusion of grandeur; but making the cut would sure as hell be in my mind.  As for how to achieve that end, I'd be praying like hell for a hot pro - knowing a guy like me isn't gonna get a big name, but hoping to catch lightning.  As for my own game, I never thought of it in terms of trying to beat the pro straight up, but that is a hell of a goal.  Match him and we make a lot of bet birdies.

All this being said, no matter how much I prepared, no matter how great a state I conned myself into thinking my game was, I'd still arrive there hoping not to kill a spectator nor throw up all over myself.

Interesting, my man Dick Skavdahl is in at 65, not bad at all.

TH

« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 01:37:53 PM by Tom Huckaby »

JESII

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2006, 12:53:03 PM »
I'd pay whatever the organizers would need to pair me with Freddie or Adam Scott. Then I'd just enjoy the view, of the gallery that is. ;)

trying to beat these guys straight up from tees falling of the front edge of each block would be pointless to me, unless I could draw them into a bet of course. Any thoughts on whether or not that ever happens? A little better-ball between teams for a couple bucks.

Michael Hayes

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2006, 12:59:48 PM »
Shivas...

I played in a group with Lon Hinkle in a pro-am at Bandon Trails. I was aware of the pairings the night before.  I went online and researched his record and all the details about the "hinkle tree" and the US Open at Inverness.  My goal was to keep up with him and out drive the 1970's longballer.  NOT A CHANCE!  He was INSANE LONG!  In the end he and his partner handed us our lunch, but we had an amazing day hearing the stories of the 'monday qualifier' days of the 1970's PGA Tour...

BTW, when Hinkle got to the 14th tee of Bandon Trails he said... "F@$KING Crenshaw!!!"  He then drove it over the green left and got up and down for a birdie 3!

MH
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 01:00:47 PM by Michael Hayes »
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2006, 01:17:21 PM »
Dave,

I know what you mean.

Don Schwab, an old friend, now departed, played the final day at Pebble in January of 1972. I've got card in front of me. He carried an eight handicap. Lee Trevino went 33-37-70, Don went 36-34-70. They started the day -12 and finished -24, a tournament record at the time. Don birdied nos. 10.14 and 18 for net eagles.

I don't think he got invited back.

Bob

mike_malone

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2006, 01:49:03 PM »
 A search of GHIN shows a William Murray at Sleepy Hollow listed as a 7.5 index.
AKA Mayday

Mark Arata

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2006, 05:18:15 PM »
After just watching Dennis Quaid just butcher the 18th at Spyglass, I will say this...If he is a legit 2 handicap, I will eat my hat!.....The announcer was saying how some golf magazine just ranked him as the best player in hollywood, he hit a 50 yrd grounder for his 2nd shot from a decent lie......

New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

John_Cullum

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2006, 07:37:51 PM »
I think he got a courtesy handicap of fourteen for this years event, as did a bunch of other people who the organizers would like to see on Sunday.

Well obviously they want Dennis Quaid to pack his bage early.

He is playing off of a 2.

He can give me 1 aside for all the money in the world.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2006, 07:45:58 PM »
But aren't there a whole bunch who go the other way and their teams are go so low that it is just as incredible as those with the glamour handicaps.  BTW I really don't believe that people are watching the Sunday round to watch the amateurs.

John_Cullum

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2006, 10:22:59 PM »
Frankly, I cannot bear to watch the AT&T.

There is nothing worse than celebrity golf on television. I only saw Dennis Quaid because they had a clip on the golf channel where he was rated number 1 celebrity golfer. It is a freakshow and they will have their event without me. I would rather watch my wifes tivo of the soaps.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back