News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

Re:Caddy, walk, or ride?
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2006, 12:28:48 PM »
Bad knees force me to ride, but whenever possible especially when I play with my dad who is 78 I try to walk along side the cart for as long as I can. Cart path only is tough sometimes but I love the game too much to not play. I have been working out so I can hopefully play Bandon this summer with a caddy. Anybody know if they have a cart exception for a senior like my dad that has a handicap sticker?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

SL_Solow

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2006, 12:33:44 PM »
My choice, 1. caddie 2. Walk (usually with pullcart due to back problem) 3. ride when required.  The only exception is on an "unwalkable" course (Florida housing 3 blocks and 2 turns between tees) or late evening 9's alone trying to finish before its dark.

As to reasons for mandatory caddies, and health reasons should be excepted, caddy programs are good for the community as they supply jobs for youth and good for the game by introducing young people to the golf.  Nothing destroys a program faster than a caddie's failure to get loops because the members choose not to use one.  It is appropriate for a membership to decide that its culture wants to encourage a caddy program and thus restrict the use of the course without caddies.

David Sneddon

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2006, 12:36:12 PM »
I always walked and carried up until 4 years ago, when an injury and recurring lower back problems precluded carrying.

I've taken a caddie at St Andrews several times and thoroughly enjoyed the experience - well worth it, IMHO.   I enjoyed the experience - the line from the tee, the approach,reading the putts from a first rate caddie.

I've often taken a cart for the second round of the day, especially if playing a hilly course, seems like my back and legs have a difficult time of it these days.  

These days I use a remore controlled electric trolly and I love it.  I believe if more courses offered electric trollies in lieu of carts, it would encourage walking, and leave carts for those with medical disabilities.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Garland Bayley

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2006, 04:34:15 PM »
Tom,

I avoid courses with long walks between greens and tees.  Though I don't mind hills for some reason...must be used to it from playing Rolling Green.
On courses with long walks between greens and tees, the cart ballers are breathing down your back even if they play tee to green slower than you do.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

ed_getka

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2006, 05:24:31 PM »
Tim,
   Take the pull carts at Bandon and you won't have any trouble walking. If you want a golf cart for your father I would get on the phone because they only have a few, so I wouldn't expect to be able to get one on the day you show up without prior arrangements.l
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back