News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Scottish bargains
« on: February 09, 2006, 10:43:54 AM »
http://www.visitdumfriesandgalloway.co.uk/golf/gateway-to-golf-passes/

These are the 2005 prices, but I don't suppose they'll be a lot more in 2006.  It's a lovely part of the world and courses such as Southerness, Powfoot and Stranraer are certainly worth playing at these fees.

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:Scottish bargains
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 12:55:00 PM »
The course illustrated at the top of the page is Stranraer, which I remember with great affection from childhood holiday visits.  Anyone been there since the 60s?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 01:11:17 PM »
Mark, what a good deal.  It is worth looking into.  thanks.  It is nice to know that such bargains still exist.  There are  a number of courses on the list I would love to play.  I may have to extend my visit.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 01:12:38 PM »
Actually I was in Stranraer in 93 and loved it.  It is worth another visit.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 01:27:53 PM »
GolfHighland offers some very attractive golf bargains as well. They offer a 7-round pass for 99 pounds in 3 different regions of the Highlands. The courses in the pass for the Spey Valley area include Boat of Garten, Grantown-on-Spey, Kingussie & Newtonmare. Further info at:

www.golfhighland.com/pass.shtml

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 02:53:13 PM »
The course illustrated at the top of the page is Stranraer, which I remember with great affection from childhood holiday visits.  Anyone been there since the 60s?

Mark/Tommy,
I have farming rellies in the Stranraer area where I holidayed much of my childhood and was lucky enough to find myself back there on business a couple of years ago. Of course, I found a little time - Ahem! - to play the Course.
While I found it to be mostly fairly uninspiring, the knowledge that it was Braid's last design added a little nostalgic twist for me at least. The Hole pictured on the website is a beaut though. Fabulous on a summer evening with the 'Cat' ferry thingie coming slowly up Loch Ryan (thus avoiding a tidal wave-like wake!).
I have also played a good few other courses in the area including Powfoot and the Dumfries ones. Fairly nice, if not overly exciting.
Southerness, however, apart from maybe two or three holes, is WORLD-CLASS. Incredible terrain and a great routing. It deserves much more interest - especially from a group such as this.
Note to our US chums: Play Southerness next time you're here. Worth the wee trek. Maybe add it to a Turnberry/Troon/Prestwick agenda and you won't be disappointed.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 04:46:40 PM »
I cannot recommend Southerness strongly enough, especially when you consider its green fee.  As for the rest, they are fun and (apart from our really obscure courses) are some of the best value we can offer.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 04:48:01 PM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back