News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam_F_Collins

Getting on - Just to walk and look
« on: January 04, 2006, 01:53:59 PM »
What are the policies of some of the great golf courses in terms of just getting on for a walk?

There was talk of going to the Crump Cup to get a look around Pine Valley. There's the Masters for ANGC. Then there are the other major tournaments (I'm planning to get to Pittsburg for the '07 Open).

What are some of the policies and lesser known tourneys that are a "ticket in" to see some of the greats for study?

George Pazin

Re:Getting on - Just to walk and look
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 02:04:54 PM »
(Note: Pittsburgh :))

I think the Crump Cup allows spectators on the Sunday final.

I think Merion allows spectators for at least part of The Wilson. I asked many a moon ago about The National singles, but never received a response.

Oakmont will certainly be selling tickets for the '07 Open. They recently hosted the Western PA Open and I was able to walk the course then. (If you hit a wicked hook, you can even knock one onto Oakmont from Oakmont East, the unbelievably quirky public course next door. :))

I still maintain you'll learn at least as much observing top players as you would playing the course yourself.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John_Cullum

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 02:58:43 PM »
Seminole does not allow spectators for its invitational. But just wait until next September or so when Jupiter takes its annual hurricane hit, and you can go walk around while everything is shut down for the extended power outage.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 03:08:25 PM »
Adam,
    I think you would be suprised at how many courses you could take a look at by just asking, expressing your interest in architecture. You obviously don't want to show up midday on a weekend, and I find it is best to show in person than to talk to someone who doesn't know you when making the request. If I can be of any assistance send me an IM.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 03:13:03 PM »
(Note: Pittsburgh :))

I think the Crump Cup allows spectators on the Sunday final.

I think Merion allows spectators for at least part of The Wilson. I asked many a moon ago about The National singles, but never received a response.

Oakmont will certainly be selling tickets for the '07 Open. They recently hosted the Western PA Open and I was able to walk the course then. (If you hit a wicked hook, you can even knock one onto Oakmont from Oakmont East, the unbelievably quirky public course next door. :))

I still maintain you'll learn at least as much observing top players as you would playing the course yourself.

Aahhhh, Oakmont East...I played it steadily for three years while in law school (when I should have been studying!).  There are some lovely views of Oakmont from the back nine at Oakmont East.
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

Dan King

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 03:23:12 PM »
I've never had any trouble calling up the head pro and telling them I'm keenly interested in (something about  the course) and could I come out and walk the course sometime when it is convenient. I've made it clear I know how to handle myself on the course and can be relatively invisible. I've never tried Augusta or Pine Valley, but have toured just about many exclusive course in California without any trouble.

Dan King
I like to think of my behavior in the sixties as a "learning experience." Then again, I like to think of anything stupid I've done as a "learning experience." It makes me feel less stupid.
 --P. J. O'Rourke

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 03:38:23 PM »
Aahhhh, Oakmont East...I played it steadily for three years while in law school (when I should have been studying!).  There are some lovely views of Oakmont from the back nine at Oakmont East.

Man, I must have Goodale-like focus, because I didn't even notice the views. I think the last time I played it was probably 6 or 7 years ago. It's probably the quirkiest course I've ever played. Driveable par 4s galore, blind par 4s galore, holes that seem like they were teleported in from another course - OE has it all.

Andy, are you still a Pittsburgher?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 03:44:16 PM »
I've made it clear I know how to handle myself on the course and can be relatively invisible.
Dan King

Dan,

How can you remain relatively invisible with your typical Hawaiin shirt on!

"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 04:01:46 PM »
Dan - very curious about this - did you do this just as average Dan, or as GolfWeb/GolfObserver/Media Dan?

Because I can see the latter happening - Pete's very correct question aside, you do have a charm to you and there's no doubt you would handle yourself correctly.  

I just can't see Average Dan making this happen... one has to have SOME connection/authority/hook/reason to be there for them to allow the visit.

But if anyone could make it happen, I'd guess your the one.

;D

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 04:03:27 PM »
I've made it clear I know how to handle myself on the course and can be relatively invisible.
Dan King

Dan,

How can you remain relatively invisible with your typical Hawaiin shirt on!

Pete,

I was thinking the same. The last time he was at MPCC they almost called the SWAT group out, thinking that he was the front guy for Osama bin Laden.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 04:04:59 PM »
Good point Pete.

I'm strolling down the second fairway at Pasatiempo during KPII and notice a dude sporting substantial growth and a Hawaiian shirt lurking in the shadow of the tree line.  I cannot resist wandering over with this opener:  "You just be Dan King."  Of course, it was him his ownself.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 04:15:30 PM »
Last summer we were in Santa Barbara and took a day off from playing and drove over to Ojai for lunch.  I really wanted to get a look at the Ojai Valley Inn course (George Thomas/Billy Bell Sr) so drove in and stopped in the golf shop to chat.  Once I had described my mania for classic golf courses, they assigned one of the assistants to take me and my wife around the entire course in a cart for a guided tour!

Sometimes you just have to ask!

You could always get Tom Paul to tell you how to use his "looking for my lost dog" trick to stroll around wonderful courses!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 04:20:05 PM »
Bill - well said.  I suppose this could work, and it's all in the asking.  But Ojai is a resort course, right?  Imagine strolling up to Valley Club and asking the same thing.  Would the welcome be so warm for Joe Q. Golfnut?

BTW I'm making no value judgments on any of this - I just do think it's a little naive to think one can blithely stroll around any private club just by asking nicely.  Oh if anyone could make it happen it would be Dan King, or perhaps yourself - an element of charm does go a long way and each of you have that in spades.

I just wonder how easy this is... Dan made it sound like no problem whatsoever.

TH
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 04:22:21 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 04:25:09 PM »
Huck, you are right that Ojai is a resort.  I also was fortunate to have the lovely Mrs. McBride with me or would have been given the bum's rush immediately if not sooner!  ::)  ;)

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 04:27:35 PM »

Man, I must have Goodale-like focus, because I didn't even notice the views. I think the last time I played it was probably 6 or 7 years ago. It's probably the quirkiest course I've ever played. Driveable par 4s galore, blind par 4s galore, holes that seem like they were teleported in from another course - OE has it all.

Andy, are you still a Pittsburgher?

George:

I am not (born, raised and currently reside in the Philadephia area), but lived there for three years while in law school at Pitt and played all over the area.  

All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 04:29:10 PM »
Bill - good call - having the lovely better half along would save most of us for sure!

;D

Jason Mandel

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 04:30:46 PM »
My brother was out West last week working a junior golf tournament in San Jose.  They got rained out one day and decided to take a drive down to see Pebble.

He called me from there and asked if I wanted a hat.  I have already been to Pebble so I told him not to bother with the hat, but I said half-jokingly that I would take one from Cypress if he stopped by there.

Well he called me about an hour later saying that he just left Cypress, and he had a few hats in tow.  They even let him walk around a few holes.

I too think that most places in general would be very receptive to letting people walk the course.  

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 04:37:50 PM »
Jason - your brother must be added to this list of charmers, because the stories are many of people NOT being allowed to do exactly what your brother did.  When you say "working a tournament" that also tells me he has a golf connection he had to have used as part of the "pitch"... so it doesn't surprise me HE made it happen.  Golf pros do protect their own, like any other profession.

But make no mistake - Joe Q. Golfnut people try to do that ALL the time at Cypress, and are routinely turned down.  I've heard stories of people being allowed to purchase merchandise - they do like money, after all - but touring the course?  Never.

I'm sticking by my party-pooper story that no way do most private clubs let just anyone tour their course.  One must have some hook/connection/role/etc.  For those people it can be done.  For Joe Q. Golfnut, it would take a LOT of charm.

TH

« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 04:40:17 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Dan King

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2006, 04:40:10 PM »
I used to do it as just Dan King, regular every day NASA rocket scientist. I was much less shaggy looking back then. The key is also to tell them why their course is of such interest to you and that you can do it at their convenience. Perhaps it is tougher nowadays with insurance issues.

I did walk the Valley Club one time, about ten years ago (I've since played it a few times, but nothing matches that first look at the place.)

Back in the day, when I worked for a living Hawaiian shirts were a Friday thing. Now that there is no such thing as weekends, which means more Hawaiian shirts.

Dan King
You're either on the bus or off the bus.
 --Ken Kesey
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 04:41:30 PM by Dan King »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 04:43:13 PM »
Dan - very well then - but like I say, I really think this is more a tale of Dan King during a simpler time than a tale of what can be done by Joe Q. Public now.  That is, it was doable for YOU, during that time of less litigation and tax-rule focus, as you have a way with words and with people and the simpler time speaks for itself.  I have to believe Joe Q. Golfnut would have a lot less success than you did, surely back then but particularly now.

TH

« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 04:43:49 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Jason Mandel

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 04:53:44 PM »
Tom,

He didn't exactly get to "tour" the course.  He did get to walk around a few holes.

I'm sure he used the golf job as part of his pitch, but for the most part he was there just buying merchandise and he said the new pro was just a really nice guy.

In any case I got a great new blew Cypress hat out of it :)  Unfortunately when people ask me if I played there, I'll have to tell the truth :)

Happy New Year
Jason

« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 04:54:07 PM by Jason Mandel »
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

George Pazin

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 04:56:19 PM »
If someone can convince a total stranger to host their dad at ANGC, I have no doubt there are plenty of folks who could talk their way on to walking almost any course. It'd probably not be a good idea to show up with your hat turned around, or sporting your colors, but if you share your passion and approach someone with decorum, my guess is you'll have more success than failure, even in today's day and age.

I think a lot more folks subscribe to "If you play golf, you're my friend" than you'd guess. :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 04:57:16 PM by George Pazin »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 05:00:21 PM »
Jason:

Happy New Year to you too!

I hate being the party-pooper - chearleader is usually my role.
Just on this issue, well... for some reason I just don't want people to get the wrong idea.  Sure the people at Cypress are exceedingly nice - if you have a reason to be there, or some other connection.  Your brother's connection was his role in the golf world.  If my brother - nice as can be, but as connected to golf as I am to his world (he owns some sort of internet-related company and is a contractor/presenter/speaker for Microsoft) he is to golf.  If he tried to do that at Cypress, they'd politely ask him to leave, and then call the cops if he refused.

;)

In any case, I really think the deal is have some connection, sure these things can happen.  Dan King - as in so many things - has to be the exception, not the rule.

But bottom line is one shouldn't think Joe Q. Public can routinely tour private courses, particularly the REALLY private ones like Cypress.

Even if "tour" means walk a few holes, in this case.

;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 05:02:36 PM »
If someone can convince a total stranger to host their dad at ANGC, I have no doubt there are plenty of folks who could talk their way on to walking almost any course. It'd probably not be a good idea to show up with your hat turned around, or sporting your colors, but if you share your passion and approach someone with decorum, my guess is you'll have more success than failure, even in today's day and age.

I think a lot more folks subscribe to "If you play golf, you're my friend" than you'd guess. :)

True, without a doubt - hell you're preaching to the poster-boy recipient of largesse in that area.   ;)

I'm not saying it CAN'T be done.  I am saying it requires quite more effort and/or more or a role or connection than Dan made it sound from his initial post.

That's it.

Or do you think it was EASY for that woman to get her saintly step-Dad on Augusta?

Or for me to achieve my exalted/lowly status as America's Guest?

;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 05:02:57 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2006, 05:07:24 PM »
If you are willing to write well in advance and have some sort of letter of reference. there are only a few courses anywhere that will not have you. Just be prepared to go on off times that are convienent for the more elite clubs. If your flexible, so will they be.

One funny story...and I'll be short.

(years ago) I drove a couple hours to "walk" (pre-arranged 3 months in advance) Lake Nona. I was turned away at the club because they changed their mind.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back