News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

At private courses, is the quality of the architecture directly related to the club's cell phone policy ?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 10:45:07 PM by Patrick_Mucci_Jr »

A.G._Crockett

At East Lake, they not only don't allow phones on the course, in the grill, or to be visible in the clubhouse, they also request that you turn them off before you put them in a locker.  God bless them for it, too, and they have a great golf course.

You may be on to something! :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 06:55:20 PM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Kavanaugh

If you are at a private club with a considerate membership cell phones can play a vital part in playing during the week and drinking after the round....The cell phone is not the problem...the idiot member or guest is..The better the membership the fewer the rules..

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

JakaB,

I don't care how considerate you are.
Those dialing don't know where the party they're trying to reach is.
Having rules that require that phones remain off eliminates any unexpected disturbances.

Pine Valley,
Seminole,
ANGC
Pine Tree
Garden City Golf Club
Sand Hills

Do you see a corelation, a pattern ?

John Kavanaugh

JakaB,

I don't care how considerate you are.
Those dialing don't know where the party they're trying to reach is.
Having rules that require that phones remain off eliminates any unexpected disturbances.

Pine Valley,
Seminole,
ANGC
Pine Tree
Garden City Golf Club
Sand Hills

Do you see a corelation, a pattern ?

Yea...a large number of their members are city slickers..

Mike McGuire

Pat -

The pattern I see is the people at those clubs are so rich they can afford to turn their phones off for 6 hours on a thursday.

The average guy belonging to a private club might not have that luxury. Being able to see if someone called..the phone is silent..or make a 5 second call discretely makes it possible for them to play golf.

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

The pattern I see is the people at those clubs are so rich they can afford to turn their phones off for 6 hours on a thursday.

It's just the opposite.

Those guys are active Captains of American Businesses.
They're busier than 95 % of the golfing world.
They, more than anyone else, need to be connected to their businesses or professions, yet, the cell phone prevents their useage.
[/color]

The average guy belonging to a private club might not have that luxury. Being able to see if someone called..the phone is silent..or make a 5 second call discretely makes it possible for them to play golf.

That's pure, self indulgent B.S.

When's the last time someone made a 5 second call ?
When's the last time someone made a discreet call ?
And, could you describe what a discreet call is ?

If you've got a cell phone, why do you need to see who's called ?  To see how important you are ?

If it's an emergency, they'll know how to get in touch with you, just like they've been doing for the last 70 years.

You want cell phone useage at the expense of everyone else's game and enjoyment.

If you're that busy, stay in the office.

You might be one of those fellows who thinks that their rights transcend the rights of the club and the club's membership.
I see it the other way.  The best interests of the club, not the interests of individual members must come first.

It's interesting that great clubs, clubs with great architecture prohibit the use of cell phones.

Was Alexander Graham Bellsky an advocate of moving massive amounts of dirt ?
[/color]

John Kavanaugh

Patrick,

The clubs you mention have the rules because somebody was rude and stupid in the past....who needs rules that govern the 2% that are assholes.  Next thing you know you will ban whiskey sales because one member can't handle his liquor.   We have a standing wolf game at 12:30 on Tues and Thurs where we play between 5 and 7 somes...should 7 somes be banned even though we never cause a problem or because it could never work out east..

Wayne Freeman

I've always felt the cell phone policy at some of these exclusive clubs is b.s.  You should be allowed to use your phone in certain designated areas- say in the locker room or outside in the parking lot.  For many people it is important to stay in touch with business or family.  Sure keep it quiet and be considerate of others, but let's get real.

John Kavanaugh

What are some other rules you big city boys have, anything like:

No talking so loud at dinner everyone else hears your boring conversation..

No taking up two parking spots with you EDmobile..

No dressing like Freddie Couples..

No tour bags with your name on it unless you earned it..

Cell phones bother much less than these tactics..and decent clubs don't have to tell there members how to act..
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 08:09:29 PM by John Kavanaugh »

John Kavanaugh

Pat,

Just answer this...If you had a perfect membership would you have any rules at all...

Sean_A

No cell phones on the course and in the clubhouse is a very standard policy in the UK.  I see people break this rule at times (myself included on the very rare occassion when I deemed it a necessity), but they are usually not a problem.  In fact I can only remember a few incidents of annoying calls on the course.  They were both in the States.  One was during a little tourny.  The player in question was talking on the phone when a marshal approached him.  The player asked the marshal to look for his ball while he finished the converstion!

I am generally against rules and laws regulating common sense areas of life, but if a club makes a rule and you want to play there, follow the rule.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

John Kavanaugh

I once took a call saying my wife was in labor and I needed to get to the hospital...I had just hit a par 5 green in two and made a wish on my eagle putt...I missed and had a beautiful baby girl..

A_Clay_Man

Do they also outlaw beans?

It could avoid another unanticipated disturbance.

Andrew Summerell

Down here in good old Australia we have a lot more comps than you guys in America. At your standard members course there is a comp every Saturday & every Sunday & at least one mid-week, if not 2 or 3.

The basis rule at most courses in Australia is that you can be disqualified from the comp if your phone is not turned off during the round.

Cliff Hamm

How long have cell phones been around?

What did folks do before cell phones?

Was the golf course a better place?

Matthew Mollica

Just answer this...If you had a perfect membership would you have any rules at all...

I wonder if that would work on the roads John...

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

John Kavanaugh

I wonder if that would work on the roads John...

MM

Matthew,

I seriously doubt that if private roads were ever built where access was attained through high initiation fees speed limits would exist...You may have horsepower limits but never speed limits...

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

The clubs you mention have the rules because somebody was rude and stupid in the past....

That's not true.

Those clubs understand the inherent nature and purpose of the club and the golf course.

They had the foresight to preserve the integrity of the atmosphere, culture and golfing experience offered by the club.

They were smart enough to avoid the problem BEFORE it reared its ugly head
[/color]

who needs rules that govern the 2% that are assholes.  
I'd say "Society" as a whole.
[/color]

Next thing you know you will ban whiskey sales because one member can't handle his liquor.

I haven't seen too many members or guests consuming excess amounts of liquor at 7:00 am, 10:00am or 1:00pm.
Don't many states ban liquor sales during certain hours ?
[/color]  

We have a standing wolf game at 12:30 on Tues and Thurs where we play between 5 and 7 somes...should 7 somes be banned even though we never cause a problem or because it could never work out east..

What's the traffic or play demand at 12:30 on Tues and Thurs ?

Now you're going to tell me that 7 somes play in 3 or 4 hours as a matter of routine ?

At Adios they'll play 8 somes.
While it may work at Adios, it's not easily transportable, AND now that cell phone use has increased, the rounds are much longer.

How would you compare the architecture of the golf course where your "Wolf" game is played to the courses I listed ?

Does my theory ring true ?
[/color]

John Kavanaugh

The club where I play wolf is considered the 21st best course in the country by Golf Digest...as good as most better than some..we are just a bunch of small town boys who know our place and treat others how we want to be treated..
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 10:03:01 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

What are some other rules you big city boys have, anything like:

Since you're holding yourself out to be an angel, a perfect gentleman who's conduct is always above reproach, need I remind you of your retort to Tom Doak, or some of the other times your conduct could be called less then exemplary ?

Don't try to lecture us about acceptable conduct, actions speak louder than words.
[/color]

No talking so loud at dinner everyone else hears your boring conversation..

No taking up two parking spots with you EDmobile..

No dressing like Freddie Couples..

No tour bags with your name on it unless you earned it..

Cell phones bother much less than these tactics..and decent clubs don't have to tell there members how to act..
Baloney,

Since when is any membership comprised of perfect individuals ?

Since when are all guests the model of decorum ?

The fact that you're arguing for their use reveals far more then the content of your post.

Why are you so against prohibiting their use ?
[/color]

Michael Moore

To answer the original question, the architecture of a club that was built eighty years ago and a modern policy regarding the use of cellular telephones cannot, by definition, be directly related.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

John Kavanaugh

I am against prohibiting the use of cell phones because when I compare the quality of my friendships of those who need cell phones to play with me during the week against the disruption of the occasional call to my game I choose my friends every God damn time...

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

I've always felt the cell phone policy at some of these exclusive clubs is b.s.  

Why does a club have to be exclusive in order to have a no cell phone policy ?
[/color]

You should be allowed to use your phone in certain designated areas- say in the locker room or outside in the parking lot.  

How would you propose that incoming calls be prohibited while someone isn't in these areas ?

Afterall, the dialer doesn't necessarily know where you are.
[/color]

For many people it is important to stay in touch with business or family.  

Perhaps for those selfish people who feel that they are more important than anyone else.

If you're at a club, it's easy to be reached from the outside, and there are plenty of house and pay phones from which to make calls, you know, specially designated areas just for that purpose, just like wanted.
[/color]

Sure keep it quiet and be considerate of others, but let's get real.

I am real, you're the one in the dark.

Trying to putt to the tunes of an incoming call is not what golfers want.
Listening to people argue, while golfers are preparing to hit their shots is not what golfers want.
Hearing the beeps on the dial pad while a golfer is in his backswing is not what golfers want.

It's the selfish few, who think that they are so much more important than anyone and everyone else that ruin the game for others.

And that's why clubs have been smart enough to ban cell phones.   They want to protect and preserve the golfing experience for their members and guests.

If you are fortunate enough to get invited to Sand Hills or any of the other courses I listed, make sure that you tell your host to "get real" and that you WILL be using your cell phone during the course of your round.   I"m sure you'll be a popular invitee.
[/color]

A.G._Crockett

To answer the original question, the architecture of a club that was built eighty years ago and a modern policy regarding the use of cellular telephones cannot, by definition, be directly related.

They could be directly related, of course, if there is a correlation between the quality of architecture and the cell phone policy, whatever it might be.  That's Patrick's premise, no?

If I have a cell phone, then it and I ARE directly related, even though I was "built" long before it was.  Golf courses would be the same.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back