News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cory Lewis

Your Year in Review 2005
« on: December 22, 2005, 01:00:28 PM »
It's December 22nd.  Time to hear about everybody's 2005.  What were your architectual high points?  What courses surprised you?  What courses disappointed you?  What were your top ten courses for 2005?  What discoveries did you make in terms of designers or course styles?  Any good things happen off the golf course?  Fond memories of people or events associated with GolfClubAtlas?  Let's hear it!!!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Eric Franzen

Re:Your Year in Review 2005
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 01:09:50 PM »
I'll leave the big name top courses out of this. Surprises are more fun. For me one of them was Kebo Valley in Maine. Timeless and affordable golf with some interesting twists. What more can a swedish armchair architect ask for?

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 01:19:07 PM »
Didn't play a whole lot this year, but the highlights were playing
2 of Gil Hanse's latest: Applebrook and French Creek. Also
enjoyed Kelly Blake Moran's Morgan Hill up in Easton, and
Torresdale Frankford..

Another highlight was watching an afternoon at the amateur @ Merion, then playing there a few months later.

I think my swing is finally coming back.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 03:01:11 PM by Craig_Rokke »

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 01:22:39 PM »
I think I only played one new course, a new Graham Cooke layout in Dieppe, New Brunswick which was fun - but in the process of being aerated for the winter

For me 2005 was about game improvement. I completely revamped my swing, changed to a premium ball and focused on chipping. Had a lot of ups and downs through the season, but shot a career low 72 (but it was the only sub-80 round...)

Next year wedges wedges wedges.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 01:25:32 PM »
I made my first ever golf trip this year (a vacation including golf).  In Maui, I played at Kapalua Plantation and Bay, and also Kaanapali North.  Kaanapali and the Bay course ceased to impress me, though the Bay was cool due to ocean.  Plantation was great as everyone says plus I birdied 18.  It was my first CC course and now I really want to play another one...or two!  I also played Salishan in Oregon, and I was pleasantly surprised.

My Favorite 2005 Courses I had never played before:

1.Kapalua Plantation GC
2.Sudden Valley CC
3.Salishan GL
4.Mill Creek CC
5.Kaplaua Bay GC (because of the ocean)

One really cool thing that happened to me off course was Arnold Palmer helped me with an English Project and called my house from Pennsylvania.  It was cool and made me feel pretty special.  My goal for this year is to maybe play a golf with a member of GCA from the greater Seattle Area.    

Ted Kramer

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 01:49:10 PM »
Shinnecock changed my entire outlook on golf courses and GCA.
That course is just spectacular!!!

Rolling Green lived up to my lofty expectaions.

-Ted

Zack Kelly

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 01:58:04 PM »
My biggest surprise golf course of the year, was Black Sheep outside of Chicago, it was great, I can't say enough great things about it.  I'd fly up there to play it again at a drop of a hat.
Fairways & Greens
Zack Quinn Kelly

Andy Doyle

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 02:22:53 PM »
Strange golf year for me ...

Played a number of new courses on various travels, but actually played much less than normal at my usual home courses (various Atlanta munis and CCFADs) due to extra work responsibilities.  >:(

Most of my rounds came in bunches on 3 golf trips - 1 to Orlando and 2 to Reynold's Plantation.  Got my handicap down to an all-time low (10.1) only to see my scoring slide into the 90's by the fall.   ???

The bookends of the golf season were the standouts for me:

Barona Creek in January
Cuscowilla in October

Andy

John Goodman

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 02:26:33 PM »
My 2005 highlight was 11 rounds in 7 days, driving around Scotland with my dad.  The "surprises" of the trip were probably Boat of Garten and Kingussie (we witnessed a pretty sporty sheep dog demonstration up in the Highlands too).  

I played my first C&C (Cuscowilla) and was impressed with how much fun and interest fairway width and centerline hazards can create.

My wife birdied #7 at Pebble.  My dad (18-ish handicap) holed probably seventy feet worth of putts on the first three holes at TOC.  I went around Pinehurst #2 without a three putt.  I have tried (unsuccessfully) to explain to my golfing buddies why a biarritz green is not "tricked up."

I played the back nine at Birmingham CC with John Bernhardt, my only live GCA contact of the year.  I hope I can get to meet more of you guys next year -  

Matt MacIver

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 02:29:52 PM »
The two courses that made the biggest impressions on me this year were Devil's Paintbrush and HarbourTown -- talk about two different concepts!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 02:29:59 PM »
It is hard to compete with the GCA outing at Casa de Campo or Mucci's great Hidden Creek outing...

Starting construction of my first new solo course is my golf architecture highlight.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 02:38:06 PM »
Highlights:

Cypress Point
Pebble and Olympic on the same glorious 70 degree day
Crystal Downs (first time)
Friars Head
Old Sandwich
Shadow Creek
Sand Hills
Merion
Oakmont
Greywalls
Kingsley

Greywalls and Kingsley were the two that surprised me the most. I knew I would like them, but I did not think I would like them that much. Old Sandwich was a treat too, but since I loved Friars Head and Sand Hills so much, I knew going in that this would be a treat and it did not let me down. The three Jim Engh courses I played were also very good.

Off the golf course, I added child #3, G.O.L.F. Little Garrett is four months old and is getting huge. We also moved into a new house in '05 (same day GOLF was born).

I also finally got to shake hands with Arnold Palmer which could be my #2 highlight of the year.
Mr Hurricane

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 02:47:30 PM »
Mike, please tell us more about the new course!  8)

One of the only good things about getting a bit on in years is having time to travel and perhaps the wherewithal to enjoy great courses.  I had a wonderful year and the opportunity to play with a number of GCA folks.  It was all fun and thank you all.

My first ever hole in one in 50 years - at Stevinson Ranch at the Kings Putter.  With a driver.  ::)  Just missed another at Mid Pines at the Dixie Cup in Pinehurst (3" behind the hole - with a driver.)  ::)  Pasatiempo and Cypress after KP and a round with Ran and his hickories before the Dixie Cup.  Tobacco Road was a lot more fun and interesting than anticipated; seeing Mike Benham play it so well was exciting if a defeating experience!

Pennard, Painswick, Alwoodley (thank you Mark R), North Berwick, Crail and the Open at St Andrews.  Lunch with Goodale and girls in Aberdour.  Drinks with FBD outside the Dunvegan.

The Walker Cup at Chicago Golf Club, best golf viewing experience ever.  Start making plans now for Royal County Down in 2007!

Yale, the Creek (thanks Mike Sweeney), Friars Head.  Great trip in spite of Delta losing my clubs on a non-stop flight.

Talking Stick North South and We-ka-po last week in Arizona.

The ongoing construction of the new Pensacola CC about which more later.

As Frank Sinatra sang, "It was a very good year."  
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 03:25:32 PM by Bill_McBride »

Norbert P

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 02:51:02 PM »
  Not many golf activities this year but the few times I went I had a great time.

Sea Ranch (Old 9), NorCal Coastline above Bodega Bay (Birds!)

THE Pajaro Valley where the esteemed Pete Galea was finally met.  Thanks again Pete for everything.  I hope the new project is coming along.  (Tell your son I was sorry to disappoint him in that I'm not an astronaut. He's a great kid.)

Barona Creek.  First time back in a few years. Still plays great but, they now say "Carts Only" but I walked and they don't have yardage books any more because, BECAUSE! "all the carts have GPS."  Ach du lieber Got im Heaven! (Go ahead Ristola, correct my Deutschesprechen.)

Also, The Chess Match to the Death on Dan King's Private Clubhouse regulation 64-square board.  I forget who "crushed" who, but there were some big swing power changes.

I should have one more course up there but I've been a shlubb.  I have not forgotten you Mike E!

Also, I finally took the "17 Mile Drive" and had a nice afternoon out there. No play but wow!    

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Cory Lewis

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 02:57:25 PM »
Guess I'll respond to my topic.

My year was very good.  I played some very high profile courses and got to know the works of Alister MacKenzie, Seth Raynor, and AW Tillinghast better.  The course that really surprised me was The Meadow Club in the Bay area, WOW, that place is the ultimate hidden gem, amazing MacKenzie greens restored expertly by Mike DeVries.  I had more fun playing that golf course then I did any other course this year.  

I had the honor of playing golf with several people from GCA, many thanks to those that hosted me at their place, and those that made the trip down to Beechtree for a round. Off the golf course I got engaged, which is very exciting.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

PThomas

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 02:57:34 PM »
what a great and fortunate year I had:

Cypress Point
Merion
Olympic
Hidden Creek
Galloway Nat
Kingsley
Crystal Downs
both courses at Olympia Fields
Five Farms
Kinloch
etc...

sleepers like Bluemound and Old Elm too

joined Ravisloe

got to meet the Wizard himself, Ran

saw my first ace,  by the aforementioned Ace McBride...a great moment even though one of my playing partners stepped on my sunglasses as we were jumping around...(I still love ya, man!)

and met some great new friends thru GCA!

here's to a great 2006 for all of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pt
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 10:32:41 AM by Paul Thomas »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 02:58:16 PM »
Great find for me: Stamford Golf Club in Stamford, NY. Their "new" course, built in 1937, is located a mile or so behind the original 9 that was located in Granthurst Park. It surrounded the Rexmere Hotel. Some of the old corridors can still be seen but houses were built on a lot of the old grounds. They are cottage style with arts and crafts thrown in here and there.

The "new' 18 is not long, about 6,300 yds, and landing areas are generous in most cases. Very little irrigation so you get brown and firm. The greens are a mix of flat, tiered and wildy undulating. Some are bunkered, some not. All are meduim-fast and in good repair.
Fun start- the 1st is a par 3 with a steep downhill drop of 50' or so to a green that slopes away from you.
Fun finish- a par 4 that is the reverse of the 1st, you play your second back up the steep hill. The surface of the green is blind and undulated and sits in a 1/2 bowl.
My favorite is the 12th, a slightly dowhill par 4 of 450 yards. Nearly impossible to find a flat lie on this canted fairway. The approach is to a smallish, mini-biarritz green.  

The views are very good, the staff is friendly, waiting is non-existent and if you play fast everyone out there lets you through with zero grief. Costs $20 to $26. A beer and a sandwich on the porch overlooking Mt. Utsayantha (Northern Catskills) is a great way and a great place to linger after a round.

I've asked but no one seems to recollect who the architect was.  
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 03:02:48 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 03:13:47 PM »
My golf highlight this year was joining and taking part in this DG.  Really.  Great fun, and have learned a ton.  With luck, perhaps will tee it up some day with others who prowl here.  

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 03:33:03 PM »
I had a pretty confined year.  I played more rounds than ever at home. I didn't go to anywhere I hadn't seen before, and only really a couple of trips beyond my home area - returning to Sutton Bay/ Nebraska.  I played in the coldest most invigorating rounds ever with some new GCA acquaintences.  It was actually brutally fun.  Then I returned to Nebraska later in year with one of my very best local friends to introduce him to both Wild Horse/Bayside and some of my very best GCA internet friends.  So, that in and of itself was most gratifying.  
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 03:35:17 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 03:39:58 PM »
Jeez Paul, didn't you play Five Farms this year too? I can't believe that didn't make your highlights ;).
Mr Hurricane

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 03:39:59 PM »
"Being tracked down and receiving a large wedge of cash while drinking agua tinta at Ran's was a most pleasant surprise."

I have no idea why Sean was surprised about that - when I was planning my trip to the UK in July, Pennard sounded great so wanted to play and Sean said he would call and make the tee time, a very nice thing to do.  When we got there, I found out he had also paid the green fee in advance!  So I brought along an appropriate amount of $$$ to Pinehurst where I knew I'd see him.  

This all typified the spirit of generosity and camaradarie that to me makes GCA.com the wonderful organization it is.  Thanks for making those arrangements, Sean, Pennard is great fun!  

Joe Hancock

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 03:46:59 PM »
Paul Thomas:

Don't make me tell your wife you left her BIRDIE on Greywalls #6 off from your list!!!!! ;D

Merry Christmas,

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

PThomas

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 03:48:02 PM »
oh Sh**, Jim, I forgot :-[!

but I will plead for the court's mercy because  I did include"etc" on my initial post!!

FF is a great course with in an almost too-good-to-be-true setting.......the white fence, the beautiful clubhouse, the hills...a truly idyllic scene...twas a beautiful day and a great morning Jim...even thought your tee balls went way too far past mine!

and you remember my goal for us this year!

pt
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 03:48:55 PM »
This has been the best of years. I met so many great people from this site and saw the work of many great architects as well. The top of the mountain was much like a great mountain range. There is a peak then another and then another. The biggest and best peak other than good health was seeing and playing Sand Hills. This was mere weeks after being at Friars Head which is none too shabby itself. Coore and Crenshaw have made incredible contributions to the golf architecture world. A good dose of Tilly and Macdonald with a revisit to Mac's course on the west coast,CP, were right there. I saw Strans work at MPCC along with so many other great courses across the country. I am a blessed man and thank each of you for being a part of all this fun.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 03:52:12 PM »
2005 was a great year for me in the world of golf course architecture.  First of all I played in Pat Mucci's Hidden Creek event with Tommie and George and had a great dinner with the guys at Chef Volas.  Also played Galloway while I was in the area which is my favorite Fazio course.  

Was lucky enough to get to Long Island and play Friar's Head, NGLA, Shinnecock and Maidstone, as well as walk a few holes at Sebonack.  There simply is nothing like it.

Played Kapalua and Princeville on a family trip to Hawaii, and I thought the Plantation course is one of the best ever.

Played Silverleaf, We-Ko-Pa, Quintero, Desert Mountain and Troon on a trip to Arizona, and they all were great.

Played Baltimore CC and French Creek on local trips which are great examples of classical and modern architecture.

I'm looking forward to trips to Hilton Head, Bandon and Nebraska this year to expand my knowledge of golf course architecture.

2005 was also the first year that both of my sons played with me which is the coolest experience of them all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back