News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jay Flemma

Query for GCAers - Scottsdale Hotels and restaurants
« on: December 20, 2005, 02:00:50 PM »
So my crew and I are headed to the Big Saguaro (thats Scottsdale, AZ) for my annual New Years break.  I need GCAers thoughts on places to stay.  Gimme a wide range from "Good value" to "Pay any price, this place is the ultra"

Has anyone stayed at MCCORMICK RANCH and is it any good?  We are thinking of bunkering down there...I know nothing about it...

What did you all think of RESORT SUITES?  I rather liked it when I stayed there a few years ago...simple, but had everything I really needed (well, except a restaurant).

Personally, I know the price is astronomical and the golf a little resorty, but I'll confess a secret shame in really enjoying everything about THE BOULDERS.  

For those curious, my crew and I are doing what I call the "minimalist tour."  It means we're playing what courses you think we are;);)(' ;)')
well and Blackstone...that's not minimalist, but I think it'll rock nonetheless, call it a hunch.

Also, does anybody have restaurant recommendations for scottsdale?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 02:01:59 PM by Jay Flemma »

Jason Mandel

Re:Query for GCAers - Scottsdale Hotels and restaurants
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 02:27:58 PM »
DON & CHARLIES IN SCOTTSDALE- It's my parents favorite place in Scottsdale, great ribs, steaks andchicken and a fun atmposphere.  Not too expensive either.

Jason

You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

John Foley

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 02:36:44 PM »
Jay - I like the Marriott Desert Ridge alot, thought it's probably pricey if your picking up the tab. They have some very good resteraunts (Blue Sage - Mark Millers place had a great lunch that was reasonable). Some guys we ran into we're stayting at Resort Suites and they had very good things to say.

We also had Mexican at Abuelo's right off 101. Very good food atmosphere & price. We did Steaks at Maestro's in N Scottsdale, while very good, it's not cheap and  the wine list dissapointed.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 02:37:25 PM by john_foley »
Integrity in the moment of choice

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 02:54:56 PM »
Definitely Don & Charlies for Happy Hour and Dinner. Make sure to make a reservation!

Now for something completely different: GREASEWOOD FLATS!

It is a combination bar, junk yard and petting zoo! Great place to be as the sun is setting. It is located just past Pinnacle Peak Patio (Don't bother going there) and just before the entrance to Troon.

Truly a unique experience!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 03:06:15 PM »
Restaurants - we were there last weekend and these two were good.  Both right on Scottsdale Road south of Shea:

Bloom - so good we went there one night and back the next

Veneto Trattoria - excellent Italian with a Venetian emphasis

I discovered to my horror that We-Ka-Po is cart paths only.  Talking Stick North and South, the best public IMHO.

Take a couple of sweaters and a windbreaker, it was chilly, low 60's.

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 03:08:47 PM »
Scottsdale Princess is excellent. 5 star Mexican Restaurant there
is the best of its kind I've encountered.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 03:09:44 PM »
I liked Baby Kay's Cajun Kitchen quite a bit, but this was four years ago.  Things can change.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 03:11:05 PM »
Jay:

I had a watch stolen out of my room at the Boulders, and, since I did not have it in the safe the hotel took no responsibility.  In turn, I will never return and wouldn't recommend the resort to anyone.  

I was also not overly impressed with the place anyway.  

Jason

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 03:14:28 PM »
For a great steak go to Durants www.durantsaz.com, it's in downtown PH and worth the drive.  

Totally old school.

Tom Renli

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 03:37:46 PM »
Jay, opposite my golf game, I consider myself a +4 handicap eater so her goes my restaurant list:

Uncle Sam's (Shea/101) - potentially better cheesesteak than you can get in Philly
Richardson's (16th st/Bethany Home) - great New Mexico food
Texaz (16th st/Bethany Home) - chicken fried steak, beer and nap
Teepee (42nd st/Indian School) - family run Mexican, W at there
Nello's (Shea/101) - Chicago pizza
Patsy Grimaldi's (DC Ranch) - Brooklyn pizza
Chicago Hamberger (38th st/Indian School) - sliders

Please email if you have questions.  Thanks, Tom

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 03:43:14 PM »
Texaz (16th st/Bethany Home) - chicken fried steak, beer and nap

Duly noted by the Hillbilly Tour.  But shouldn't that read: "chicken fried steak, beer, nap and beer?"

Mike
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 03:44:58 PM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jason Mandel

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 03:43:53 PM »
Jay, opposite my golf game, I consider myself a +4 handicap eater so her goes my restaurant list:

Uncle Sam's (Shea/101) - potentially better cheesesteak than you can get in Philly

Tom,  
I've never met you, and I've never been to this "Uncle Sam's" you refer to.  However, I seriously have to question your "+4 eater handicap if your suggesting a cheesesteak place in Scottsdale Arizona is potentially better than something you would get in Philadelphia.

Please elaborate on this.  I have been to many places that profess to have a Philadelphia cheesesteak, even those places that fly in the Amoroso rolls, but none really come close. :)

I'm sure my fellow Philly brethen will back statement up.

Jason

You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 04:05:02 PM »
I agree with Don&Charlies,especially if you like sports memorobilia. The ribs are their trademark. If you like a sports bar atmosphere to watch some football, try the Fox Sports Grill across Scottsdale Road from Kierland.The food is good too. Flo's Market is good for Asian in The Market at DC Ranch. Mastro's Steak House at Pima&Pinnacle Peak is the best for steaks and chops.Eddie V's is good for seafood at The Market at DC Ranch. For a southwest flair, Roaring Fork near Scottsdale Fashion Square is good. The Tonto Grill in Rancho Manana in Cave Creek is good. Chompie's on Shea in Scottsdale is the place for deli.Ocean Club for seafood, Zinc for French bistro and North for Italian are all good in Kierland.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jay Flemma

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 04:08:15 PM »
Great stuff so far guys!

John F, you're right, MDR looks nice, but the prices are 2x those of McCormick Ranch and more that Resort Suites.

Craig, you're right, Scottsdale Princess is a little high, but it is 5 stars...I think one night we might have dinner there one night.  This trip my friends and I are gonna spend 200-250 a night.  

redman, you're right, RS is a little spartan, but I have no problem saying its a good value for budget to one step above travellers...big cheap rooms...it fills a needed price range...and hey, its convienient to all the great golf.

Arizona Biltmore looked good...some rooms 250-333...good price.  definitely gonna add that to my list for next time...gainey ranch was $400 a night

Zinc looks like one I might wanna try for dinner too.

Tom, I am really sorry to hear about your misfortune at the boulders, that sounds like they really were acting irresponsibly towards you and I am frankly disappointed in them.  Next time that ever happens, call the cops and have them come in to take a report...not only will it speed up investigation, but the threat of "a scene" might make them more amenable to solving the problem themselves to your satisfaction.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 04:37:41 PM by Jay Flemma »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 04:12:13 PM »
Don't forget a visit to Hornacek's Golf Shop in the AJ's shopping center at Pima&Pinnacle Peak. Good stuff and staff.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 04:27:23 PM »
I forgot an old favorite- El Chorro Lodge on Lincoln Drive in Paradise Valley. Great old Arizona charm and ambience and the food is good too. Also in Paradise Valley is Lon's at the Hermosa Inn. Great old southwest ambience plus good food. Also, Pizzeria Bianco in downtown Phoenix is reputed to have the best pizza in the USA.I'll try it on my next visit. Crazy  Ed's Satisfied Frog in Cave Creek has good ribs,etc to go with the unusual name.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 04:29:20 PM »
My days as a +4 eater are long gone :(, give me a great salad at Cheesecake Factory and I'm happy.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

PjW

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005, 04:37:44 PM »
Jay:

Having relocated from Scottsdale I recommend the following eateries:
  .Flo's-Frank Lloyd Wright/Thompson Peak in the AJ center, asian.
  .Oreganos for pizza, SE cornor of Shea/Scottsdale road.
  .Ciao Cowboy, good wine list and diverse menu, elk was great.  Old Town Scottsdale.
  .Hopa's, asian/american fusion.  Lincoln and Scottsdale Rd.
  .Roys at Desert Ridge or Seville Row (Indian Bend / Scottsdale Rd.
  .In and Out Burger wherever you find one.  Just east of Scottsdale Road on Bell.

I have to go eat lunch now!

Phil

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2005, 04:42:23 PM »
We were there in the spring and really enjoyed El Encanto
http://www.elencantorestaurant.com/Menus.htm

Good food great margaritas.

It was up north in Cave Creek/Carefree if you will be staying that way.
Steve Pozaric

Tom Renli

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2005, 04:46:15 PM »
Jason, same criteria for golf courses applies to Cheesesteaks - hard to evaluate or have an opinion if you have never played it or ate it.  I am saying it in jest to see if anyone in PA is paying attention, but trust me Uncle Sam's is really good.

John Foley

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 04:49:46 PM »
I know someone who works in Boulder w/ me who is from NJ who swears they have a place there which is as good as Pat & Gino's.

Anyone know the place & can comment?
Integrity in the moment of choice

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2005, 04:50:49 PM »
Tom

I prefer a Double Double at In-N-Out over a non Philly cheesesteak any day.It's all in the rolls. Actually, Atlantic City rolls at Dino's in Margate are better than most rolls in Philly unless the rolls are from Sarcone's bakery in South Philly. ;D

Steve
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 05:06:40 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005, 05:08:41 PM »
For wine drinking, nothing beats Atlas, a little bistro that is attached to the Arizona Wine Co. Food is good and you pay retail to drink any wine in the shop (and the wine shop has pretty good prices).

Jay Flemma

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 10:53:35 AM »
How about Greek?  Anybody have a recommendation for greek?  Preferably in Scottsdale, but I'll drive a few minutes...

as for places to stay, we got a really good deal at the MCormick Ranch, so I'll give it a shot...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 10:55:39 AM by Jay Flemma »

Tony Petersen

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2005, 04:07:02 PM »
 ;DMcCormick Ranch is in a great location as far as being in the "heart" of SCottsdale. The Palms is nothing special; The Pines is the site of the FBR qualifier and kinda fun if your sick of the Desert Golf vibe. Also nearby is Gainey Ranch, Orange Tree, Starfire and a host of "traditional" resort courses ala AZ!
Now food... If you make it up to Carefree, El Encanto Mexican can't be beat (even has a fountain/pond in the middle of the outdoor seating).... BadAss Donkey has fanastic sandwiches, The Horny Toad has some of the best fried chicken I have had the pleasure of tasting and Harolds is an old-school Western honkey tonk if you guys are looking to grab a steak and get your 2-step on!!!
Scottsdale has too many good restaraunts of mention... Pizzeria Bianco was voted the best pizza in the US by the food critic from the NY Times!!! Oreganos is delicious italian, as is La Laconda. Soporo has fantastic cuisine from the Pacific Rim...Don't know much about the Greek scene (other than the occasional betty in Old-Town ;D) but I would guarantee that you can find some on Camelback near Old Town... Send me an email if you need some more info... I work at The Desert Mountain Club and live 5 minutes from McCormick, so I know waaaaay more about the "scene" than is legally allowed this side of the border ;) Have a great time and let me know what you think of Blackstone!!!
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back