News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

The Institute of Mathematics
« on: December 16, 2005, 11:14:35 AM »
What's up with the golf course?  I know a certain Mississippian might be sworn to secrecy, but anybody else?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Huckaby

Re:The Institute of Mathematics
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 11:27:17 AM »
You're talking about the place in Gilroy, CA?

Hell Neal Meagher is sworn to secrecy about that place.  And I still haven't heard about anyone actually playing it.  Fred Funk was on the radio before the Tour event at Harding and he actually said he's not allowed to talk about it!  That is that he's playing a super-secret course south of San Jose but he can't say anything about it.

Of course I too would expect anyone here who has played it to spill the beans, though.

;D

Last I heard Gib was going to get to play it.  But I haven't spoken to the great Armenian in quite awhile.

I will say that a few months ago I drove as close as one can get to it and peered at it... but you can't really get that close nor see that much.  It was very green and the bunkers were very white.  How's that for a report?
TH
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 11:28:39 AM by Tom Huckaby »

ForkaB

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 11:32:54 AM »
I've heard that this "golf course" rumour is just a smokescreen.  Actually the site is largely underground and is where the CIA take prisoners who are too tough for Guantanamo.  Maybe that's why we haven't heard from Neal M. recently--he told Huckaby, and they found out........

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 11:33:44 AM »
You're talking about the place in Gilroy, CA?

Leave it to Huck to get the wrong city, it's in his own backyard ... Neal did a post on it awhile back, try the search.

Google Overhead - The Institute

Morgan Hill is the location and you just missed the "Gaps between Primes" workshop:

"This workshop, sponsored by AIM and the NSF, will be devoted to the recent work of Goldston, Pintz, and Yildirim on gaps between primes and primes in tuples. The work depends on a surprisingly effective variation of the Selberg sieve, and it has connections and applications to other problems in sieve methods. We seek participants who are experts in sieve methods as well as those who are not; in particular, we encourage those who may be unfamiliar with sieves but have expertise in other areas of number theory to attend. The simplicity of the basic ideas should allow the participants to quickly understand both what is known and what are the main unresolved questions. Further applications and relationships to other areas of number theory will be explored.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 11:37:35 AM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 11:36:07 AM »
Mike - you mean there really is a difference between Morgan Hill and Gilroy?  Man they all blend together to me.

;D ;D

But you are correct.  Morgan Hill it is.  Now tell me where Cordevalle is located, without cheating and looking it up.

TH

ps - dammit, they tortured me - sorry Neal!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 11:36:31 AM »
Hey Nuzzo,

Please interpret.

Tell me these guys wouldn't be fun to golf the ball with.  I cannot fathom what their golf course looks like.  I gotta see this place.  What a cultural exchange.  Think Jethro Bodine meets Milburn Drysdale. 8)

Dude.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 11:37:37 AM by Bogey_Hendren »

SPDB

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 11:38:03 AM »
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 11:38:17 AM by SPDB »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 11:40:15 AM »
SPDB - that looks right to me.  The drag is that road you see on the left of the aerial pic is quite below the golf course - that is the course is raised up above it, going up the hill - and on top of that there are hedges and buildings obscuring the view.

TH

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 11:43:13 AM »
Tell me these guys wouldn't be fun to golf the ball with.  I cannot fathom what their golf course looks like.  I gotta see this place.  What a cultural exchange.  Think Jethro Bodine meets Milburn Drysdale. 8)

Mikie -

You do know that you a're speaking about Santa Clara University graduates !

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 11:45:35 AM »
You do know that you a're speaking about Santa Clara University graduates !
\

Now do you appreciate how intimidated I was by you and Huckaby?

Mike

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 11:51:19 AM »
As well you should have been, Mike.

BTW, it is a sad day for all Broncos as our women fell in the national volleyball semifinals last night, to Nebraska of all people.  A gift shall be winging eastward shortly to a certain Husker I played golf with this year.  Dammit.

Interestingly, the victim in the other semifinal was Tennessee.  I'm sure all Vols are teary-eyed over this as well, Mike.  You are bearing the pain well.

:'(

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 11:55:12 AM »
Tom,

I did not know we had a women's volleyball team.  Perhaps we even have a decent women's basketball squad, too?  Surely they still play six on six.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 12:06:23 PM by Bogey_Hendren »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 12:03:30 PM »
Tom,

I did not know we had a women's volleyball team.  Perhaps we even have a decent women's basketball squad, too?

Mike

Your priorities remain extremely admirable.

;D ;D

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 12:06:37 PM »
Have you guys tried to GOOGLE EARTH the location? I just love this tool, especially for checking out golf terrain!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 12:08:14 PM »
Them's fightin' words.

Remember my employer.

But the answer is yes.

;D

Compare the google-earth pic to the one SPDB posted... the former is old - hardly any bunkers - or am I dreaming?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 12:12:30 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Michael Hayes

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 12:13:18 PM »
From looking at it on google earth I see the straightest square tee boxes ever...well they are math geeks ::)
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2005, 12:15:05 PM »
Gentlemen:

I would truly enjoy discussing more of this interesting project with all of you and hope you can appreciate that I must, however, oblige the client's wishes.  

I will state that since the course has now been generally complete for almost six years, it is maturing nicely.  That aerial, by the way, is about two and a half years old.

The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2005, 12:17:14 PM »
Gentlemen:

I would truly enjoy discussing more of this interesting project with all of you and hope you can appreciate that I must, however, oblige the client's wishes.  

I will state that since the course has now been generally complete for almost six years, it is maturing nicely.  That aerial, by the way, is about two and a half years old.

Absolutely understood re the secrecy, Neal.

And the google-earth aerial looks even older...

TH

Michael Hayes

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 12:37:17 PM »
I found this online, man those math guys know how to do it right...BTW I have a good friend who is a math prof at U of Alaska and a golfer.  I think I will put a bug in his ear for this summer ;D!

National Science Foundation Awards $5 Million Grant To Silicon Valley's
American Institute of Mathematics
Funds Earmarked for Creation of New US Math Research Conference Center; Scenic Morgan Hill To Become World-Class Math Destination Visited By Hundreds of Mathematicians Each Year

PALO ALTO, CA--July 12, 2002--The American Institute of Mathematics (AIM) today announced that it has been awarded a grant of $5 million by the National Science Foundation. The award is the result of a proposal submitted by AIM as part of a national competition. The funds will be used to support top mathematicians and scientists to attend focused workshops at a new conference center planned for Morgan Hill. AIM, a nonprofit organization, was founded in 1994 by local businessmen John Fry and Steve Sorenson, longtime supporters of mathematical research.

The AIM Research Conference Center (ARCC) will be one of only a handful of its kind world wide, and is expected to become a stimulating retreat for some of today's brightest minds as they collaborate to solve important mathematical problems.

"We are extremely gratified to have been awarded this grant," said Brian Conrey, Director of the AIM. "Over the last few years, the American Institute of Mathematics has been a pioneer in the development of groundbreaking collaborations that have led to remarkable mathematical results. The atmosphere of active collaboration at these workshops will lead to novel ways of thinking about--and solving--the critical mathematical problems that are essential for future scientific breakthroughs. Our plans are ambitious, but they are in keeping with the pressing need to address the numerous challenges that confront us."

A new mathematics center
The AIM Research Conference Center is planned for a 190-acre site, located 25 miles south of San Jose in Morgan Hill, CA. Plans proposed by AIM include the use of two existing buildings and the renovation of another large building on the site. The architectural style for the new research center is modeled on the famous "Alhambra," the Moorish palace in Granada, Spain, which is renowned for its fascinating geometric proportions and mathematically intricate patterns.

Once completed, ARCC will have a main lecture hall that seats 100, a dining hall, an extensive library, several additional meeting rooms, and visitor accommodations. Twenty-four weeklong workshops are planned each year, on a diverse range of topics. Up to 32 mathematicians will be housed on-site during each workshop, so that they can focus, as a group, on developing advanced mathematical tools. Sketches of the new ARCC facility can be viewed at the ARCC homepage.

Bandonistas Unite!!!

Mike Benham

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2005, 01:18:12 PM »
Gentlemen:

Neal -

Almost verbatim to what you said last year ... ;)

Mike

Mike Benham

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2005, 01:22:38 PM »
Michael -

Dig further online for articles dealing with the City of Morgan Hill, Santa Clara County and the zoning issues ... you might realize that your chance to play the course is as likely as understanding some of the math principles that the Insitute is reasearching.

Mike

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2005, 03:32:36 PM »
I will be attending the following conference and will try to capture some pics. ;D

January 30 to February 3, 2006

at the

American Institute of Mathematics, Palo Alto, California

organized by

Maria Chudnovsky, Paul Seymour, and Robin Thomas

This workshop, sponsored by AIM and the NSF, will focus on the Caccetta-Haggkvist conjecture, which in its simplest form asserts the following:

If G is an n-vertex directed graph with minimum outdegree at least n/k, then G has a directed cycle of length at most k.

This has a number of variants and strengthenings, and in particular it has numerous connections with additive number theory. The workshop aims to clarify and develop these variants, and to bring together people working on different aspects of the conjecture in the hope of finding a solution.

The workshop will differ from typical conferences in some regards. Participants will be invited to suggest open problems and questions before the workshop begins, and these will be posted on the workshop website. These include specific problems on which there is hope of making some progress during the workshop, as well as more ambitious problems which may influence the future activity of the field. Lectures at the workshop will be focused on familiarizing the participants with the background material leading up to specific problems, and the schedule will include discussion and working sessions.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Michael Hayes

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2005, 03:52:34 PM »
Wow!  No wonder they have a golf course to relax at.  My head hurts just reading the conference info ;D ;D ;D...But hey, I just run a lawnmower :P
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2005, 03:52:50 PM »
Steve - as part of the conference do you go to the Morgan Hill facility, or is all of it in Palo Alto?  Benham's jibes aside, those really are two separate places I'm guessing about 30 miles apart.

If you are going to see the course, hell yes post some pictures!

TH

ps - I've always been a big fan of the Caccetta-Haggkvist conjencture.  

pss - if you believe that I have some land 10 miles west of Half Moon Bay to sell you.  ;)

Andy Hughes

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2005, 03:58:55 PM »
in its simplest form asserts the following:

If G is an n-vertex directed graph with minimum outdegree at least n/k, then G has a directed cycle of length at most k.

Can't wait to see the more complex forms  :'(
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back