News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig_Rokke

How "hands-on" was Raynor?
« on: December 09, 2005, 07:54:19 AM »
I was reading a couple different short histories on Raynor
and Banks. When Raynor passed away at age 42, Banks
finished by one estimate 10, and by another, nearly 30 courses that were already in progress.

I would think that only the largest firms working today would have as many as 10 ongoing projects. Was Raynor spread thin? Did he manage to devote a lot of personal attention
to each course?

Does anyone know if Banks finished those Raynor courses according to Raynor's plans, or did he begin to implement some of the personal style trademarks he became known for in his solo career?

Patrick_Mucci

Re:How "hands-on" was Raynor?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 08:39:55 AM »
Craig,

There's a harmonius blend and continuum in the golf courses by CBM, SR and CB.

George Bahto's account in "The Evangelist of Golf" may be helpful.

Scott Ramsay

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 08:58:42 AM »
I have a series of photos given to me by the former long time superintendent of Yale showing the construction superintendent and Seth Raynor surveying greens complexes( double punchbowl) and features(priciples nose) at NGLA and them touring Yale during the build.

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 09:16:20 AM »
Scott -

We met last year at the 1st tee - congrats on all of your efforts!

Is there any way that you could post those pictures?  I love looking at the pictures in the clubhouse.

JWK

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 10:11:17 AM »

According to John Caldwell, author of 'Mountain Lake' in 1986, Raynor came to Florida for the first time in his life in the Spring of 1915, where he met by Fred Olmstead and they toured the Belleaire Hotel’s two 18 hole golf courses in Clearwater, Florida. Over at Mountain Lake, Olmstead and Raynor walked the projected course often together, and at night Raynor would sit down with Olmstead’s contour map to piece the course together. By mid-May of 1915, Raynor and Olmstead had the course design incorporated into the overall plan. Models were then built by Raynor and sent from Southampton where holes 1-6 and current 16-18 were completed by December of 1916. As funding was tight, the course played as 9 holes until May of 1920 when Ruth wrote Raynor that it was time to complete the second 9 holes. On October 2, 1920, Ruth played the first 18 hole round at Mountain Lake. The basic design has been altered from time to time. However the first major changes were made by Charles Banks in 1929 and again later by Olmstead Brothers based on a report written in 1952.

It was not clear for the above passage, but Raynor never saw the second 9 that was built.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 10:12:32 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back