News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Soileau

Nicklaus/Dye Co-Design
« on: December 07, 2005, 04:29:13 PM »
Since I haven't seen anything yet on GCA concerning the new Nicklaus/Dye Co-Design, I assume you guys haven't heard about it.  

We are involved in a new master planned community being developed 50 miles Northeast of Las Vegas called Coyote Springs.  Coyote Springs is a 43,000 acre tract of land that sits on the biggest aquifer in Nevada.  It has been approved for 180,000 units and 15 golf courses with a built out of probably 40 years.  The PGA of America will have their PGA Village West located here and will have a 50 acre practice facility.  

We are under construction on the first of six Nicklaus signature courses to be designed and built here, five of which will be known as the Bear Trail.  In addition to those six there will be the Jack/Pete co-design that will begin construction next summer.  Jack and Pete were on-site together a few weeks ago for the initial walk-through of the routing of the course.  It was an amazing experience to be there watching these two banter back in forth about their first collaboration in 30 some years.  

I am anxious to hear what comments the treehouse has about this amazing reunion.

SPDB

Re:Nicklaus/Dye Co-Design
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 04:33:30 PM »
Tom -
Any reason why you chose Nicklaus to do all 6 courses (even if one is a co-design)?

Tom Soileau

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 04:38:37 PM »
SPDB,

If you re-read the post, I mentioned that the property was approved for 15 courses, so only 6 will be Nicklaus and one will be Jack/Pete

John Foley

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 04:41:34 PM »
Tom,

Last time I was in Vegas I saw some details in the local paper. It's one ambitous plan. Can you share any of the mast plans or thoughts on the developments? I tried to find a web site but there was nothing then, anything yet?

I just spent some time in AZ last week and am amazed by the growth of the region. They say Scottsdale & N PHX is built out as there is no more water. Sitting on an aquifer will help tremendoucly. Will any of the courses be lower profile/lower cost?
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tom Soileau

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 04:46:34 PM »
John,

Try this website and think it will answer some of your questions.  www.coyotesprings.com

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 05:15:03 PM »
I'm amazed that a project this big could proceed with Las Vegas running out of water?   Golf courses are being closed and homeowners are being paid to replant their yards with vegatation that doesn't require water.

Sean:  The answer is simple why Nicklaus was choosen to do the six initial courses.   Look at Desert Mountain and do the math$$$.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 05:19:59 PM »
Tom,

The scale of the project is mind-boggling! Wow.

I love Harbourtown. It's one of the first really great golf courses I was introduced to as a kid. I continue to hold sentimental feelings for the place.

Here's hoping Pete and Jack create something really cool in Nevada...
jeffmingay.com

Matt MacIver

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 05:33:40 PM »

I love Harbourtown. It's one of the first really great golf courses I was introduced to as a kid. I continue to hold sentimental feelings for the place.

Here's hoping Pete and Jack create something really cool in Nevada...

Agree completely.  And can someone define aquifer for us East- Coast folks....

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 06:03:18 PM »
Tom can you tell us how it came about that they should work together on the new course?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 06:04:53 PM »
Joel,
Carefully read Tom's opening post. Nevada's Biggest Aquifer...

Tom,
Noel Freeman has mentioned to me in the past of the development, but I hadn't heard of the Nicklaus/Dye collaboration. VERY INTERESTING! Can hardly wait to see it. Do you guys have any plans on it yet? What is the course going to look like, or what kind of look are you guys shooting for?

SPDB

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 06:07:51 PM »
Tom -
Thanks for the clarification.

Joel -
Is 6 Nicklaus courses any more of a marketing chip than, say, 2 or 3?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 06:09:55 PM »
Tom,

Like Tony, I'd like to hear about how the collaboration came about?

Jack has enough collaborators on his payroll, doesn't he  ;)
jeffmingay.com

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 06:15:20 PM »
Tom Soileau,

That's certainly a huge project.

But, SPDB asks a valid question, why have one designer create 40 % of your golf courses, especially when they're all deemed to be "Signature" designs.

One would think that the developers might have followed the Keiser model in an attempt to diversify the product and the ability to market different golf courses.

I would make the same comments if Tom Doak or C&C or any one individual was the apparent linch pin to the golf effort.

Keep us posted on the status of the project.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 10:30:56 PM »
Joel,
Carefully read Tom's opening post. Nevada's Biggest Aquifer...

I read it and made an assumption that first come first served.  The first come would be Las Vegas which is running out of water.   Its ironic that you have one of the most popular cities in the world just 50 miles away without enough water and 2 of the most powerful developers in the country building a vast city with control of the states largest aquifer?  It just smells (I could be wrong) of power and influence and money.

Sean:
When you trying to sell 180,000 homes, 6 Nicklaus courses are better than 2 especially to people who have no idea who C&C or Tom Doak are and nobody including the developer cares about classic quality golf courses.

redanman

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 02:51:50 PM »
Nobody asked, and I am certan that no one cares .........
 but I vote for 16 different architects if it's not too late.

IMO Desert Mountain has suffered from one Nicklaus course after another.  It would be the same with anyone else building six in the same spot, even Pinehurst didn't do it.

IF, IF all you want to do is sell out the homes then by all means limit the architects to Nicklaus, Fazio, RTJ, JR and Pete Dye, but just where is golf supposed to fit into all of this other than backyard scenery if one architect is given almost half the work?

Name another Dye-Nicklaus collaboration besides Harbour Town.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 01:11:20 PM by redanmanŽ aka BillV »

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 05:36:52 PM »
Tom S.

I would change the name from Bear Trail to Bear Tracks.  Talk to Jack, I am sure he'll go for it.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 07:19:24 PM »

Name another Dye-Nicklaus collaboration besides Harbour Town.

The Briar Patch, Lake Geneva WI (part of the Playboy Club, now Grand Geneva Resort, and sister course to The Brute), renovated by Bob Cupp and name-changed to The Highlands.

Jeff Goldman
That was one hellacious beaver.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 07:43:02 PM »
Posted by redanman aka BillV:

"IMO Desert Mountain has suffered from one Nicklaus course after another to the point that it borders on absurd.  Best support that I can give."

Sorry partner -- don't buy that. I'm not suggesting Desert Mtn hits home runs on all cylinders but no less than three of the layouts -- Geronimo, Chirichua and Outlaw have done well in terms of their architectural style / motif. I would rate all three of them among my top 10-12 courses in all of AZ.

Frankly, if Lyle Anderson had not aborted two holes on the original Geronimo track -- the former 13th & 14th holes -- the overall layout will still be among the best I've played in all of AZ. Sadly, the course is a bit lower because of these so-called improvements.

Don't deny the fact that courses like Apache and Cochise are less so and I have a mixed opinion on Renegade. The original premise in having different tee / pin locations depending upon handicap level was not a bad one but the sheer repetitive nature can be a bit defeating.

I also ddon't deny that Desert Mtn is indeed a massive complex but the design elements are not poured from one large pre-cast design of forumlaic outcomes.

I will concede that following the Keiser method in "spreading the gravy" around can add to the marketing / branding appeal of the different courses. The model that Bandon has chosen has clearly demonstrated that success.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 08:58:40 PM »
Matt Ward,

What design features distinguish Geronimo, Outlaw and Chirichua from one another, as well as the other two.

What is it about each course that makes it totally unique from the others ?

redanman

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2005, 10:33:01 PM »
Bingo, quick draw there, Jeff.  

I can't recall any others, though. Anyone else know of another?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 01:11:50 PM by redanmanŽ aka BillV »

Robert Thompson

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 10:46:13 PM »
Could anyone really distinguish between six Jack Nicklaus courses built in the desert? Sounds like an odd idea to me. Interesting that Pete would get involved with Jack again...
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Tom Soileau

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 11:45:54 PM »
Typical....I am sorry to say that I had hoped that this thread would start some interesting thought about how great this course could turn out, but as I had feared, it is just going to turn out to be a Jack hate-feast as most threads concerning Jack on this site are.  You guys are so blinded by your distain for the man, you wouldn't know if he was designing great courses or not.  I thought that after he and Doak collaborated at Sebonack that the attitude would start to change.  The truth is for those of us who have been there and seen the course in person and who have talked at length with the people who were on-site all the time, the story is a lot different about what really went down there, how Doak got the job, what Doak and Urbina's attitude on-site was really like.  I doesn't really matter though.  You guys will always believe that whatever is good about Sebonack was because of Doak and whatever is bad is because of Jack.

I was amazed to read the posts on a recent thread about Dismal River and nothing positive was said about the style and
shaping of the course evident from the pics that all of you drool on and on about from Doak or Coore and Crenshaw.  The entire thread became about the name of the course and nothing else.  If it would have been the exact same pics from a Doak or Hanse course in the Sand Hills you guys would have waxed poetic about how wonderful it was.  

I have no idea why I waste my time ever logging onto this site.  Hey, there's an idea, I won't waste my time anymore.  Good luck boys.  Have fun in your treehouse circle jerk.  

RJ_Daley

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2005, 12:18:39 AM »
Mr Soileau, that was a world class rant, much of it I'm sorry to say appears to be of an oddly defensive nature, only stating generalities.  If you find this to be a Doak love-in, I think you are partially wrong.  If you think it is a Jack hatefest you are even more wrong.  Discuss specifics if you have any.  

The treatment Dismal River is getting is merely high anticipation, and some mild comment based only on pictures that either came from the DR web site, or some inside source.  Why not get some of these so-called Doak sychophants (and those that don't worship at his feet) out to DR to see for themselves.  But, if they see something not all that great, either be big enough to defend it or own up to it, as well as accept the kudos, should it turn out great.

Many both defended and expressed amazement that JN didn't or hasn't ever gone out to SHGC to take a look.  I am in that camp that is shocked and amazed, and theorised that JN might be getting tired of it all after all these years.

Believe me, there will be plenty of detractors for the Coyote Springs project of such a vast scope, offered by people that never hear nor care about Tom Doak or Ben and Bill.  When you play in that league,  you better be willing to listen and respond with more facts and rationale defending the grandiose concept than a rant about some perceived Sack Jack Pack.  

PS: Here is a link to an aerial of the area of Coyote Springs...
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.827974,-114.908066&spn=0.089546,0.149380&t=k&hl=en
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 12:23:57 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

paul cowley

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2005, 06:37:07 AM »
Tom....I don't know if you will see this if you never log on again, but I think your what organization suffers from here is its size [your 06 calender lists 102 courses in design or under construction], and the ability to be able to connect these to a person or even individuals......its much easier with Doak or Coore.
 I know this well as I work in a similar organization where the concept of branding is practiced, but we are small enough to work in a single team format.[we only have 6 courses in design or under construction].

....just curious, how does the Nicklaus organization break down in its various designer components?....
I played golf with Jim Lipe this summer and I have met quite a few others from your group in the past....and if you hang in here I look forward to meeting you ;).

Even Mr Nicklaus seems to be signaling some kind of new evolution and from what I have been able to see of late, its going to be very interesting.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2005, 07:07:24 AM »
Typical....I am sorry to say that I had hoped that this thread would start some interesting thought about how great this course could turn out, but as I had feared, it is just going to turn out to be a Jack hate-feast as most threads concerning Jack on this site are.  You guys are so blinded by your distain for the man, you wouldn't know if he was designing great courses or not.

Tom,

I think there is more to it than what you described. This site does not talk about money and economics much, but I think it is relevant here. The Nicklaus design fee of $2.0 million obviously gets passed onto the consumer, and I am a consumer.

To date, I have only played 1 Nicklaus course - London Golf Club - International, which may have been one of his sons as the name designer. I liked it very much and had an enjoyable day. It was a business thing, so price was not really a factor after a 6 hour flight.

Living in NYC, there is not too much Nicklaus around. I have not gone to Mansion Ridge yet. I have heard very mixed on the course from a variety of people. My basic view is "nice course but pricey." If you take the Nicklaus design fee out of the equation and bring in a architect who charges $500,000 or less and moves less dirt and thus has lower construction cost, is Mansion Ridge now a fairer price?

I have always wanted to go up to St Andrews (NY) because of its history, but many people do not like the Nicklaus redo. I know one or two members (not well), so I never felt a need to pursue it.

Great Bear Golf in the Poconos sounds nice, just have not made the trip, as it does not sound like a "must play."

When I was in Hilton Head, I passed on Harbour Town, which is why you started this thread about a Nicklaus/Dye collaboration, as it was a family vacation, and I did not want to spend $250 each for my son and I to play. We went to Palmetto Dunes to play an average George Fazio course that was something like $80.

I never played the old 5th hole at Pebble Beach, and I really liked the Nicklaus 5th.

The Nicklaus courses that would like to play via pictures would include May River and Dismal River.

With Sebonack, someone I thought would pick on the course flaws after a walk through, found very few and raved about the course. No matter how well I do in business or lotteries that I win, there is no way I am asking my wife for that check! Yes, I am a modern man with a 50/50 partner.

Most who play with me know that I have no problem with paying what it cost to play great courses. Once thay drop off that list, I really don't like to pay "great course" rates for "nice" or "very good" courses.

In Huckaby fashion, I would play any Nicklaus course with a group of friends any day, I just don't seem to be that excited to make special trips and pay big numbers for his courses when there are better and cheaper options out there.

As a business guy, I understand the value of Nicklaus design. Last night a 3some was auctioned off at a charity auction that I attended, and Sebonack was the clear leader when I left over all the others which included Bayonne, The Bridge, Quaker and Westchester.

His name sells, and I just don't want to pay for that except for instances where the architecture and fun of the course match the price.

Hope you stay around, I do enjoy your post.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 07:10:37 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back