News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:Pasatiempo Restoration Before/After Photos
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 01:28:06 PM »
Rich:

Read reply #4.  Gee wilikers, golly gosh, I've already explained it.  I can go into gosh-darn more detail if you say pretty pretty please, but it better have sugar on top.

;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 01:30:43 PM »
Tom -

Yes, the one in LA, designed by Behr. What is your take on the current state of the course?

Bob

Bob - sadly I haven't seen it in too many years to be able to comment.  Take Tommy's words as gospel - as I recall he says there's not much Behr left.

This is another reason I really want to play it again - back when I used to play it all the time, I was a little snot who knew even less than today's big snot, if that can be believed.  I want to see it with today's eyes.

TH

ForkaB

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2005, 02:09:09 PM »
Rich:

Read reply #4.  Gee wilikers, golly gosh, I've already explained it.  I can go into gosh-darn more detail if you say pretty pretty please, but it better have sugar on top.

;D

Thanks, Tom

That's one small step for architectural analysis--one giant step for Huckabykind. :)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 02:11:33 PM »
Rich - good point.  One really ought to stick to one's nature.  Of course, one's nature also might not be completely what some other one might think.

;D

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2005, 02:13:23 PM »
I guess we can all kiss that "double hazards are an anathema that golden age architects would never have engaged in" theory goodbye forever!  ;)

Question for the group, and for Tom Doak:  if we're into "faithful restoration", why shouldn't there be a little tree planted in between those bunkers like Dr. M intended??

Shivas,

Although I do not have it with me, take a look through Geoff Shackelford's "Cypress Point", because I believe their are a number of instances where Mackenzie enployed a "double hazard". Perhaps he figured the trees would die off ???. Off the top of my head, No. 1, 6, 14, 17 and 18 come to mind.

Good question for Mr. Doak.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2005, 03:50:34 PM »
Tyler & Shivas,

Do we know if the tree was planted subsequent to opening day, or scheduled for removal by Dr Mac ?

Absent that info, you can't draw accurate conclusions with respect to implementing a "faithful restoration".

But, I like it without the tree.

Ask yourself what impact the maturing tree's root system would have on the adjacent bunkers, and play from them.

ChipOat

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2005, 10:02:15 PM »
When I first played Pasatiempo in 1999, my first call upon getting home was to Bill Kittleman (he loves bunkers) to say he really had to see the great bunkers there - I was impressed!

What would I tell him now?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2005, 10:35:36 PM »
Huck and Bob, if you guys settle on a date, let me know.  Some of my favorite days of golf have been spent at Pasatiempo and it just looks wonderful.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2005, 10:46:52 PM »
I'm kind of busy working on a routing plan on a tropical island this week, or I might have objected that this is just another thread about bunkers.  I certainly didn't start it, anyway.

But, for Pat Mucci:  the sand is too white for my tastes, too, but as you should know better than anyone, the architect never gets to spec the sand color.  Sometimes the clubs ask us what we think, but they're paying for the sand so they usually choose what batch they want to pay for.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 10:48:06 PM by Tom_Doak »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2005, 10:56:51 PM »
This bunker sand color was an issue at Cypress Point last year -- too white.  How long does it take white-white sand to get to be an acceptable lighter shade of pale?  Or however that lyric goes?

RDecker

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2005, 12:32:39 PM »
If the bunkers weren't lined with a synthetic or something then one good rainstorm should help change that color issue.  If they were lined they will probably stay pretty white as the sun will only bleach the sand out more over time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back