News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Summerell

As Little Dirt As Possible
« on: November 26, 2005, 05:58:25 AM »
In the car with my wife for a 90 minute drive. My wife is not a golfer, but she humours me by listening to me talk about golf course architecture from time to time.

So today in the car she stops me mid sentence and says,"I don't get the whole architecture thing. Isn't it just all about trying to pushing around as little dirt as possible."

The conversation ended there.

Brian Phillips

Re:As Little Dirt As Possible
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 07:38:38 AM »
Andrew,

A mentor of mine Peter Nordwall believes that architects have a responsibility to 'create the best possible golf course using the least amount of money'.

Your wife is a wise woman...

Cheers,

Brian.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 11:32:41 AM »
Brian:  I absolutely believe what your mentor said, but you'd better be careful in how you say it.

Clients may be grateful for that philosophy in the long run, but at the beginning of the job, they [or American clients, anyway] would never want to admit they were sacrificing ANY quality because they were trying to keep the costs down.

So you have to get a reputation for doing it without ever pointing it out.  If you can get a friend and respected critic to think up a fancy artsy name for it, like minimalism, that may help.  ;)

Brian Phillips

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 12:46:53 PM »
Good advice Tom.

Thanks,

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Jari Rasinkangas

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 02:40:53 PM »
Brian,

The reason why there are so few great golf courses in Nordic countries is that the phrase 'create the best possible golf course using the least amount of money' was changed to 'create green area with some occasional obstacles using the least amount of money'.

Jari

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 03:32:42 PM »
After this weekend, I think the proper way of saying it is, "Only as much as is needed."

Phenominal stuff Tom. I think the genius of the place is in the fairways.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 05:18:56 PM »

I don't try to save money, I try to not waste it...
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

paul cowley

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 07:34:03 PM »
Mike ...you can save it by not wasting it. :)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

paul cowley

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 07:40:22 PM »
....along the same lines....I'm beginning to think that a good designer works with what nature gives him, but that a better designer creates from what nature doesn't provide.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 06:20:33 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back