News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

GCA Ryder Cup 2006, Hoylake (update)
« on: November 14, 2005, 09:40:13 AM »
I posted originally on this topic on July 13. Following soundings, it seemed there was broad support for a Hoylake/Wallasey event, so I focused on those locations.

I am now in a position to  provide further details re timing and cost:

The intention, depending on numbers, and subject to much flexibility, would be to play Ryder Cup format - twelve on each side, two sets of fourballs and foursomes matches,  twelve singles etc.

TIMING: The event would be Monday October 2 - Wednesday October 4 2006.

We would play one round at Hoylake on the Monday afternoon, and two on the Tuesday. We would play two rounds at Wallasey on the Wednesday.

COST: The golf at Hoylake would cost £115 per head on Monday and £165 per head on Tuesday, with likely discount to £250 per head all in. These prices include lunch.

We could also have a dinner at Hoylake on the Tuesday night at £30 per head, excluding drinks. Hoylake has an excellent clubhouse, full of history, and they do good dinners, so this is an attractive option!

Golf at Wallasey would be £55 per head for the day, and another £4.40 per head for a light lunch.

Total cost, therefore, of around £340 per head for someone who plays all  the golf and attends all meals.

For those coming from afar (possibly for a week?) there are obviously lots of options for how to fill a few more days (Mark Rowlinson has posted re various options) but for now my focus is on getting indications of support for this event (confirmations in some cases!).

If there is a critical mass of support I will confirm bookings, but I will need to extract deposits some time early in the year to ensure I am not left out of pocket.

For those interested, the Hoylake website (www.royal-liverpool-golf.com) now has a fun 5 minute video clip of archival footage on previous Open winners. Well worth a look.

Roll up, roll up ;)

ForkaB

Re:GCA Ryder Cup 2006, Hoylake (update)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 09:47:39 AM »
Very well done, Phillip.  I'm in!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 09:56:01 AM »
Two
Let's make GCA grate again!

Philip Gawith

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 10:15:11 AM »
Sean - the format will accommodate a man of your pedigree ;)

Re hotels - I will try when I am next up there to check out a few of the ones Hoylake recommend for the Open. Maybe you can come along as my negotiating heavy! Certainly we are all agreed that one venue is optimal so would be nice to fix something in that regard.

I think probably best to assess interest first and then take that one forward early in New Year?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 10:19:26 AM »
This Tiger is in. Well done Phillip.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 10:34:35 AM »
What a place to meet a Tiger - on the windswept Wirral! I'm looking forward to it.

Sean - as a veteran of one such event, my understanding is that there has always been a mix of a core playing most/all of the rounds, and others dipping in and out. So yes, the idea would be to accommodate people's needs. It is certainly not a case of you have to sign up for the whole package or you're not wanted.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 10:49:02 AM »
Philip,

Marital negotiations not withstanding, I am in.  8)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 10:51:28 AM »
Count me in for two, I will drag along my brother Bob who is a veteran of the Painswick wars.

I am hoping to do an overnight to Leeds in order to play at Alwoodley and Ganton, perhaps on the weekend.  Anyone interested please advise.

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 11:03:53 AM »
count me as a possible
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

ForkaB

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 12:49:58 PM »
Philip

I second Sean's suggestion that there be a central hotel venue.  I'e looked at the Royal Liverpool website, and they have a number of seemingly tasty suggestions.  Are you (or anybody else) familiar with any of them?  If you are, maybe we should book early.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 12:58:39 PM »
I am in for the main events. In addition, I'm open to any pre and post "GCA Ryder Cup 2006" opportunities that might present themselves.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 02:32:17 PM »
I am pretty sure I am coming over a week early to play the other area courses as well Alwoodley, Ganton and Woodhall Spa. I also second a pretty good(really good is even better) centrally located hotel for a headquarters.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 03:13:13 PM »
Rich - I am not familiar with the hotels, but will make inquiries. I probably won't get there until January or so myself, but if I can make a provisional booking somewhere, pending first-hand inspection!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 03:17:24 PM »
Not sure why I said Ganton in Leeds, when what I have in mind is a day split between Alwoodley and Moortown.  The two courses aren't five minutes apart.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 03:17:48 PM by Bill_McBride »

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 09:28:57 PM »
Can't we make it President's Cup instead? That is more fun, I hear.
Joking aside; if the European's need me, I'd love to play if I can tie it in with my work.  I should know my schedule by the Sprintime, unfortunately, not before. I'm sure this is no help to you now, but I'd be grateful if you could keep me in mind. I've been wanting to get to these courses for a while and as yet have played neither.

ForkaB

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 04:15:57 AM »
Lloyd

It's actually now the Buda(pest) Cup, which is even more fun than anything the pros do (excluding any activities with their wives) and yes, the Euros DO need you.  With Bernhardt emerging from Katrina and McBride from whatever hurricane(s) hit Pensacola this year and Arble tenderly protecting his 9 HCP, the USA is looking pretty awesome, and it's still early days..........

Get a gig near or in Liverpool and these 3 days could be historic!

Philip Gawith

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 04:44:59 AM »
Lloyd - I second Rich; you are needed on the Euro team. I am confident that you can get the promoter/tour manager/whoever to understand that this is an important matter. ;)

Sean is right - having secured a valuable piece of silverware in Budapest the GCA Ryder Cup has become....well, we are not 100% sure yet! I go for the Buda Cup - definitely not The Buda.

I stuck to the old designation for purposes of this post so as not to confuse the uninitiated. By Oct 2006 we should all be in the swing of what to call it. :)

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 05:01:25 AM »
I might be able to bring my 5-0 all-time GCA Ryder Cup record ;) to Hoylake, but I won't until we get rather nearer the time. I'd like to make it, though.

Cheers,
Darren

Andy Levett

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2005, 05:49:33 AM »
Thats right, it is called The Buda, Buda Cup or Budapest Cup, but never Pest Cup.  

So, the beautiful flower that is Pest is crushed under the  jackboot of Buda once again.  :'(

But the people that have defied the Mongol hordes and the Sultan’s scimitars will sharpen their 1-irons and hybrid utilities and journey to the  land of lovable moptops  to drive you back into the sea.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 06:11:01 AM »
That's you signing up for the Euro team then Andy? :)

Andy Levett

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2005, 07:35:33 AM »
...as long as you play for the good guys this time  ;)

ForkaB

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2005, 07:44:28 AM »
Andy

If "Mr. 5-0" Kilfara makes it down we might just have to give you "The Animal" and even Sean "Cheese Eating Surrender Monkey" Arble and try to draft in Peter McEvoy again for your side, just to try to make the game reasonably close.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2005, 07:48:21 AM »
It must be admitted that we are talking here of some rather confused lineages - a lot of guys swinging both ways, so to speak.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2005, 10:41:06 AM »
Please bring Peter back for not only is he a great player for the Euros, the stories he tells are a delight. I think he had the good taste to lose as well as Painswick. Oh did I mention Alabama is no longer unbeaten. Go Tigers

John Goodman

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2005, 10:45:07 AM »
Tiger your mood on Sunday was so good it could not even be put off by the de-Rossfication and mounDYEing at Birmingham West.  Congrats.  The Bammers around here are screaming that Joe Kines ought to be fired . . .  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back