News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Eric Johnson

Golf Course Recommendation(s)
« on: November 11, 2005, 08:46:24 AM »
I will be attending the BIGGA conference in January at Harrogate, England.  I was looking for any nearby (within a couple hours by car) golf courses to tour during our visit.  I would prefer touring courses growing fescue.  Any recommendations? or contacts?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Eric    

Tony_Muldoon

Re:Golf Course Recommendation(s)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 09:25:49 AM »
Not my part of the world but MacKenzie's work in Leeds is well known on here.  Ganton would also probably fit the bill.

can visit
http://www.uk-golfguide.com/

choose a town and then you can find the nearest courses.

Have a good trip
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 09:39:17 AM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 09:25:52 AM »
Eric:  The two I would recommend in the north east of England are Alwoodley in Leeds [Dr. Mackenzie's first course], and Ganton near Scarborough, a fine course with some of the best fescue fairways I'd seen at the time.

You can also go over to the west coast around Southport and Liverpool to see Royal Birkdale, Royal Lytham & St. Annes, and Royal Liverpool where the Open will be next summer.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 03:06:11 AM »
Eric;

..........I hear they play a keen game of cribbage on the west coast, as well!!

Tom
the pres

Marc Haring

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 04:59:17 AM »
Eric

Sorry but I won't be at Harrogate this year. However I would recommend Birkdale if you have time. Don't know that they will let you play as I've heard they are closing down for some restoration but I'm sure you could have a walk round with the superintendent (Chris Whittle I think, used to be at Muirfield). I played it a year or so back and I must say they had some of the healthiest looking fescue on their greens that I've ever seen.

Have a great time in Harrogate but get into training early. Your liver has got to be in good shape for those few days believe me. There was a great story in The Times I think about the financial performance of the lap dancing chain 'Spearmint Rhino'. Apparently the greatest ever week in the history of the company was at the Harrogate branch during the greenkeepers show. :-\ ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back