News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

Re:Bandon Poll
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2005, 03:03:45 PM »
Mike,

I've been there the past 4 years end of January/early February. Haven't played Trails yet but eyeballed it while there earlier this year. My recent trip to Scotland reinforced to me that there's just no place in North America that replicates the Scottish golf experience like Pacific Dunes (Bandon Dunes too, but to a slightly lesser degree).

A few people I know have been there and of course loved it, but I get mixed reactions when I mention it to people who ought to know and be interested in Bandon--some have heard of it but hardly anyone says with enthusiasm that they want to go. A few mention the weather. That's OK with me. I'd prefer that it not become the Myrtle Beach of the west.

Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2005, 06:03:21 PM »
I'll agree it isn't close.  It is far easier to get to than to get leave - 1.  Who wants to go and 2.  PDX is on siesta for half of every day.  I could fly home at noon or midnight??

So is 1/3 of the treehouse a good guess.  Previously I would have guessed 2/3...

Having spent too much time with Ran and Ben D. one would assume everyone has been to every great course on the face of the earth.  But of course this is quite a skewed sample.

When speaking to the players on the shuttle bus around the property, most seemed surprised to see a group from Houston, Philly and Atlanta...

It might be filled substantially with Oregonians.

So 3-5% of avid golfers?

I am a bandonista - and I also hope to get the fourth course commision...
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2005, 06:22:16 PM »
I was there right after Pacific Dunes opened in August 2001 and just booked four nights/days in Sept 2006.  I guess the difficulty of getting there was a hindrance, but I am sure eager to get back and get a look at Bandon Trails.  I thought PD was a better course than BD, for several reasons, but my Eugene,OR brother prefers the original course.  I think I prefer the Scottish experience because of the sheer fun of hanging around there in the villages and pubs, but Bandon certainly has a similar golf experience.  In summer conditions like I played in 2001 the course had Scottish links firmness, what about in January and February when it's been raining off and on for weeks?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2005, 06:32:35 PM »
Laura and I have been there twice (2001 and Aug 2005).  I give the experience a 10 out of 10.

We drove up from Philly to Newark to catch a nonstop to PDX.  Stayed in Portland a couple of days - played at my old club, Riverside.  Then drove down and checked into our Lily Pond room.

Played 36/18/36, all with the same caddy (who was awesome).  On the 18 day (Tuesday) we drove down to Gold Beach and did the jetboat trip up the Rouge River (highly recommended).

On our way back, we took the backroads up past the Sheep Ranch up to Cape Arago SP.  There is a place there where you can see literaly thousands of marine mammals in their natural habitat - this stop is also highly recommended, as is the Newport Oregon Coast Aquarium.

If you really want to get a change of place. drive from Bandon to Crater Lake and then up to Bend for high desert golf (we did this in 2001).  Lots of fun in Bend too!

We absolutely LOVE Bandon and are trying to figure out how to pay for the next trip.  Unfortunately, our funds are not unlimited  ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 06:35:47 PM by Dan Herrmann »

John_Cullum

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2005, 07:16:55 PM »
Not yet, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once.

Huckules,

Make it happen in 2007 and I'm there.

Mike

I have yet to make the pilgrimage, but if the hillbilly tour is going, I'm in.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Dan King

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2005, 08:57:26 PM »
I've gone up there a number of times. I've been lucky enough to play all the courses before they opened. I thought my days out there with Slag playing the 12 hole Pacific Dunes would never be topped. Playing the Sheep Ranch did top it, but not by much.

My last stay there it had much more of a resort feel to it. While before you would meet up with many more locals, now with three courses it seems like more people are making the trip. The courses are still great, but all the added stuff ends up with a little less experience-wise. On the plus side, sort of, now there is much less reason to leave the resort and go into town.

And the people that work there are wonderful. If you go, they don't advertise it much, but make sure to spend some time downstairs in the bunker.

Dan King
"I admire most name architects, but they often superimpose their design style on your site. If you have a great site, why diminish it with a pre-formed sculpture? Finding holes as if they were blown in by the wind is a far more poetic use of a great site."
 --Mike Keiser on why he hired relative unknowns to build the first two Bandon courses

hick

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2005, 08:58:14 PM »
    Just checked flights from providence,RI this morning to portland for feb, and found one for 220.00 rt, with a short stop in chicago,therefore I may have to do this trip sooner than later. I see some have gone that time of the year so the weather must be ok?.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2005, 09:47:10 PM »
I have been there 3 times...not since Trails opened....drove each time from portland and stayed in the Lily Pond cottages...each time has been fantastic

bakerg

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2005, 10:06:50 PM »
I have been out five times.  I will probably not go back out until the fourth course opens.  

David Sneddon

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2005, 10:22:11 PM »
I was there in October - 4 days, 8 rounds.

Loved every minute of it.  Had the opportunity to meet and walk several holes with Tom Jefferson which was an added bonus to the trip.

I still have another dozen pics to put up, but if anyone cares to look:

http://www.pbase.com/dgs/bandon__2005

David
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Gerry B

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2005, 10:36:11 PM »
been there 3 times - exceeded expectations and the bar was set very high prior to my 1st trip after looking at the photos - the subsequent 2 trips there did not disappoint either - ie the novelty had not worn off

have played :
5 rds at pacific dunes

4 rds at bandon

an abbreviated round at the trails prior to the opeing last spring with the course superintendant -thank you emperor

1 round at the sheep ranch -which was worth the trip alone just to play that green complexand adjacent holes along the ocean

weather conditions differed from day to day which added to the charm

might be the best golf destination on the planet

the entire  experience was pure golf and the staff all world

IMHO -   in the same league as scotland / northern and southern ireland / better than the monterey peninsula  / on par with a weekend on long island and those 2 gems in the philly area

the only drawback is location for those of us who reside in the east

Joe Andriole

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2005, 10:12:51 AM »
Been there and will return soon.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2005, 10:40:30 AM »
Have not been there of yet, but its on my list of places to see. However, this applies to a lot of places considering how few I've actually seen compared to others on this board :)

Tim Bert

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2005, 11:15:46 PM »
Been there twice.  First time in 2003.  Played 45+ holes at Pacific the first day and at Bandon the second day.  Went back this summer and played 54, 36, 54 in three days (plus an afternoon at the Sheep Ranch.)  We booked nine months out to ensure that we could get the 6:30AM start times and also to make sure we got on Trails when we wanted.  We've been in June both times.  I'd be interested in trying out the winter wind, but I love the long days and it is almost a 100% certainty that you aren't going to get rain there in late June.  We're already thinking about 2007.

I was on the east coast for both of those trips, and the commute was long but well worth it.  

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2005, 08:50:32 AM »
Been there too many times to count.  Over 30 rounds each on Pacific Dunes and Bandon Dunes, 3 on Bandon Trails.  Of course, doesn't hurt that I live close enough that if I leave around dawn, I can get in 18 and still make it back home for dinner!   :)

In response to Bill McBride's question a little further up the thread, regardless of how much rain the courses have received, it'll still be fast and firm all the way through the winter.  That's the experience with Bandon and Pacific at least, with their deep base of sand.  I'm looking forward to seeing how Bandon Trails does during the winter months with the heavier soil underneath.

Michael Moore

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2005, 10:39:10 AM »
Nuzzo -

I have not been, but soon I am going to undertake a Bandon on a Budget sneak attack on this fine resort -

- off season
- stay at the campground
- eat gruel at the campground
- no booze
- no caddies

The estimated cost of this trip from Maine is astonishingly low. I can't wait . . .
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Billsteele

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2005, 11:31:56 AM »
    Have been there once in May of 2003. Spent two days and divided my rounds evenly between the original Bandon and Pacific. I loved both courses and believe the Dunes is overall a better course but not by as much as most on GCA do. The biggest letdown to me on the original course was the 18th hole...which was a hole that I felt that you could see on many golf courses in many parts of the world.
    My experience has been that Bandon is still a mystery to a good number of Midwesterners. In fact, wearing my Bandon Dunes hat in Central Ohio has only elicited two questions/comments in the two years since my trip. For some reason, the people I have run into, many of whom are avid golfers, are much more intrigued by Kohler, Pinehurst and Pebble Beach. Perhaps it is the exposure of hosting a major that holds the allure to them. Maybe it is the perceived remoteness of Bandon. However, to me, the drive from Portland down to Bandon was quite enjoyable...even though I did play Sandpines.
     When I tell them that Bandon is the best resort experience I have ever had, they tend to look at me somewhat dismissively (almost like you would a crazy relative). However, I recently converted a group of 12 guys who normally go to Mid-Pines and Pine Needles to explore Bandon for their 2007 trip. Needless to say, I'm not sweating making that recommendation.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2005, 12:08:11 PM »
Mike I have been 3 times. It met or exceeded my expectations each and every time. I am looking forward to a 4th visit next summer and the opportunity to finally play Bandon Trails. I would say the the my world in Louisiana country clubs types are finally getting the word. I have noted 20 from my club in the last year have gone whereas none before that except me.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2005, 12:20:19 PM »
I played Waterwood National somewhat out in the sticks of southeast TX (1 hour + north and east of Houston) about a week ago and found a Bandon Dunes pen on the cartpath.  No doubt the word is out, which may be good and bad in terms or higher prices and # of rounds played, depending if one is a consumer or owner.

Personally, I've probably have had a lot to do with a half-dozen or so people making it out there by now.  As far as I know, everyone was happy, though I am always careful to describe the type of golf and the weather.  Like Tiger, the place has always met or exceeded my expectations.

John Pflum

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2005, 03:52:52 PM »
What percentage of the treehouse has gone?

What/Who is the treehouse?  
--
jvdp

Tim Bert

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2005, 10:18:26 PM »
   When I tell them that Bandon is the best resort experience I have ever had, they tend to look at me somewhat dismissively (almost like you would a crazy relative).    

Good to know I'm not the only one getting the crazy looks.  Most people just dismiss my comments like I've probably never been to a nice golf course.  They just nod and smile and say, "that must be nice."

Their loss, not ours!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back