News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Dan Kelly

Re:Rumor has it.....
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2005, 11:26:38 AM »
Doak better have a good caddie for opening day - Jack's already got the best around signed up.

Maybe Ron Whitten is available!

Oh, no, that's right; as a Professional Journalist, he wouldn't want to get involved in the story.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Gene Greco

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2005, 06:49:01 PM »
But who was the FIRST individual ever seen sporting a Sebonak logo in any form of media????

answer: Christian Greco

In fact, the little 12 year old tike wore his "lucky" Sebonak hat in EVERY match he played as a seventh grader against those big, bad 17 and 18 year olds.

His final record of W-8, L-2, T-1 breaks down as follows:

8 wins wearing the Sebonak hat
2 losses wearing a Cypress Point hat
1 tie wearing an National Golf Links hat

Things bode well for the newest addition to East End golf!!!!
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2005, 07:12:59 PM »
Gene:

When the time comes when he gets into Harvard what're the chances he'll talk you out of sending him there?  ;)

Gene Greco

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2005, 09:54:08 PM »
TE:

Indeed, he will talk his way out of attending school in Boston in favor of the shores of Fernandia Beach!
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

ed_getka

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2005, 06:47:37 PM »
Tom,
   Congratulations on the work you did there. It will be interesting to see how the holes play once the course is in the proper condition. I really enjoyed my tour.
   I think #11 is brilliant and it was my favorite hole there, I had goose bumps as I walked down the fairway and the green came into view. It would have been easy for most architects to go overboard with eye candy on that hole, but you showed restraint and nailed it.
   Loved the boomerang green/surround on #16, immediately got me thinking about CD.
   I think the members are going to really enjoy the many areas of the course where you bring them into contact with each other.
   It will be interesting to see how #8 and a few of those super tiny greens work out.
   Hats off for a job well done.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2005, 07:55:05 PM »
Gene Greco,

It's not in the logo ......

It's in the accelerating putting stroke  ;D

Gene Greco

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2005, 08:28:04 PM »
Patrick:

Kinda like how that bungee jumper kept accelerating until he "lost his head" over that can of Foster's Lager. ;)

...and Christian now realizes it was the golfing lesson of his life. I'm sure the division winning Southampton High School golf team joins Christian in thanking you for that juicy little tip.

Gene

Gene Greco

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2005, 08:33:45 PM »
Ed:

AND he (Tom D.) had the good sense to build a drop dead gorgeous par three following the perfection which is #11. Thus, cleverly utilizing that the same line of play into the prevailing wind along that beautiful shoreline.

ed_getka

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2005, 10:36:47 PM »
I just love that corner of the property. It is so serene back there.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Gene Greco

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2005, 08:03:45 AM »
Won't be so serene when the wind howls through that corridor!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2005, 06:49:41 PM »
I know Tom has discouraged us from posting any photos; but, I just can't help scooping Golf Digest.

The following is a photo of the 7th tee at Sebonack.  It is startling in its modesty and adherance to tradition.

(c) 2005 C. Carlyle Rood, All Rights Reserved.

Hi Carlyle,

I just wanted to say I enjoyed your scoop very much.

Garland
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brad Klein

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2005, 08:09:11 PM »
G.B., same initials as . . . .

nah, too much coincidence.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2005, 12:37:13 AM »
G.B., same initials as . . . .

nah, too much coincidence.

I swear, I have never hit anyone with a tee shot.

GB
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brad Klein

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2005, 07:14:15 AM »
That's why I carry liability insurance.

Sean Leary

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2005, 12:29:17 PM »
Ron Whitten',s GD article is out.  I'm interested in hearing what people's impressions of the article are.  I read it as very complimentary for TD, and not so much for JN.  

The pictures look fabulous.......

Garland Bayley

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2005, 03:39:53 PM »
Ron Whitten',s GD article is out.  I'm interested in hearing what people's impressions of the article are.  I read it as very complimentary for TD, and not so much for JN.  

The pictures look fabulous.......

I read it quickly at a newstand as my issue has not arrived. I concur with your assessment (TD, JN, and pictures).

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2005, 03:48:37 PM »
And whatever you do, don't post any pictures of it until GOLF DIGEST is out next week, or you'll never be allowed there as MY guest.

Now thad GD is out, can anyone post some pictures of the course for a french who lives too far  :'( ?
except if TD don't agree of course.

Thanks
"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2005, 05:09:45 PM »
Read thru the article this morning, and Ron's point of view (I think) was that TD and JN had a synergestic relationship and learned from each other.   The article was complimentary to both, which is good.

If anything, the article hinted that the owner was the most challenging aspect of the project.

Keep in mind that this was my reading, and could certainly differ from yours   ;)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2005, 07:50:04 PM »
The only thing I didn't like about the article was that I thought Michael was made to sound more meddlesome than he really was.  He wasn't that much different from a lot of the other clients we've dealt with -- most of them like to be "involved."  Ron maybe isn't used to seeing that as much as those of us who do the work full-time.

To be honest, I think Michael's "interference" was a ploy.  We told him at the start that he was only there to break ties, and that otherwise he wasn't allowed to make decisions.  However, I think that when he sensed we might disagree about something, he chimed in with his opinion early so that Jack and I would never get to the point of strongly disagreeing about which way to go ... we'd settle things between ourselves to keep Michael out of it.

You don't make enough to build Sebonack unless you are pretty shrewd.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2005, 08:00:31 PM »
Tom Doak,

Ron may not have understood the underlying principles that come to bear when someone invests 40-60-80 million dollars in a project.

There's a reason why attorneys recommend three trustees for discretionary trust agreements.

Nice article in Golfweek about Barnbougle.
It's interesting that they focused on the short holes.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2005, 08:09:22 PM »
Tom Doak --

I'm curious about something.

Exactly how lucky do you feel?

Do you wake up some mornings and pinch yourself?

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom_Doak

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2005, 08:56:27 PM »
Dan:

I feel very lucky to have arrived in the right place at just the right time.  A few years ago I thought I was just missing out on the boom in construction, but as it turns out, there are more cool projects being built in this decade, than maybe at any time in the last 80-100 years.

The best part is that there are more of them out there, and I'm going to get my share of them -- or more than my share!

TEPaul

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2005, 09:16:18 PM »
TomD:

Interesting description of M. Pascucci's part in some of the architectural details of Sebonack. I only met the man really briefly that one time for a few minutes and even if he was pretty unguardedly forthcoming about the routing of that course the truth is most of what I talked with him about was footballer Jim Brown, not golf architecture or Sebonack. I don't have much of any idea how Mr Pascucci looks at golf architecture philosophically or conceptually but I'll tell you right now if I were Mike Pascucci at Sebonack and if I had the kind of effort and money invested in that place he has I really don't think I'd just sit there and be content to break ties on all architectural decisions made out there on site between the two collaborating architects, even if the architects are the most famous golfer of all time and you.  

My sense from my standpoint is that guys like you and Jack and certainly your associates and crews have a whole lot more technical experience and knowledge about actual construction details and problem solving that way than any of us just because you do that stuff all the time and guys like MikeP and people like us don't but on conceptual opinions or even decisions to do with a golf course in certain aspects I really don't think your instincts or Jack Nicklaus's are any better than Mike Pascucci's or some of us who have no real stake in some architectural reputation. I think you know what I'm referring to with perhaps one of Pascucci's decisions, and maybe more than one or two or more.

In my opinion, having seen it, his sense on #18, for instance, for who that course will be used by most all the time is so much more on target than seemingly yours and Jack's opinion. Why do you think that is Tom? Why do you think the both of you felt one that one way and Pascucci the other?

What I'm really saying is I think far too often you professional architects seem to act with many of us like once you hang out your professional shingle you are imbued with some special knowledge of all things golf architecture and the rest really shouldn't have that much to say about it specifically to any of you or even generally. I can certainly understand why many architects over the history of architecture say that, and it's probably just because they're never that sure who they're talking to and what they know.

Look at Crump, for instance. Do you think despite the fact he started PVGC as a rank amateur in architecture he spent the rest of his time at PVGC (app five years) breaking opinion ties between so-called professional architects? You know better than that of course and so does anyone who really understands what went on there over the years in the creation of the #1 course in the world for many years now. What happened there? Did Crump suddenly become imbued with real architectural talent one day? I think you realize it just doesn't work that way.

Look Tom, we've had our differences on here and off here over the years in many ways but you've been honest and blunt over the years in many of these things, and I do appreciate that a lot, and I hope you don't get offended by what I'm saying here and hold it against me. I admire your talent and what you've done, as you know, and I surely do appreciate the tour of Sebonack a month or so ago with that group. It was very educational, in a whole lot of ways.

My hope is that guys like you, the professionals, keep telling us, the amateur but interested bystanders who're dedicated analysts what the technical things are we could not know because we're not out there every day like you are, but at the same time I really do hope more of you can listen to some of us on things like concept because I think that's where we can really help and where we can make a difference to some of you professionals who I think are too damn sensitive about one thing or another for not the great reasons for the future of architectural production. I know it's a business to you and not us, and I do know what that means but I think you're on the right track for the future as I think you know we are too basically and honest give and take between you all and some of us on here, for instance, can only help to get down the best road for the future.

Maybe I'm totally off based on Sebonack only seeing it without playing it but my sense is from looking very carefully at it that well over half that course looks to me like the "ideal maintenance meld" could be some pretty good speed "through the green" (maybe up to fifty+ yards of rollout) but when it comes to some of those greens that course is going to have to have relatively receptive greens (not just a light dent to a well struck wedge) or the "over the top" factor could hit the playabilty for almost anyone on some of those greens like a ton of bricks.

I just can't wait to see about a year of feeback on the playability of Sebonack. My sense is that golf course has the potential to be many things to many levels of golfer with not all that much of a maintenance set-up adjustment. I think that's pretty unusual in golf architecture and just might end up being Sebonack's most unique asset---real variation in playability with minimal maintenance adjustment. I think that's a very good thing. I hope my sense about that will turn out to be accurate. It sure did look like some of it is that way architecturally, even if there is enough bail-out and chipping area around some of the more intense greens.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 09:30:24 PM by TEPaul »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2005, 10:43:30 PM »
Tom:

Regarding the 18th hole, I think it would have made a fine long par 4 if we'd left it that way.  However, Michael had a sense of what he wanted the character of the place to be, and having a par five 18th was really important to him.  He won me over as to why, and so we started working on making it a great par five instead, and I think we did pretty well with it.

Is it a better hole now than it would have been as a 4?  I think it is, but not just because it's a 5 now; it's because we worked extra hard on it to achieve everything that Michael wanted for it.  At the same time, I think he was fixated on having a par five finishing hole, and in other circumstances that might have been a disaster.  (For example, we just barely had room to make an interesting first hole, because we moved the green back for the 18th into space that we might have used for the first.)

There is always room for interested owners or even interested bystanders to make a suggestion which turns out to improve a hole, even radically so, and I've learned to keep my ears open to those thoughts.  I've also committed to spending a fair amount of time on site myself, so that there will be plenty of time to improve on the design from what we drew at the time of the original routing.  (I'll admit that sometimes it bothers me when someone suggests I should spend that time listening to them, instead of allowing myself some more creative time to improve the design.)  

The thing is that seldom do bystanders have it all worked out what their suggestion means to other holes in the system ... it is highly possible that improving the 18th hole could make a course worse, because of what it leads to elsewhere.  I had to work out whether we could make the first hole suitable, before I could side with Michael about the 18th.  It's easy to mistake that for resistance.

If you are saying that every golf course architect should pay two or three other guys to hang around and give him suggestions ... well that might produce a better course, but it also might drive everyone batty.  I prefer to pay guys to run the equipment and think about the design while they're doing something; that's why we staff the construction of our courses ourselves instead of relying on outside contractors.  So, if you want to contribute to our designs, all you need to do is make enough money to pay us to listen to you like Michael did, or else learn to run a trackhoe!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 10:47:21 PM by Tom_Doak »

TEPaul

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2005, 08:25:49 AM »
"If you are saying that every golf course architect should pay two or three other guys to hang around and give him suggestions ... well that might produce a better course,"

TomD:

Oh no, I'm not saying that at all. I just think architects can keep their ears open for general concepts, perhaps strategic concepts. In a real way I think that's what Mike Pascucci was pushing for on #18. It sure is a different strategic concept, at least psychologically playing a medium length par 5 in the end compared to a long tough par 4. I know if I played that course regularly I'd probably feel better about myself and the course if that hole was a par 5 rather than a long tough par 4. I think it sounds like that's all he was pushing for and it makes perfect sense to me.

Good point about #18 getting pushed out and #1. I wouldn't recommend architects let bystanders make suggestions like that unless they're really into all the nuts and bolts of the entire routing of a course. Obviously it must be easier in an over-all routing sense to shrink a hole rather than expand it after the fact.

I sure did feel a kind of ultra closeness around the green-end of #1 but I think I felt it was the second tee area with #1 and then the fact there's that bye hole crossing right over that area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back