News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

Research or Not?
« on: October 14, 2005, 04:16:33 PM »
Do prefer to see a golf course blind for the first time?  No research, no pics, no preconceived ideas?  Is it almost impossible now with GCA?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Jim_Kennedy

Re:Research or Not?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 04:46:38 PM »
Paul,
I really don't think it matters if you look at pics, read about a course on the web, hear about it from someone, etc.. Everything changes the minute you stand on the first tee.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 05:41:31 PM »
Non-professionally speaking...
I like the reasearch to know where to go... but would rather not know ahead of time.

When playing with a caddy, I ask them to not tell me where to go.

Professionally the data on this website is better than anywhere else - without going myself.

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 05:53:57 PM »
I'm too impatient not to research, if the photos etc are available.  

But I would sat that the many of the most memorable rounds are from courses I knew almost zero about beforehand.  

And I have been to very fine courses with masses of knowlege about the course and it has turned out to be pretty much what I expected.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 06:00:41 PM »
Paul

It is nearly impossible to stumble across a course with the GCA expertise about.  In fact, you are a main contributor to the expertise.  I definitely prefer stumbling across courses no matter how rare it is.  The only few in recent memory are Beau Desert, Kington and Venezia.  Ok, I admit that "discovering" Beau had more to do with my ignorance than anything else.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back