News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

What if....
« on: October 13, 2005, 01:29:26 AM »
....the USGA/R&A lost their relevancy or their control in I&B? What's the alternative to what they've done all these years? Who would replace them in I&B? Please, all you geniuses out there who seem to feel you have a better way, tell me what's the alternative?  If the  USGA/R&A weren't in I&B who would be, and how would balls and clubs be protected from unlimited technological influence and advancement?

RJ_Daley

Re:What if....
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 01:51:17 AM »
Why not settle for half.  Just fix the ball situation.  The Masters has toyed with a Masters regulation ball, haven't they?  The old NFL and AFL had different footballs, didn't they?  Professional Baseball has ball specs that are different from other organized baseball, don't they?  Didn't the old World basketball league have a slightly different ball, besides just the colors?  

Why can't the PGA tour designate a competition ball for their events?  They can suspend and fine players, can't they?  They have TPC courses don't they?  Why can't the Tours say, we play by the USGA and R&A rules (and/but) we have our own ball for our events?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 04:05:56 AM »
....you woke up tomorrow morning and the golf ball went 10% shorter for everyone with a driver swing speed of more than 100mph (and for everyone with a swing speed less than that it didn't change). Would you care?

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 06:06:32 AM »
Tom,

Let's bring in the politicians!

CBS/AP) Senate Commerce Committee Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.) says he will introduce legislation imposing I&B distance standards on professional golfers if golfers and USGA do not adopt a stringent crackdown on distance by January, The Washington Post reports in its Saturday editions. Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.)stated, "These PGA Pros are forcing the destruction of our cherished land in Arizona with the lengthening of their golf courses. Arizona's water supply cannot hold up to this demand for lengthening courses, and if the USGA won't do it, then The US Senate will put a stop to it!"

Separately, the lawyer for Tiger Woods said the leak this week of Woods' grand jury testimony in the investigation of an alleged Nike1-distribution ring was an attempt to smear the PGA Tour slugger.

;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 06:09:02 AM by Mike Sweeney »

rgkeller

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 07:51:47 AM »
Augusta National

Craig Sweet

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 08:11:12 AM »
Shane...so I step up to the first tee and the starter tells me to step up to the swing monitor to get my swing speed...then he flips me the correct ball...????

LOCK HIM UP!!!

JohnV

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 08:27:24 AM »
Tom, since most of the people who've answered have just said what they want done and not who will do it, I guess they are going to take the task on themselves.  ;)

Since many of those who complain the most only seem to care about how far the pros are hitting it I would guess they would leave it up to the PGA Tour to do the job.  Doing that would certainly give me a warm feeling that the right thing would be done.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 08:34:53 AM »
rgkeller,

It may be that ANGC will lead the way in addressing the distance issue vis a vis the "ball".

Somebody has to step forward and they would seem the logical choice since they've already had the issue on their agenda.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 09:50:03 AM »
It may be that ANGC will lead the way in addressing the distance issue vis a vis the "ball".

Somebody has to step forward and they would seem the logical choice since they've already had the issue on their agenda.

Just as they led the way in perpetuating the lush green syndrome? And, led the way in disfiguring fine works of art?

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 10:06:18 AM »
"Tom, since most of the people who've answered have just said what they want done and not who will do it, I guess they are going to take the task on themselves.  :)
Since many of those who complain the most only seem to care about how far the pros are hitting it I would guess they would leave it up to the PGA Tour to do the job.  Doing that would certainly give me a warm feeling that the right thing would be done."

JohnV:

Precisely. And thanks, you seem to be the only one who even attempted to answer the questions. The rest seem to be stuck on how to cap distance or how to come up with a "competition" ball.

Those are not the questions on this thread. The questions are what if, for whatever reasons, the USGA was no longer in I&B testing and rules and regulations? Who would do it? Who would take the place of what they've been doing in this area for so long?

Would it be the PGA TOUR? Would it be the manufacturers? Maybe ANGC would like to get into doing it themselves? Or maybe GOLFCLUBATLAS.com could take up contributions and we could go buy the USGA's multi-million dollar tech and test center and do it ourselves. ;)

I asked these questions on this thread because I suspected that most of those who rail and opine on this subject apparently seem to think the USGA, their Tech Center and their I&B testing and spec rules and regulations writing, monitoring and administering will always be there.

Can we be sure of that? And if so why?  If, for whatever reasons, the USGA lost their relevancy in this area or just got out of it, WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE? If one is going to continue to criticize most everything they've done and do, perhaps it's time to start thinking about that.

I wonder why it happened to be only you, JohnV, who not only attempted to answer the questions but you seem to be the only one who even recognized the significance of the questions. Perhaps it's because you are one of the few on here who actually work in amateur golf administration and understand what could happen here.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 11:08:10 AM by TEPaul »

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 10:25:22 AM »
JVB: I agree. And just think about the quality input and support the tour would get from Titleist, Callaway, Hogan, Maxfli, and Spaulding, and how much more money the tour members owners will make playing a ball noone else can! That's how the game should be regulated!

Maybe the CGSA could jump in and mandate higher mowing heights!

No more Ledbetter academies!

Do away with the fitness trailers!

All steel, all the time!

Stop quality control now! I want my 1962 McGregor ball!

Make players drive between tour events!

Only spouses should serve as sports psychologists!

Let every tournament organization play by its own rules- centi-furcation!

OK, enough. I hope everyone got your little bit of humor, John.

As Ben Hogan said, "Thank God there's a USGA. Otherwise someone would have to start one."

Now back to the debate:

Agree, disagree, whatever, but there can be no substitute for an independent governing body. Really look at the sports that have different rule for different players and you'll see chaos. You'll also see sports in which policy is heavily influenced by manufactureres and others with ulterior interests.

There is plenty of flexibility in the rules of golf to account for different skill levels.

BTW: the Tour can mandate a lower speed ball and be within the rules. It doesn't because it sees the danger in doing so- the disconnection from the fans, that connention being its strongest marketing point (not biting the hand that feeds you). It is puzzleing that so man people just can't seem tio grasp that.

Having Augusta go its own way would be a greater disaster, since then every self important club would feel justified in doing its own thing. Think of those implications, and ask yourself if you really think that's what you want for golf. Certainly Augusta and any other club can have their say. Augusta is in a unique position to stimulate public pressure and that is what they have done. IMHO they will never act independently and mandate a low speed ball for the Masters.

We must be careful what we wish for. We may get it.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back