News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Cape Cod.....
« on: June 08, 2003, 10:22:55 AM »
What is a must round if visiting Cape Cod in late September?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Chris_Blakely

Re: Cape Cod.....
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 10:47:08 AM »
If you do not mind taking a 30 to 45 minute boat ride to Martha's Vineyard, then Farm Neck GC (9 holes by Cornish & Robinson-18 total) is a great experience and a Mink Meadows a quirky 9 holer designed by Wayne Stiles in the later 30's.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 02:11:04 PM »
Bob, there are two nice discussions on this subject over the last month. I am going Monday morning and cannot wait. John

Dave_Miller

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2003, 04:32:44 PM »

What is a must round if visiting Cape Cod in late September?

Bob:
Oyster Harbors, New Seabury, Hyannisport, Eastward Ho on the Cape.

Farm Neck and Vinyard Golf Club on Martha's Vineyard.

Call me we can discuss.

Best,
Dave

Thomas_Brown

Re:Cape Cod.....
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 03:58:54 PM »
I'm planning a trip to the region.
Matt Ward made some cryptic allusions about Oyster Harbors.
What's the conventional wisdom on this track?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 04:05:39 PM »
Bob H:

If you can swing it -- keep in mind Nantucket and Sankaty Head -- both on Nantucket. You may need to prove your blood line though! ;D

Hard to beat playing these two fine courses in September although the golf option becomes a bit easier on the Cape when the kids are back at school.

On the public side (if memory serves I believe you can access it) I would try Cape Cod National in Brewster -- well done by Brian Silva.

DTaylor18

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 04:08:53 PM »
Cape Cod National is private unless you stay at the Wequassett Inn, which is very pricey.  Also of note, Sankaty Head I believe is open on a limited basis on the shoulder seasons, can't remember if it's after Labor Day or not until October.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 04:12:08 PM »
Bob/Thomas;
Don't overlook Kittansett, in Marion, just a 15 minute drive from the Cape Cod Canal. It's usually rated #2 in Mass. golf. Many of the better clubs cover their greens with plastic sheeting from Oct. to May these days to help them survive the frigid winters. Not mentioned by DM, but still worth seeing on the Cape are Wianno, Cummaquid and Woods Hole.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 04:13:17 PM by Pete_L. »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

klangone

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 04:13:10 PM »
If you can get on........Old Sandwich might be the ticket.  It is a new Crenshaw/Coore design.  Oyster Harbors, EwardHo and The Ridge are all worthy of consideration!

Dan Grossman

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 04:13:52 PM »
Bass River in Yarmouth is a neat old Donald Ross course on the public side.  Its short, but old and quirky!

roger simons

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 04:16:52 PM »
Matt Waqrd

Please give me your detailed impressions of Oyster Harbors. What similarities and differences to the other fine Ross courses in New England? Thanks.

roger simons

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2004, 08:06:54 AM »
bump

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2004, 08:41:07 AM »
The best course on the Cape for a pure golf experience is Highland Links in Truro. It is only a 9 hole layout and conditions are spotty at best, but this 100-year-old course has ocean views on every hole. Because it sits high on the bluffs, the unobstructed Atlantic winds are strong, cold and damp—in your misery, you will think you are in Scotland in mid-December. Quite an experience.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2004, 09:27:19 AM »
Roger S:

I don't have time to provide a thorough and detailed post in response to your question -- suffice to say -- Oyster Harbors is a definite must play for any Ross fan or one who enjoys the "classic" style of architecture. The course fits the property quite well.

The layout does have its share of dome greens that fall to one side or the other and since the course is not that long (if memory serves I believe it maxes out at 6,600 yards?) it doesn't require the "bombs away" type golf that many want feel is overkill.

I have played Kittansett, and, truth be told, I would just as soon play Oyster Harbors or Eastward Ho!

If I had to compare other Ross courses in New England I would say Salem in Peabody is likely more intense because of the combination of length and a few more demanding targets to hit.

Like I said at the outset -- if you trek to the Cape Cod area a stop at Oyster Harbors is certainly well spent.

roger simons

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2004, 09:32:01 AM »
Matt
What is the property like...rolling, flat, trees, water? Domed greens like Pinehurst? Do they have much undulation? What is their attitude toward raters?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 09:34:42 AM by roger simons »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2004, 09:38:28 AM »
Roger:

The land is far from flat -- somewhat rolling -- but please forgive me my lone visit was nearly 10 years ago -- the greens had enough of the fall-off edges to thrwart reckless iron play.

For those here on GCA who abhor courses that simply pound on length to deal with improved technology I would think they would find Oyster Harbors must compelling. I would likely use the word sporty to describe its unique appeal.

I know if time allowed I would certainly like to revisit it.

Maybe one of the other gentlemen who live nearer to the course can provide more commentary with even greater detail than I.

P.S. I will say one thing -- it certainly merits a top ten placement among the state's courses as listed by Digest.

roger simons

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2004, 09:45:01 AM »
Are sure you have seen the course or maybe your memory is shot?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2004, 10:25:03 AM »
Roger:

How bout we 86 all the Q&A and you get to the point ... I answered as honestly as I could. I played the course roughly 10 years ago -- really enjoyed it and would place it among the better classic courses in the Cape area along with Eastward Ho! and Kittansett.

If you think otherwise -- please let me know -- with your own specific details and observations.  ;)

One other thing if you don't believe the course is a top ten MA layout please let me know what you think are?

Adios partner ...

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2004, 11:31:17 PM »
Bob, I sent you an IM on this.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2004, 08:25:51 PM »
Gentlemen,

I started this thread last June and since then I was warmly entertained by a fellow GCA'er at the splendid Eastward Ho. Thank you again Randy.

Matt Ward,

I have played both Sankaty Head and Nantucket.I made some comments on this board about my feelings of the courses a  couple of years ago. Both of them wonderful tests but in totally different ways.

Kittanssett is on my must list in the future.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2004, 08:38:47 PM »
One of the things that astounds  me on this board that it's always about private courses.  Sure, I'm visiting NYC where can I play? - WF, SH, etc.  Oh, yeah throw in Bethpage as the token public.  I just don't get it.  Yes, these are the best courses, and would love to play them, but when one asks where should I play? why does one presume they can get on to the most restrictive courses in the country?  Guess my blood isn't blue enough.  For the cape Captains is enjoyable among others but the courses in Plymouth -Waverly Oaks and Pine Hills are better.

johnk

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2004, 08:46:02 PM »
Cliff, I often feel that way too.  However, what would be the fun of recommending Paul Haney GC near Falmouth :)

For Mr. Huntley, the one to go after, which I don't think anyone has mentioned is: Woods Hole.  I've never played it, but it looked fascinating and low-key when I visited.  Mr. Goodale also recalls it fondly.

johnk

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2004, 09:23:50 PM »
Hey, I actually played Paul Harney about 25 years ago.  Have to agree not worth playing.  The point remains though I am really not an uneducated, slob, bum, etc.  I too wear khakis and even own cutter and buck shirts.  Please let me know how I can get on these courses?  I know that sounds sarcastic, but in all seriousness if i am going to a different part of the country i guess i want to know what courses are worth playing that I can get on.  BTW TCC is about an hour drive from the cape and not a bad track!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2004, 04:19:02 PM »
clifff:

In answering your questoin -- the pedigee of the classic couses in and around the Cape area is likely to be beyond all but the really top daily fees -- some of which you mentioned. I do agee with you that discussion of golf should not just be about the ultraprivate layouts because few people may possess the wherewithal to access those facilities.

One other thing -- my blood color is pure red -- not blue. ;D

For those unfamiliar with Oyster Harbors in Osterville, MA I will post some hole-by-hole info (aoo distances are from the blue tees).

1st -- 410 yards
2nd -- 472 yards
3rd -- 145 yards
4th -- 512 yards
5th -- 199 yards
6th -- 399 yards
7th -- 375 yards
8th -- 392 yards
9th -- 354 yards
Total Out = 3,258 yards

10th -- 206 yards
11th -- 437 yards
12th -- 396 yards
13th -- 401 yards
14th -- 540 yards
15th -- 407 yards
16th -- 457 yards
17th -- 174 yards
18th -- 411 yards
Total In = 3,429
Overall Total = 6,687 yards (Par-72)

What would be interesting is to see the club reduce par to 70 and have the 2nd and 16th both play as long par-4's -- that would make things a bit more demanding.

Clearly, Oyster Harbors receives a bit less fanfare than many other clubs in the area but it deserves to be seen by those who enjoy layouts from the classic period.

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2004, 05:24:11 PM »
Any thoughts on Hyannisport CC?
Is it really an old Ross gem?

OT for the cape - What are the thoughts out there on Rhode Island CC?

thanks.
Tom

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back