News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan Fleisher

Nakoma G&CC in Madison, WI
« on: October 06, 2005, 12:24:49 PM »
Was just informed in our latest club newsletter that we now how free reciprocal priveleges with Nakoma in Madison.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of the place (Dick? Shiv?)...all I know is that it was originally designed by Tom Bendelow in the 20's and was "redesigned/renovated/whatever" by Killian and Nugent in the 80's.

Wondering if it is time for a Fall golf trip to Madison...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Joel_Stewart

Re:Nakoma G&CC in Madison, WI
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 12:28:00 PM »
I know they lost a great chance to build one of the great clubhouses in the world when the declined Frank Lloyd Wrights design.   It was recently built at a golf course in California.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 07:01:39 PM »
Evan,
   I like Nakoma alot.  Its tougher than it looks, and gets alot out of a small parcel of flat swampland  ;).  If you make it up, give me a holler, I live about 4 blocks away.

Cheers,
Brad

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 08:37:30 PM »
I think it is on 95-100 acres.  That is really tight.  I played it way before I got into GCA.  I've walked around there a few times.  Tillinghast gave them some advice back on his tour for the PGA days in the 30s.  I would say that it has the deepest historical tradition of good area players from the past.  It has produced a number of well known shotmakers within its membership ranks.  It always appears lush and green, and I would guess it is generally overwatered.  I can think of other courses I'd rather play in that area, actually.

It is close to Papa Phil's restaurant on Monroe Street for a little nourishment after your round... ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back