News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Denver Country Club
« on: October 04, 2005, 01:31:50 AM »
I attempted to search the archives and came up with nothing.  What do people think of this course?

ed_getka

Re:Denver Country Club
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 10:06:18 AM »
Jason,
   I really liked it, and was suprised I hadn't heard of it before I went there. It has some bland holes, but has really good ones, and considering how many archies have laid hands on that course over the years it is remarkably cohesive. It is worth seeing just for the handful of Maxwell greens, and Bill Coore has been on retainer there for awhile and has done some nice work.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 10:12:39 AM »
Sunday I played golf with two U. of Colorado golfers.  I said so guys, Cherry Hills or Denver CC, which is better?  They said Cherry Hills.  Denver they said was very good, but had a few funny par 4's where you had to hit 4 iron off the tee.  That probably means 3 wood for most of us.  Being young and liking hard as good, they liked Bear Creek best in the Denver/Colorado area.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 02:31:12 PM »
Baxk in the early 70's, during a local golf tournament, my brother set the course record at DCC. I don't know if his 63 has been bested since, but I can't believe anyone has beaten his front 9 of 27.

He made a double-eagle, 2 eagles & two birdies. Imagine, 9 under with 4 pars! And that was after the first 5 holes! He also only hit 2 fairways. He played much better on the back 9, hitting every fairway & green & could only manage one birdie. His bogey came on #10 when he took a penalty shot on the tee because he WHIFFED his drive from nerves after the front 9.

A wonderful round & great score made in as bizarre a fashion as any ever.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 02:31:43 PM by Philip Young »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 03:16:51 PM »
Lynn, I played Cherry Hills a few weeks back and loved it. I do see how someone from the northeast might see it as just another good course. However for those of us that do not see Flynn courses, it was a real treat. I would like to play Denver CC on my next trip up that way to see it but would be hard pressed not to desire another run at Cherry Hills. There is a lot of talk about the new Coore and Crenshaw course being built in the area.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 10:01:19 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back