News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Re:The best set of par 3's
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2005, 10:16:04 PM »
This topic was started because it is amazing how many great courses have one or two 3's which are a weak link or are simply average.  I grew up playing Riviera and 14 falls into the category of average(not a bad hole, but definately not great).  This is an area where Pete Dye often excells.  The Mountain course has a great set.  I love the 3's at Blackwolf Run River.

Lester George

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2005, 01:36:55 PM »
Cavalier G&YC
Old White
CCV James River
Cascades
Seminole
Hills of Lakeway
Golden Horshoe
RTJ
Kanawha Club

Travis Ripley

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2005, 03:37:15 PM »
Oak Tree GC

wsmorrison

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »
Lester,

I'd really be interested in your opinion of the Cascades par 3 15th hole in particular.  The tee was moved substantially to the right from the original Flynn tee when RTJ moved the 14th green.  The angle to the 15th green is so different.  My feeling is that on such a long hole the green is oriented nearly 45 degrees offline.  The narrow chute of trees that you currently have to play through is too constraining and the safety issue due to the orientation to the 1st tee is too much to ask for a resort course.

If the 15th could revert back to its former tee and 14 to its former green, the set of par 3s would be dramatically improved.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2005, 09:31:26 PM »
Old Oaks    This course may have the best set of 3's among all the Tilly courses in Metro-NY.  We played a tournament there today, and everyone was talking about the 3's.  Quite a few train wrecks.  Fenway would be strong contender.

William King

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2005, 10:50:57 PM »
I really like my home courses 5 par 3s (Cobblestone GC, Acworth GA). Par is a good score on all, they are aesthetically pleasing and they give a good variety in club selection and orientation to wind.
One thing that I find annoying and all too common in par 3s, is that many times there is not enough variety in effective distance. I can't count the times I've played a course where I used the same club on multiple par 3s.

I also think the 3s @ Dancing Rabbit Azaleas, Lawsonia Links were quite memorable

As I'm relatively new to this site and am here to learn, what are your (all of you!) criteria for a good par 3
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 10:53:04 PM by William King »

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2005, 12:39:35 PM »
Random List from those that I have played:

PVGC
Winged Foot East and West
Myopia
TOC
Yale
NGLA
Harbour Town
Round Hill in Greenwich, CT
Chechessee Creek

JWK

Steve Lapper

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2005, 01:27:40 PM »
Old Oaks    This course may have the best set of 3's among all the Tilly courses in Metro-NY.  We played a tournament there today, and everyone was talking about the 3's.  Quite a few train wrecks.  Fenway would be strong contender.

RMD,

Have you played Somerset Hills?? Ben Crenshaw called it Tilly's finest set...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 01:28:23 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2005, 03:15:02 PM »
Somerset Hills is incredible.  But now that Old Oaks has removed a few trees, about 2000 more would really help, the par 3's are beginning to show their greatness.  Somerset has my favorite Redan in metro-NY.  In the past, every hole had incredible tree encroachment problems.  It is still an issue, but at least the par 3's are no longer doglegs, though a tree still must be carried on the 7th.  Because of the tree issue, Old Oaks probably has not recieved the attention of other nearby Tilly courses, even though it is the the hardest test after WF West in Westchester.  It has only beeen eaten up in US Open Q a couple of years ago when it was hit hard from a terrible winter.  The moto always was score at Century and hold on for dear life at Old Oaks.

Russell Lo

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2005, 08:09:37 PM »
I've never played, but often heard and read that LACC has some terrific Par 3s. I'd like to think Mauna Kea (especially when the wind blows has some very good par 3s with Hole #3 across the inlet as famous a Par 3 as any.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back