News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

Niagara Frontier
« on: September 17, 2005, 10:48:58 AM »
Anyone ever played this course in Yougstown, NY, near Canandian border. It is north of Buffalo. I can find very little info on it anywhere. Any architectural notes? Anyone? Help is greatly appreciated.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Wayne_Kozun

Re:Niagara Frontier
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 04:52:33 PM »
I don't know about that course but there is a Tillinghast course in the neighbourhood in Lewiston, NY.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 07:03:22 AM »
Try Niagara Falls CC:

Home of the Porter Cup, the second ranked amateur tournament in the United States, this par 70 - 6,621 yard championship course features 90 treacherous sand traps.

Originally designed by A.W. Tillinghast in 1919 updated by Robert Trent Jones, Geoffrey S. Cornish and Brian M. Silva.  The course also features two large practice putting greens, driving range and chipping green.  

http://www.niagarafallscc.com/

Scott Witter

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 09:22:01 AM »
JNC Lyon

I don't know much about the history of this course, but all of that is generally irrelevant now as Ian Andrew of Doug Carricks office made substantial structural/routing changes.  The original was never anything of substance and as such, Ian's work is a big improvement.  Off the top of my head, they built three new holes about 6 years ago and then rebuilt about three more about 3 years ago.  Of course Ian can speak about the details better.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 03:07:23 PM »
Dan,

The club appears to want to identify itself as a Robert Trent Jones course. From page 20 of their club history, "In 1938, the club retained Robert Trent Jones, then a young man from Rochester... In 1938, at the ripe age of 32, Jones made NFCC the fourteenth course he either designed or redesigned... It is quite clear that the leadership of the Niagara Falls Country Club was able to identify greatness long before the rest of the golfing world. Robert Trent Jones, recognized as the greatest golf course designer of the 20th Century, died in the year 2000."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back