News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Re:Golf's history and traditions.......
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2005, 08:01:14 AM »
Terrie,

I think your efforts are terrific.  Are you aware of the Dallin collection at the Hagley Museum in Wilmington, DE?  Barb Hall and Rob Johnson manage their huge collection of photographs.  Mostly of industry but the Dallin collection also includes hundreds of 1920s and 1930s aerial photographs of golf courses, many from oblique angles.  You might want to contact them to see how they market their materials.

The USGA is moving in a direction that is very exciting.  We hope that there will be an infrastructure developed that will hyperlink inquiries to collections such as yours for future research and reference among other activities to document and preserve the architectural history of world golf.  It may be a few years off but the momentum is slowly building.

What sort of collection of photographs of The Country Club in Brookline and of Kittansett in Marion, MA do you have?  These would be fascinating to me as I am working with Tom Paul on a book of William Flynn.  Flynn designed and redesigned much of TCC and also designed Kittansett.  Early photographs of these two courses are rare to us and would be extremely valuable to our efforts.  Could you email a list of photographs, if any on these two courses?  I'd also like to know the policy for reproducing images in a book.

Terrie Bloom

Re:Golf's history and traditions.......
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2005, 05:02:59 PM »
Wayne: Thanks for your insights and suggestions. Do you have any contact information for Barb Hall and Rob Johnson?

Regarding the Country Club and Kittansett: I have seen some good material pertaining to TCC. Leslie Jones donated thousands of negative to the Library. He was a prolific photographer of New England life, and loved golf. If you go to my website: www.i-concepts.org, you will see the type of photography he did. Most of the material is on glass negatives and has not been scanned, but I looked at it with the light table and you would be pleasantly surprised I think. I am trying to remember whether he photographed Kittansett (one of my favorite courses), I believe so, but I was focusing on more local courses.

If you call the Research Department of the Library, they can fill you in on the details that you were asking about. I only do the commercial part for the Library...selling reproductions on the web, at sporting events, through specialty retailers etc.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back