News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

Tanglewood Park - Championship
« on: September 12, 2005, 11:24:00 PM »
I played this course this spring on a golfing trip down south and after playing several similar courses I keep going back to this as one of my favorites of that particular type.

Example, I would consider, of the better courses I've played of this style: Oakland Hills-North, Oakland Hills-South, Olympia Fields-North, Olympia Fields-South, Hazeltine National, Franklin Hills, Lochmoor Club to be a similar type (large trees, contoured bunkers, long, us open/country club traditional style).

I'm sure others have played Tanglewood Park-Championship and probably have a different opinion but I would put Olympia Fields-North ahead of it and probably have it tied with Oakland Hills with Hazeltine being just behind it.  Although I have not played Franklin Hills in the last 5 years and I know they've done a lot of work out there.

Other opinions on this course?  

I know its a RTJ so I'm sure everyone will have a strong feeling on it.

Tim Gavrich

Re:Tanglewood Park - Championship
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 07:09:55 AM »
Excellent golf course.  Outstanding, decked, big greens.  Fast too.  I played it in a tournament in March, so the rough was dormant, and some balls could roll a good ways off-line, so it was very interesting.  The yellow-brown of the rough, as well as the appropriately green fairways were in striking contrast to the deep reddish-brown sand in the bunkers.  The color of the sand makes the golfer take notice in a similar way as can be seen at The Masters.  Not quite as good as Duke, in my opinion, but very gtood indeed!
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Brian Marion

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 05:37:04 PM »
Although I have never played the courses you mention, Tanglewood is still a very good course on it's own. It's really special once you take into account that it is basically a muni and is owned and run by the county.

Tanglewood should, at least, host a Nationwide Tour event. The facilities are there, the park is large enough to hold parking and Tour trucks, etc.

Jay Cox

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 06:15:29 PM »
I would put Olympia Fields-North ahead of [Tanglewood] and probably have it tied with Oakland Hills with Hazeltine being just behind it.  

I haven't played Tanglewood, but that seems like a strong statement to make.  Do you think Tanglewood is "top 25 in the country" good, or do you just not think that much of Oakland Hills?

Brian Cenci

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 08:40:45 PM »
Tanglewood happens to be #13 on my list with other good courses such as World Woods, Quarry at Giants Ridge, Wild Horse, Kingsley Club, Victoria National, Lakota Canyon, Redlands Mesa, Old Works ranked behind it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back