News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Review of new biography on Willie Park Jr.
« on: September 12, 2005, 12:53:51 PM »
The Herald has a review of the new biography on Willie Park Jr.
Here is the link:

www.theherald.co.uk/features/46645.html

Mark_Fine

Re:Review of new biography on Willie Park Jr.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 08:18:18 PM »
David,
We cover Park as one of thirty or so architects discussed in our book on hazards.  His thoughts on hazards are quite interesting.  He was not short on opinions.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 10:35:24 PM »
Mark -

Please pardon my ignorance, but to which book on hazards are you referring?

DT

Mark_Fine

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 07:17:33 AM »
Forrest Richardson and I are just finishing up a nearly three year effort to develop a comprehensive book on the hazards of golf.  It will be published this fall by John Wiley & Sons.  There is a section with quotes, philosophies, etc from some of the greatest architects of all time.  Park is one of the guys we researched.  

One of my favorite Willie Park quotes is - "If a bunker is visible to the player, and there is sufficient room to avoid it, it is the player's responsibility to steer clear of it."  Park was interesting in that he felt all hazards should be visible to the golfer when he stands ready to play his stroke.  He said this but at the same time went ahead and laid out a course called Shiskine in 1892 on the Island of Arran where nearly every shot is blind.  As most of us know, architects are notorious for not always following their own philosophies  ;)  

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 11:40:07 AM »
Mark -

I trust you will not be shy about letting us all on GCA know when your book has been published. Does it have a title yet?

DT

ForkaB

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 11:47:24 AM »
Surely, the WP Jr. Book will feature Burntisland, which disproves the MacWood Tendency's dogma that wee willie only learned about proper GCA when he went to Sunningdale and consorted with the A&C "Movement." :)

T_MacWood

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 12:48:14 PM »
Rich
I do hope the book delves into Willie's Victorian period.

Burntisland is featured in the Braid biography as well.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 01:31:37 PM »
David,
The book is titled - Bunkers, Pits & Other Hazards - A Guide to the Design, Maintenance & Preservation of Golf's Essential Elements.  

The chapter on architects is meant to give some insight and introduction to some of the thoughts these guys had about hazards.  No detailed life histories here guys, sorry.  Hopefully this chapter will entice those reading it (for example if you are someone who belongs to or works with a course designed by Willie Park or Harry Colt) to seek to learn even more.  We only had 350 or so pages (including photos, diagrams, charts,...etc.) to work with for the entire book.  The architects chapter is just one of nine.  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 01:32:27 PM by Mark_Fine »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back