News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Smokey_Pot_Bunker

Ballyneal Photos
« on: September 06, 2005, 07:59:03 PM »
Gentleman,

Just noticed new pics of Ballyneal in Colorado 14 new photos in all, would provide a link to it but don't know how.

www.ballyneal.com/

Smokey_Pot_Bunker

Re:Ballyneal Photos
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 08:00:22 PM »
 I just figured out how.

dooh.  

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 08:15:12 PM »
Based on these pictures, anyone who lives within a reasonable distance to Ballyneal who loves golf and can afford to join, should pony up his money right now before the price goes up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 08:34:32 PM »
Yeah, Cary, it's like oil futures!

I am really pleased with how the course is turning out.  Will be back there in early October to play-test as many holes as possible.  Unfortunately, the boys have had way more chances to play there than I have.

The good news is that I think the best holes on the course are 3, 4, 7, 8, 12, 16, 17 and 18 ... so you're not even seeing half of them here.

Sean Leary

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 08:45:09 PM »
Just awesome....

Mr. Kirk and Mr. Keltto must be thrilled with the results thus far......  
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 10:04:17 PM by Sean Leary »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 08:53:51 PM »
That's what golf's supposed to look like.
jeffmingay.com

Gene Greco

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 09:03:09 PM »
 :) :) :) :)     :) :) :)   :) :) :) :)         :)       :) :) :) :) :)  
 :)               :)     :)   :)                  :) :)            :)  
 :)               :) :) :)    :) :) :) :)      :)    :)          :)              :)     :) :)    :)  : )     :)                :) :)  :)         :)
 :)           :)  :)     :)    :)               :)       :)         :)
 :) :) :) :) :)  :)       :)   :) :) :) :)   :)          :)        :)

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 09:03:16 PM »

The good news is that I think the best holes on the course are 3, 4, 7, 8, 12, 16, 17 and 18 ... so you're not even seeing half of them here.

Tom,

Who recently said?

"This could be the best course in the world, or it could be completely unplayable.  I can't tell from the photos, and I don't know who could."  ;)

I briefly spoke to Rupert as I got off the plane in Denver. Unfortunately, I caught the later flight and could not make the logistics work. Looks awesome.

Gene Greco

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 09:08:58 PM »
That was supposed to spell GREAT in smiley faces.

So much for post of the year.

I am so happy for all of you who are involved in this project.  :)

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tim Bert

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 09:24:39 PM »
 :)        :)        :)      :) :) :) :) :)     :)        :)        :)
   :)      :)       :)         :)              :)        :)         :)       :)
     :)    :)     :)           :)             :)           :)       :)      :)
       :)  :)    :)             :)             :)           :)      :)    :)
         :) :) :)               :) :) :) :) :)            :) :) :)

Thought I'd take a shot at expressing my feelings in Smiley's as well.  We'll see how it comes out (probably not as well as the course.)

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 09:34:54 PM »
There's also a good article about Ballyneal linked at www.golfobserver.com

Interesting to me, they mention that the course will be walking only. QUestion for Tom Doak: is the terrain there, at Ballyneal, more subtle than Sand Hills? I ask because, during my last 4-5 day stay at Sand Hills, every golfer was in a cart.

Over the long run, will Ballyneal be different? (I hope so.)

Also, it mentions that the fairways at Ballyneal are a mix of Colonial bent and fescues. If I'm not mistaken, Sand Hills has gone to straight bluegrass in the fairways because the fescue originally planted couldn't handle the harsh weather conditions and the traffic.

Again, is Ballyneal different in this regard?

Just curious, for the sake of discussion.
jeffmingay.com

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 10:15:17 PM »
Sean, I am indeed very happy with Ballyneal. It's been a wonderful experience to follow the construction process, and I've met many wonderful, passionate people there. For an architecture nut, Ballyneal is a fun place to hang out.

I'm looking forward to others seeing Ballyneal -- it hasn't been easy to keep my enthusiasm to myself for the past 13 months!

Philip Gawith

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 03:47:22 AM »
The course looks wonderful - but its private! Maybe some of us will have to club together to buy a syndicate membership to avoid having ugly discussions on here about seeking access. ;)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 11:40:41 AM »
Thanks to all involved in keeping us up to date on the progress of the grow-in with excellent photos.  It is the most thirlling part of being a regular on GCA.com (to see these masterpieces take shape) and hearing discussion on what went into the making of this project from Rupert and Wilbur's early reports, to Larry and Dick Durrance's contributions.  And, of course Tom Doak giving us up-dates.  (even if Wilbur won't tell us what seed mix they used  ::) ;D )

How far are they on the clubhouse and other buildings?

Who trains the caddies?  That has got to be the biggest excitement to hit the area of Holyoke for the youngsters in quite a while.... ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 12:52:13 PM »
Lots of details in this article I saw linked at Geoff's site:

Ballyneal article
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

John Kirk

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 02:25:43 PM »
Mike S.,

In person, Ballyneal looks eminently playable.  By the way, I was there the day you were scheduled to stop by.

Jeff M.,

One reason the course is designated as walking only is to maintain the fescue fairways as dry as possible.  Cart traffic forces the maintenance crew to water more than is actually necessary.  Very important point, and relevant to the Kingsley Club and their fescue fairways as well.

My favorite holes so far are 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 15, 17, and 18.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 02:26:42 PM by John Kirk »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 05:23:46 PM »
While we can't judge a course's ultimate playing qualities by photos, there are certain things that can be recognized.  One should go back and find the recent "Dismal River" photos of the grow-in progress, and compare them to Ballyneal.  At Ballyneal, there is not one unsightly remanent construction path, track hoe or dozer path.  Nor do we see any mowed fairway transition to native plants line that doesn't blend and melt into the native areas as contrasted with stark, unnatural lines at DR.  Blow out bunkering is proportional, and we see no vast wastelands that will become subject to widespread sand-wind storms and erosion.  The large blowouts at Ballyneal are more stable with vegitation surrounds and within.  You can't totally curtail the wind-erosion process of those sand features, but I'll bet on Ballyneal to deal with them more than what I have seen (admittedly only in photos) at Dismal River.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 07:21:03 PM »
RJ:  Thanks for your vote of confidence.

It could simply be that we have much better photographers involved, who are sure not to show any paths!  However we are trying to do all the things that you've talked about, and we're a little farther along in the process so we have cleaned up all our messes.  Convincing the client not to allow golf carts certainly helps, but there still have to be some roads for the maintenance crew.

The best photo on the Ballyneal site is of the eighth hole; you can see in that one the effort that's been made to make the line between turf and native grasses as ragged and natural-looking as possible.  Our interns out there went to town on that stuff!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 07:23:52 PM »
Dick Durrance does a wonderful job with his photos, he is very sincere and hard working, and he does an excellent job of showing a course in its proper light
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back