News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Best Retirement Areas With Quality GCA
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2005, 12:49:59 PM »
Lou

If you like to walk, Tucson offers a good selection of munis,some recently renovated by Ken Kavanaugh-El Rio, Dell Urich and Silverbell. I believe El Rio is/was a Bell design. Also, the county owned Arthur Pack Desert Course is being renovated by Kavanaugh.

www.tucsoncitygolf.com

There are other good public and resort courses in the area.

Housing is reasonable in the area and the Uof A Medical Center is in town and the U of A provides cultural and athletic viewing opportunities. 3 MLB baseball teams have spring training in Tucson. The summer weather, from what I understand, is not as bad as PHX.

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2005, 01:03:08 PM »
Mike,

I would be very happy with a place near the Ocean course and a membership at the Island Club.  Alas, my finances would be stressed along with my daughter's expectations.  I guess that I should have been a better student, worked much harder, made better investment choices, and not have played as much golf as I have.  Can I blame or sue somebody?
Nah, I am sure that there is a little place off the radar where people like me can find peace and happiness for whatever time we have prior to being put to our final rest.

Don't sue anyone.  Just go to the following web site http://www.golfpactravel.com/golfstyles/action/ListAbouts/region/All_South_Carolina/state/SC/city/Charleston/golf-packages.htm and see all of the Charleston area courses that are available to those who can't afford membership in the Kiawah Island Club...

Lou_Duran

« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2005, 04:01:58 PM »
Steve,

Tucson will also be considered, though I haven't yet developed much appreciation for the desert.  Not that I have anything against public golf, but I will probably join a private golf club that is not owned by a REIT or run by a large property management company.  A place like The Golf Club near Columbus, OH or Desert Forest in Carefree, AZ would be right up my alley.

Mike Vegis,

Do you mean that belonging to a place like the Island Club is not an inalienable right?  Why should some be able to and not me?  I've done most things right, worked hard, paid my taxes.  Doesn't seem right that I would have to settle for Yeamans or, God forbid, Wild Dunes.  Are you sure I shouldn't be looking for a talented lawyer with a new product liability angle?

Don Mahaffey,

I recently heard on the news that the Oregon coast is the most traffic congested scenic area.  Is that true?  I did like Bend very much, but the prevailing "progressive" mindset in OR concerns me.  I guess that high taxes and heavy regulation (like not being able to pour my own gas) is something that will have to be evaluated in light of all the other positive factors.

How hot has this summer been?  Somebody mentioned six or so inches of rain per year.  Can this be right?  

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2005, 01:58:50 PM »

Lake Oconee is on my list, though the real estate within the resort is too pricey and more than I want or need, the resort courses are not what I prefer, and the summers a bit too hot.

Lou, you should look at the Grove at Cuscowilla if you haven't already.  We found it the classiest community on the lake (understated with loads of charm) and it comes with a Cuscowilla membership.  If Harmony Club gets built it would be an awesome 1, 2 punch.    

Plus, the big kicker is that there are direct flights from Atlanta to Wichita and then it's only 45 minutes to Hutchinson ;D

I imagine you could play an early 18 in the morning at Cuscowilla and a late afternoon round at PD the same day.  Now that's my idea of retirement!  

JohnV

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2005, 02:19:22 PM »
I recently heard on the news that the Oregon coast is the most traffic congested scenic area.  Is that true?  I did like Bend very much, but the prevailing "progressive" mindset in OR concerns me.  I guess that high taxes and heavy regulation (like not being able to pour my own gas) is something that will have to be evaluated in light of all the other positive factors.

How hot has this summer been?  Somebody mentioned six or so inches of rain per year.  Can this be right?  

Traffic on the Oregon coast suffers because there is only one road between towns, which is US 101 which is two-lane most of the way.  Within towns it can get congested.  Between towns it usually isn't too bad unless you get stuck behind a few motor homes or semis.

Bend does get very little rain, being in the rain shadow of the Cascades.  Some snow in the winter and some courses are closed from November to May.  Frost delays early and late in the year and some lightning in the summer afternoons.  The temps can be pretty warm in the summer, but terrible since the air is so dry.

If you like skiing as well as golf, there aren't many better places to be than Bend.

peter_p

« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2005, 03:52:08 PM »
Lou,
Eastern Oregon, including Bend is high desert, less than ten inches of precip a year. Deschutes County voted for Bush, the congressman is Republican and increased 17% in population the last four years. Weiskopf, Nicklaus, Fazio, Doak, Crenshaw, Jacobsen, Fought, Cupp, Jones, Overdorf, Harbottle within 30 miles. While Sunriver and Bend get snowboound in winter, Redmond is lower elevation with golf usually year round. Flilghts from Redmond airport to Portland.

On the down side, land prices are skyrocketing. A new golf development north of Pronghorn sold all lots the first day.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2005, 11:02:09 AM »
Jason,

The Lake Oconee area is high on the list, though I am doubtful that I'd buy property at the main resort.

I like Cuscowilla a lot, but I am not so sure about the management or ownership behind it.  A "cottage" like those rented out but with more of an open plan would be perfect.  And with a tie-in to Prairie Dunes, it would be great (too bad that it can get stiffling hot in Hutchinson during the summer).  When you get your airplane and Kent gets Harmony off the ground, let me know.

BTW, my visit to the NE is at best 50/50.  I'll know more in the next two weeks.

Peter,

Thanks for the input.  The density of Republicans in an area has little to no bearing.   On the political side, I am much more concerned with taxation and regulation of individual rights (including property).  If I can find a nice club with good practice facilities, decent weather, and a low-cost/high quality lifestyle, I could care less if my neighbor was a Communist.  I would just want him to be rational, tolerant, and not think that I am greedy, stupid, or otherwise mentally impaired because I may not agree with him.

BTW, the wine I bought from you was delicious; another compelling reason to include OR in the equation.  Bend will be on my list, though I doubt that it would be in a resort.  Perhaps when a few of our preferred architects get some work started there.

JVB,

Thank you as well.  I don't like snow as we had it in Ohio and you in PA, but I do enjoy skiing and seasonal outdoor activities.  It would probably be good for my golf game if I had the discipline to put the sticks in storage for a few months.  I did like Pumpkin Ridge- Witch Hollow very much even while playing in standing water 50% of the time.  WH and Portland GC were the wettest courses I've ever played, though I a sure that the amount of rainfall over the previous week was highly unusual.

Mr. Madison,

We did meet at Cuscowilla, where I was rooting for your son to teach Jeff a few lessons following all the trash talk from the otherwise distinguished gentleman.  I heard that it was a close battle to the end, and only the intimidation gained from many years of practice against the IRS and fate intervened and deprived your son of his just victory.

Thanks for the information on Chapel Hill.  It seems like a wonderful area.  Too bad I can't make the DCII, but NC will get considerable attention in the coming year.  

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2005, 12:30:22 PM »
Lou

What with the global warming caused by you and W and Tiger Bernhardt all the rest of you evil Murcan capitalists, Fife will have a Mediterranean climate by the time you are old enough to retire.  Sure the winters will still be dark, but where better to practice your night putting?
Rich - you forget to mention the downside - melting of the polar ice caps will cause the links at St Andrews to be under several feet of water - not to mention Dornoch as I read in your book!

Like the Chinese did with the Yellow River (or tried to anyway), they will build massive dykes to hold the waters at bay.  
Let's hope St. Andrews (and Dornoch, etc) is more successful in holding the sea at bay than New Orleans has been.  Otherwise what just happened in SE Louisiana may happen to many of our treasured links courses, not to mention the human devastation it would cause.

ForkaB

« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2005, 12:47:35 PM »
Wayne

Dornoch will eventually succumb to the sea (and probably rise again), but by the time that either event occurs I will be so strulbruggian (regardless of advances in medical technology) that I really will not care........ :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 12:48:17 PM by Rich Goodale »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2005, 01:24:34 PM »
May you be pickled in a large vat of Clynelish for all eternity! ;)

ForkaB

« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2005, 02:04:20 PM »
Now, THAT is something to look forward to!

Joe_Tucholski

Re: Best Retirement Areas With Quality GCA
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2012, 05:34:01 PM »
Bringing back an old topic after it came up on the first page of two specific searches I ran. 

The real estate market has changed rather dramatically since 2005 and wondering if thoughts on the topic are different.

I was surprised there wasn't more discussion on Pinehurst NC.  It seems to meet the requirements set.  Weather seems nice, can't find too many places with the quantity of quality golf courses, close to Raleigh/Durham for both air and culture, real estate falls right into the range mentioned, cost of living seems low (not sure about the tax burden).

Some of the downsides to Pinehurst, specifically the resort, would seem to be a lack of walking (there appears to be a walking club at the resort but limited primarily to twilight) and the lack of privacy with rather crowded courses.

Here is the list of courses mentioned back in 05:
Lake Oconee/Greensboro, GA – Cuscowilla/Reynolds Plantation
Charleston, SC – Yeamons Hall/Kiawah
Bend, OR
Pensacola, FL area
Southern Pines/Pinehurst, NC
Albuquerque, NM
Portland, OR
Denver, CO
Athens, GA
Jupiter, FL area
Tucson, AZ
Carmel, CA
Melbourne Australia area
Palm Springs, CA
Costa Rica
Austin, TX area
Phoenix area
Saint Andrews Scotland
Southport, NC
Knoxville, TN area
Hilton Head, SC area
Asheville, NC area
Waco, TX
Chapel Hill, NC
Portland, ME
Savannah, GA
McCall, ID
Williamsburg, VA
Traverse City, MI
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Columbus, OH

Tom_Doak

« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2012, 05:44:39 PM »
Bringing back an old topic after it came up on the first page of two specific searches I ran. 

The real estate market has changed rather dramatically since 2005 and wondering if thoughts on the topic are different.

I was surprised there wasn't more discussion on Pinehurst NC.  It seems to meet the requirements set.  Weather seems nice, can't find too many places with the quantity of quality golf courses, close to Raleigh/Durham for both air and culture, real estate falls right into the range mentioned, cost of living seems low (not sure about the tax burden).

Some of the downsides to Pinehurst, specifically the resort, would seem to be a lack of walking (there appears to be a walking club at the resort but limited primarily to twilight) and the lack of privacy with rather crowded courses.

Bend, OR
Pensacola, FL area
Albuquerque, NM
Portland, OR
Denver, CO
Athens, GA
Jupiter, FL area
Tucson, AZ
Carmel, CA
Melbourne Australia area
Palm Springs, CA
Costa Rica
Austin, TX area
Phoenix area
Saint Andrews Scotland
Southport, NC
Knoxville, TN area
Hilton Head, SC area
Asheville, NC area
Waco, TX
Chapel Hill, NC
Portland, ME
Savannah, GA
McCall, ID
Williamsburg, VA
Traverse City, MI
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Columbus, OH

The correct answer is really New Zealand.  Unfortunately, they won't let us Americans stay the whole year.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2012, 05:47:23 PM »

Bend, OR
Pensacola, FL area
Albuquerque, NM
Portland, OR
Denver, CO
Athens, GA
Jupiter, FL area
Tucson, AZ
Carmel, CA
Melbourne Australia area
Palm Springs, CA
Costa Rica
Austin, TX area
Phoenix area
Saint Andrews Scotland
Southport, NC
Knoxville, TN area
Hilton Head, SC area
Asheville, NC area
Waco, TX
Chapel Hill, NC
Portland, ME
Savannah, GA
McCall, ID
Williamsburg, VA
Traverse City, MI
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Columbus, OH

The correct answer is really New Zealand.  Unfortunately, they won't let us Americans stay the whole year.

And for those of us who do not own much in the way of outerwear?

No offense to CK or even KC but Paraparaumu is near the top of my want to see list.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2012, 11:47:26 PM »
Did someone really mention Waco? :o

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2012, 01:01:51 AM »
Not joking,try Waco.100,000 buys a lot of house.Ridgewood CC is walked by half the members and is very underrated,You can join for approx 7500 ,Baylor is there,you can play golf with the President,hour and half from DFW,which is important because with money you save you rent house in Scotland for August(heat problem solved)You could also go see the protests and counter protests.

It did meet many of the requirements originally listed which is why many of the high dollar locations were not mentioned.

A retirement location, not necessarily an adults only community for "active seniors", that has a good combination of the following:

1) relatively pleasant weather without extremes at both ends;
2) quality golf courses in terms of architecture, maintenance, and membership (not just a bunch of old married couples playing hit and giggle);
3) within a couple hours of a major airport;
4) not far from a university or center with cultural activities;
5) not requiring a large investment in real estate;
6) a reasonable cost of living and tax burden;
7) other outdoor activities.

mike_beene

« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2012, 01:15:02 AM »
Sam, guilty but consider :Ridgewood can be joined for less than 10000 dollars,it is as good a members course as you will find anywhere and the lake views make you feel like you are on the pacific,friendly membership,Big 12 sports,university arts,unbelievably I expensive housing,no state income tax,hour and half to Dallas or Austin,year round decent weather and not too many visitors because after all, who wants to visit you in Waco.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2012, 01:36:53 AM »
My pal Jesse (some of you have met) made the move from the frozen tundra to Las Vegas, Sun City on the west side up from the strip, walking distance to Summerlin.  He totally loves it and says it has plenty to do, and the golf is very affordable.  They have a University, and they can completely avoid the gambling mecca hub-bub in their social life in Sun City.  They totally stole a house on price in this downdraft, although have not sold their home here in GB, with very poor market an no buyers or lookers.  He will continue to come back here to WI in the hottest part of July and Aug in LV. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2012, 10:16:17 AM »
Aiken, SC.  Quaint small town with Palmetto and Aiken Golf Club, not to mention the availability of the occasional Masters badge among friends.  Downside:  Georgia and Clemson fans.

Chattanooga.  Very quaint neighborhoods with an abundance of affordable craftsmen bungalows and a perfect trifeca of golf for membership or guesting:  Honors Course, Lookout Mountain and Black Creek.  Quick run to Atlanta or Nashville for major league sports.  Four full seasons.  Downside:  Having to explain that you went to neither McCallie nor Baylor for high school.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Bert

« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
Nashville: Southwest hub with reasonably price direct flights to just about everywhere. Just don't plan to play much locally.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2012, 10:52:31 AM »
Buenos Aires -- summers aren't as hot as DFW, and it doesn't snow in the winter.

Puerto Rico?  I assume it's hot in the summer, but like Miami the proximity to the water might make it more temperate.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2012, 01:00:47 PM »
Sam, guilty but consider :Ridgewood can be joined for less than 10000 dollars,it is as good a members course as you will find anywhere and the lake views make you feel like you are on the pacific,friendly membership,Big 12 sports,university arts,unbelievably I expensive housing,no state income tax,hour and half to Dallas or Austin,year round decent weather and not too many visitors because after all, who wants to visit you in Waco.

You're killing me Mike. :D I like Cottonwood Creek though.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »
7 years in and nary a mention of the best living environment on earth... wow.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2012, 04:33:50 PM »
What about San Diego, perfect weather isn't it?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Alex Miller

« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »
What about San Diego, perfect weather isn't it?

Ulrich

San Diego, like Los Angeles, has poor quality public GCA (with Rustic Canyon as the major exception in L.A.). However if one retires in coastal So. Cal and becomes a member, L.A. has much better quality GCA private clubs than San Diego.

Weather is perfect in San Diego, but L.A. is damn close. All that being said, maybe Monterey or Santa Cruz is the choice over both.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back