News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale_McCallon

Building a great three-shotter
« on: August 11, 2005, 11:31:43 AM »
With the 17th hole at Baltusrol getting so much attention this week because of its length, I started wondering what can be done to build great par 5s--not for pros, but for everyone.

Obviously the "risk/reward", "go/no go" is the great argument, but for me virtually all par 5s are lay up holes.  So what is the best defense to create interesting long holes, particularly the lay up shot.

My home course has 3 par fives, all fairly dull.  Straight away, out of play fairway bunkers or trees, huge lay up areas, and really not much else.

What are some great examples of "true" 3 shot holes and for those of us who may not know the hole, please explain what goes into the hole that makes it interesting or fun.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Re:Building a great three-shotter
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 11:49:24 AM »
Take a close look at #15 at Pine Valley and then try to "fit" that into your desired locale.
This could be the finest par five in the world, at least it is my favourite, it has all the elements of what a par five should be...adequate length, strategy, green complex that is challenging..and score potential that covers the spectrum ;D

PThomas

Re:Building a great three-shotter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 11:52:18 AM »
7th at Blackwolf Run, Meadow Valleys course...water down the left side which hugs the green....a long hitter can get there in two, but would have to deal with the agua

for us mere mortals who need 3, there is a pot bunker smack dab in the middle of the fairway about 100 yards from the green which REALLY makes you think

other bunkers on the hole which affect your strategy as well

a great par 5, imho
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back