News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JESII

How does it strike you?
« on: August 09, 2005, 10:53:28 AM »
Probably been asked on here before (a thousand times) but I'm curious what todays definitions are.

I'm asking each person what golf course architecture is to them personally. I would think our architects on here would have a more technical response than the non-architects. I would assume the writers would have a different view than the amateur observers, and I would imagine the raters would have a different opinion than we the group that simply play the courses we do.

For me personally it's the whole package. In other words, the golf course as a whole. I look back at a round and think about the situations I was in and the decisions I had to make and if they were good, enjoyable and challenging the course gets good marks.

I don't understand the challenges of "routing" well enough to consider that although many of you seem to have strong thoughts on that front so please include them and educate me. I also wonder how much 'outside' influences should weigh in on an analysis, such as the total experience. Does conditioning matter when it can be tied into the original architecture such as grass selections and drainage and maintenance issues etc...?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 03:40:43 PM by JES II »

Scott Witter

Re:What is Golf Course Architecture?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 01:17:02 PM »
Jes II,

Why is it important for you to know?  Do you need to justify your round?

If you are thinking back on each round of golf you experience and reflect on the good decisions, the bad ones, the fun you had, or maybe didn't have, and if you equate these thoughts to the quality of the golf course, you may be missing the whole point or you may get lucky and learn a few things about how the course and the architect influenced your line of thinking (play).  At any rate, if you are in fact truly thinking about these type of situations then you are far ahead of most golfers and you should be happy you got more out of your round.

What is golf course architecture? we don't have enough time to get into it.  I have to believe you could do a search this site and find many such references to this topic that would help you out.

JESII

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 01:49:21 PM »
Scott,

It's not about justification, it's about my forming an opinion of the course.

Perhaps my questions and comments were poorly formed on the initial post, but I do not equate good or bad decisions or social fun to the quality of the course. It is the quality of the decisions required that make that determination for me.

If I miss a drive into the rough somewhere and am left with a full array of choices to attempt to make par with different degrees of risk and reward, that is generally a "fun" decision. those are the kind of things I reflect upon.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 02:10:21 PM »
Sully,

I think part of the reason for the limited response to date might be that the question is somewhat overly broad and therefore, a bit daunting.

It's sort of like sitting in a Physics class and opening up your Blue Book to start a test, and the Prof comes in and writes one question on the board; "What is Physics?"

To me, the answer lies not only with what is built on the property, but how the "off property" elements are utilized.  

Still, books could be (and have been) written on the subject, so it's tough to answer briefly in an all-encompassing way.

JESII

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 02:26:40 PM »
Thanks Mike,

That makes sense, so much for an attempt at wide ranging responses.

I looked it up on Websters.com - #5 looks pretty good to me with the obvious replacement of golf hole for computer systems.

Main Entry: ar·chi·tec·ture
Pronunciation: 'är-k&-"tek-ch&r
Function: noun
1 : the art or science of building; specifically : the art or practice of designing and building structures and especially habitable ones
2 a : formation or construction as or as if as the result of conscious act <the architecture of the garden> b : a unifying or coherent form or structure <the novel lacks architecture>
3 : architectural product or work
4 : a method or style of building
5 : the manner in which the components of a computer or computer system are organized and integrated

What factors contribute to your determination of a golf courses architecture.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back