News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Ross Routing - Memphis CC
« on: August 05, 2005, 12:18:58 PM »
Danny Green leads the state amateur at four under through three rounds at Memphis CC.  The final round is today.  The course plays around 6,600 yards from the tips.

The attached link shows the ingenious routing.  Zoom in a couple of times.  (If anybody can paste the aerial, please do so).

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Southern+Ave,+Memphis,+TN&ll=35.120751,-89.957170&spn=0.008287,0.013923&t=k&hl=en

The golf course occupies less than 110 acres with the front nine routed counter-clockwise around the perimeter.  The first hole doglegs right around the tennis courts at the bottom of the aerial.  The only switch-back is at the short 4th after the par five third that plays northward along the eastern boundary.  The 9th finishes at the southwest corner of the property.  

Ross uses the one-shot tenth (paralleling the 1st fairway) to breach the front nine's perimeter, then loops 11 through 14 in a clock-wise fashion (the 11th heads dues north from the 10th green) inside the front 9.  Holes 15 through 17th are then triangulated within that loop.  The course then returns to the perimeter with the 18th that parallels the 9th at the southwest corner.  

« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 12:40:16 PM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kris Spence

Re:Ross Routing - Memphis CC
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 09:48:03 PM »
B.H.  I stopped by Memphis CC back in May while passing through town.  The golf professional was great about letting me tour the course.  I too found the routing of the course very interesting, especially where Ross brought the 14th and 17th green complexes together before going around for another small clockwise loop on holes 15,16 & 17.  The par 3 4th is probably one of the best 3's in the midwest.

There is a great aerial in the back of the golf shop showing the original course, I think circa 1930's.  The course was designed in 1910 I believe and was very well bunkered.  They should consider an extensive tree removal program to get rid of those nasty willow oaks that are encroaching on every hole and restore the bunkering shown on the aerial.  The greens are Champion bermuda, probably some of the best surfaces I have ever seen putting quality wise.  The greens appear to have been softened at some point.

I thought I read somewhere there was a Raynor connection at Memphis CC.  I may be mistaken on that though.

I thought is was a great little course and definitely worth seeing if you are in the Memphis area.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 11:37:43 AM »
The routing appears similar to Muirfield with the outer front nine loop and the internal back nine. What is the property acreage? It appears to be a fun course tucked into a small property. I particularily like the short fourth hole from the aerial.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 12:11:00 PM »
In a battle of mid-amateur champions, Tim Jackson birdied the last five holes Friday to finish 6 under and defeat Danny Green by a single shot.  Only four players bettered par at 6,600 yards, with two others at even.  

The fourth (130 - 150 yards) belongs to the family of Ross Volcano holes.

From the back of the 3rd green with players on the 4th tee.  An intimate routing, to say the least:

Closer. Old photographs show the putting surface to the very edge of the plateau including the extreme back left corner.  A miss on either side propels the ball sharply away from the green, and the game of Annie-Over is on.  I missed left off the tee and was delighted to get up and down from the right - for a 4.

The hole plays slightly downhill, hiding the extent to which the green is actually pushed up.  From behind the green, it's a little more obvious:

« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 12:12:20 PM by Bogey_Hendren »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 02:02:28 PM »
Kris,

Rod Lingle has been the superintendent at Memphis CC for many years and is somewhat a pioneer with respect to Champion Bermuda.  He indicated only the back of the 3rd green was softened to accomodate the increased speed.  

I know just enough to be wrong, but I am not aware of Raynor's presence there.  Apparently a golf course was built on the present site around 1905, likely by Bendelow.  Ross' work is dated 1910 by most authorities, very early in his career.  I have seen a set of photographs circa 1930's taken directly in front of each green at Memphis CC and very few of the cognoscenti would even suspect they are Ross' design with their sharp edges and varied shapes - even a few straight lines.  In that sense, the greens have been softened, but the original pads are there, plain as day.

JNC,

105 to 110 acres.  A delightful golf course to walk and play, for all skill levels
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 02:03:26 PM by Bogey_Hendren »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 10:31:32 AM »
http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/golf/article/0,1426,MCA_473_3973784,00.html

Nice pre-tournament article about Tim Jackson and Danny Green, who finished 1-2.   Good old West Tennessee boys.

T_MacWood

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 11:26:00 AM »
I've always wondered about the 1910 date for Ross. That seems a bit early for his involvement. I've aslo seen a mid-20's date somewhere, which makes more sense.

Kris Spence

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 07:37:30 AM »
I just remembered where I saw a reference to Memphis CC by an architect other than Ross, it is listed on the Tillinghast Society website as an (E) examination, what ever that means.

T_MacWood

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 08:03:09 AM »
I believe most of the (E) notations on the Tillinghast site are courses he visited on his PGA tour in the 30's. He would examine the PGA affiliated courses and then give his recommendations for free.

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 08:39:59 AM »
How early Ross got out there doing courses around the country (other than Massachussetts and Pinehurst) is a bit hazy to me but it seems he was out there at least beginning in 1910, maybe a bit before.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back