News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

james soper

"...best hole I've seen"
« on: August 03, 2005, 11:38:20 AM »
"In the States, I think Cypress Point is awesome. Its subtleties are amazing. The 15th hole is probably the best hole I've seen".- Jim Engh(Golf Connoisseur-Spring 2005).

"The 13th at Pine Valley is the hole most people remember: it's considered to be an example of the best golf architecture can offer. Your options are said to be never-ending: playing safe to the right is popular but the John Daly in us will always make us think we can carry the danger and hit the green in two".- Ed Seay(Kingdom-Issue Three)

Paul_Turner

Re:"...best hole I've seen"
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 12:17:31 PM »
I haven't played it, but what are the subtleties of the 15th at Cypress?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 01:06:47 PM »
a shank could either hit a seal, a porpoise, or a whale.

THuckaby2

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 01:24:10 PM »
I haven't played it, but what are the subtleties of the 15th at Cypress?

1.  The green has several different sections, each of which exacts a different penalty for the miss.

2. Putts look easy but aren't; that is, the contours are quite subtle.

3.  The green is deeper than it looks and club selection is tougher than one might think.

4.  The wind swirls due to the surrounding trees and other factors - did I mention club selection is difficult?

That's enough for now.  Methinks Mr. Engh isn't far off in his statement.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 01:24:41 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 01:26:21 PM »
Tom,

You forgot to mention the seals, porpoises, and whales.  ;)

Of course, I'm teasing, but although the hole has more going on then is immediately apparent, it probably is not quite as subtle as let's say, 12 at ANGC.  

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 01:33:44 PM »
I'll take #2 at Pine Valley.

I've actually driven up there and looked at #2 through the gates by the railroad tracks.  (thankfully, I didn't drive all the way from Chester County, PA just for this!)

THuckaby2

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 01:40:05 PM »
Tom,

You forgot to mention the seals, porpoises, and whales.  ;)

Of course, I'm teasing, but although the hole has more going on then is immediately apparent, it probably is not quite as subtle as let's say, 12 at ANGC.  

An additional subtlety is that one could also hit a shark or sea lion if one got lucky enough.

But understood re the difference from 12 Augusta.  I do believe it's just closer than most would think, in this context, that's all.  Those who call it a simple wedge shot are the ones who tend to make fives.

;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 01:40:57 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 02:04:30 PM »
"In the States, I think Cypress Point is awesome. Its subtleties are amazing. The 15th hole is probably the best hole I've seen".- Jim Engh(Golf Connoisseur-Spring 2005).

Huck and Mike - I'm reading the quote a bit different. I believe Mr. Engh thinks that CP -- as a whole -- has amazing subtleties. He must feel the 15th is the best hole on the golf course.

Just my .02!!

THuckaby2

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 02:25:18 PM »
Tony - I read it that way also.  He's not saying 15 is amazing because of its subtleties... The hole itself is amazing, the course as a whole has the subtleties.  I just took the ball and ran with it, answering Paul's question... Because I do think 15 has way more to it than meets the eye, and as you know, a lot meets the eye as it is!

;D

JeffTodd

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 02:29:56 PM »
I'll take #2 at Pine Valley.

I've actually driven up there and looked at #2 through the gates by the railroad tracks.  (thankfully, I didn't drive all the way from Chester County, PA just for this!)
Wow, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has done that.

DMoriarty

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 10:25:16 PM »
Look, I like the 15th hole at Cypress, but can anyone here honestly say that it is the best hole they have ever seen?  Come on.   I think we have to give Mr. Engh the benefit of the doubt here and assume that he either mispoke or was misquoted, and that he actually meant CPC 16.  

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 10:51:43 PM »
If "best hole I've seen" can be loosely translated as "hole I'd be A-OK with playing for the rest of my life, or they can bury my ashes there", then I'd be put my name on the list with Mr.Engh with regard to #15 at CPC.  

Is #16 better, no.  One-dimensional hole, that becomes less interesting as you get older and are unable to make the carry.

Is #9 better, no (but really close).  The combination of #8 and #9 is an incredible set of Par4s.  But the risk-reward of #9 would eventually become a drive & pitch as you get older.

But the setting, challenge and peacefulness of #15 is unmatched.  You could spend an hour on the hole, and maybe only hit two tee-shots, and it would be a great hour spent.  It tests your accuracy, your short-game, your putting, your ability to concentrate despite the setting, and your ability to be one with nature and appreciate that certain places in the world are perfect.  

JESII

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 03:37:48 PM »
#11 Shinnecock
#13 Royal County Down or #5 Merion
#15 Pine Valley

One for each par.

The best of these - #15 at PVGC.

Gene Greco

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 04:00:07 PM »
No, I tend to agree with Mr. Moriarity.

I believe Engh meant #16 at CP.

It is not one-dimensional. One doesn't need to carry the entire length but may choose the shorter route with an easy pitch for the approach and par putt.

It is the best hole I've seen and nothing else approaches its majestic awesomeness and beauty.  

Sandbox, one may spend an hour on the 15th tee and only hit two balls but my guess is the other 59 minutes is spent looking at 16.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 04:26:40 PM »
Gene,

From the pictures, you appear to be a good sized, healthy guy.  How many times have you walked through the Cypress trees between #15 and #16 and seriously contemplated hitting a lay-up?

I agree that #16 is an awesome sight and a serious challenge of skill (strength & accuracy), but don't give me that talk about lay-up being a serious strategic consideration.  Hell, even Marion Hollis wouldn't take that approach. ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 04:39:01 PM by Sandbox_Gracely »

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 04:41:31 PM »
Arnie said he'd do it if he were leading a tournament by 2 in the final round....

Let's face it - the 16th is a special case. Most who play it are never going to play it again, or will only play it a few times, and the reward is worth the risk. Its strategic elements really only shine if there is something significant at stake, but that's not the hole's fault, or the architect's.

15 seems like a wonderful hole, but I can't imagine putting it high on my list. I only hope someone can show me its merits in person someday.... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 04:51:59 PM »
Its strategic elements really only shine if there is something significant at stake, but that's not the hole's fault, or the architect's.

Huh??  It's only a non one-dimensional hole if something important is at stake?  So it's a great hole if we're playing for the US Open, but not if we're playing for a beer?  Or it's only strategic if we're playing in the US Open?  

George Pazin

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2005, 05:00:13 PM »
I suppose that's one way of looking at it.

Another would be that it is the ultimate temptation hole, and that pretty much everyone falls victim to its charms.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2005, 05:02:56 PM »
George,

If that's really the case, that #16 is just a siren on the rocks, then why did Marion Hollis insist on it being a Par3?  Why not just have Dr.M build a back tee and make it a picturesque Par4 around the cove?  

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2005, 05:24:00 PM »
That just makes the choice more obvious. Maybe Mac preferred subtlety....

Ian Andrew

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2005, 05:48:09 PM »
Even the redan's options don't thrill me as much as Foxy at Dornoch. There are so many ways to try approach and play the hole, both from the tee and the approach. The joy is that none are perfect, and the player must make a great approach.

The 13th at PV is another fine example of options, but I can't see 15 or 16 at Cypress. I've played both and they are truly spectacular. 15th is simply a single shot hole of sublime beauty. The 16th offers options, until the wind is strong, then there is only one prudent play. Stunning hole yes, best hole I've seen, I don't think so.

Scratch_Nathan

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2005, 06:58:02 PM »
Redanman -

That's eight letters, pards.

SN

paul cowley

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »
I'd say the old Seaside #7 [colt and allison] prior to the recent renovation at the Sea Island resort.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Michael Dugger

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2005, 09:47:04 PM »
16th at Bandon Dunes
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Neil Regan

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2005, 01:37:09 AM »
I'd say the old Seaside #7 [colt and allison] prior to the recent renovation at the Sea Island resort.

Paul,

I played that hole over 20 years. I can't count the balls I put in the marsh. Everybody who played it looked forward to it, tried different angles, and talked about it later. I still have a ball from almost a 2 there one day (with a MacGregor Muirfield 2-iron after a good long drive.) The hole was very long and gave you every reason to carry as much of the marsh as possible. The more your tee shot went right for less carry, the more blocked you were by the what, 10 foot?, high fairway bunker, in addition to having a much longer shot to a small green on a mound behind a deep false-front bunker.
  Now the tee shot is the same, but the new green has been brought 45 yards closer and tripled in size (and is all too often maintained resort-soft.) Now there is not only little if any reason to risk a big carry, it might actually be smarter to play safe right with less than a wood for a full 9-iron or wedge approach instead of a half-wedge. And the fairway bunker no longer intimidates anyone.
  It was a famous hole, and rightly so. My heart aches to see it now.

But you knew that already.

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back