News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

grandwazo

Bandon
« on: July 15, 2005, 10:19:33 AM »
12 days away from 4 days at Bandon...are any GCA'ers going to be there the last week of July? Would love to get together to perhaps arrange some foursome matches or at the very least share a few beers one evening.  Has anyone been there over the past weeks, and if so, how are the conditions and how has the weather been?

Also, playing Pumpkin Ridge Witch Hollow on our day of arrival, anybody played the course recently? How far from the Portland airport is the course, we have a 10:30 tee off and need to get back to the airport for the 5PM flight to Bandon.

Regards
Jeff

Peter_Herreid

Re:Bandon
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 11:34:59 AM »
I suppose I might be qualified to answer this one ;) :D

There is extensive roadwork on US 26 West from Portland out to North Plains.  The trip from PDX is 35 miles, but one should anticipate approx. 1 hour to make the trip, no less.  Then if you get an unexpected light drive, all the better.

Going back to PDX, there are usually very heavy back-ups going back east into downtown, so again, plan for one hour and hope for the best.

Do not try to cut it too close...

If you have a 10.30am tee time at Witch, and our typical Thurs-Sun rounds are 4.5 hours (ugh--don't get me started), then you should leave promptly after getting done.  Mon-Wed rounds should be closer to 4 hours.  I think you actually have a pretty decent cushion, but don't waste too much time getting back on the road...

FWIW, I just did this exact commute yesterday afternoon, so this info is pretty up-to-date, I would say.

As for how Witch Hollow is playing, this is a very pretty time of year to be out there, as the contrast between the variety of green colors in the turf and trees, and the waving brown grasses, etc. is at its most striking.  In my opinion, and fellow member John Kirk may or may not agree, I have found the fairways and greens to be softer than typical, and the greens not quite as smooth as typical--I suspect this is the result of our strange, cool and wet spring and early summer.  Good news for us is that it could lead to a long, extended fall playing season in peak condition...

In terms of preparing you for Bandon, however, don't expect to play a lot of bumps and runs!

One word of caution--we're pretty thick with our club tournaments/championships these days.  What day are you playing? and you may want to check into that.

I hope you have a great time there, and certainly report back on your thoughts.

Peter

grandwazo

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 12:34:02 PM »
Peter
Thank you so much for the info....one of the many reasons I love GCA is what we have to offer each other.  
We're playing Wednesday, the 27th and I am really looking forward to playing your home course, I have only heard wonderful things about it. Your head pro has been very accomodating to allow us to play and we truly appreciate it.  
Best regards,
Jeff Siskind

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 12:40:14 PM »

Jeff,

I was forunate enough to play Witch Hollow a couple of times, once with JohnV. It will be interesting to hear what you think about the course especially the 18th hole.

peter_p

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 02:19:53 PM »
Jeff,
I was at With Hollow a few weeks ago and it looked in great shape for the Oregon Am.
An alternate travel route back to PDX and avoiding US 26 is to take Germantown Rd over the West Hills, cross the Willamette on the St John's Bridge then use Lombard St to the airport area.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 05:09:33 PM »
don't forget Skyline Drive either.  Not the fastest, but it sure is a pretty road.

John Kirk

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 07:16:22 PM »
Peter,

I agree the course is quite lush this week.  I believe our superintendent Bill Webster is preparing to dry it out next week for the club championship.

I teed off 50 minutes after you on Thursday, and didn't get a chance to say hello.

Jeff,

I sure hope you enjoy Witch Hollow.  Our course is a very pretty place, and an easy walk.  Not to mention Oregon is the place to be in the summertime.  It will be interesting to hear your thoughts about the course, including #18.  The architecture at Pumpkin Ridge is mostly strategic in nature, but some holes on Witch Hollow, especially #18, are hero holes.

You are cutting it close getting back to the airport in time.  Peter Pittock's suggestion to take Germantown Rd. to the St. John's bridge (if you can figure out how to do that) pretty much guarantees a trip of about one hour.  Taking highway 26 back through town to interstate 84 (back the way you came) makes the trip time less reliable, and will take between 45 and 75 minutes, depending on traffic.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 10:52:44 PM »
Both Eric Johnson, the super at Bandon Dunes, and I (grounds superintendent) post on this site, and I for one would enjoy meeting you while you are at the resort.
Look me up..............347 5953!

Tom
the pres

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 02:02:04 AM »
Peter,

I agree the course is quite lush this week.  I believe our superintendent Bill Webster is preparing to dry it out next week for the club championship.

I teed off 50 minutes after you on Thursday, and didn't get a chance to say hello.

Jeff,

I sure hope you enjoy Witch Hollow.  Our course is a very pretty place, and an easy walk.  Not to mention Oregon is the place to be in the summertime.  It will be interesting to hear your thoughts about the course, including #18.  The architecture at Pumpkin Ridge is mostly strategic in nature, but some holes on Witch Hollow, especially #18, are hero holes.

You are cutting it close getting back to the airport in time.  Peter Pittock's suggestion to take Germantown Rd. to the St. John's bridge (if you can figure out how to do that) pretty much guarantees a trip of about one hour.  Taking highway 26 back through town to interstate 84 (back the way you came) makes the trip time less reliable, and will take between 45 and 75 minutes, depending on traffic.

John, You forgot to tell them to stop off at Helvatia Tavern for a burger! :)

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 11:04:46 AM »

John, You forgot to tell them to stop off at Helvatia Tavern for a burger! :)

And Rock Creek Tavern for a few beers to wash it down.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 04:05:46 PM »
Helvatia Tavern is a gem, isn't it.  Are the hats still up in the rafters?

I remember when Helvatia was way, WAY out in the country.  But then again, I remember when Pumpkin Ridge was a bunch of dirt, and Forest Hills was the prime golf spot for Western Washington County.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back