News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Swan Point
« on: July 08, 2005, 06:22:52 AM »
I just heard the Kempersports has taken over this southern Maryland daily fee-er.  They have plans to moderize Swan.  I played SP when it open a number of years ago and liked the course.  The problem is that it is so out of the way I'm not sure how they can attract any business.

Any others played it?  What do you think of Swan?

JC

Rob_Waldron

Re:Swan Point
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 09:07:32 AM »
Jonathan

Has Kemper acquired the course from CSX or are they managing it? It has always been one of my favorites and is included as one of the best in the State of Maryland by the #1 Golf Magazine in the Country. (Golf Digest of course)

You are correct in that the course seemes to get farther and farther away from D.C. and the surrounding suburbs due to the increased traffic in the Waldorf area.

The ideal day at Swan Point is 18 holes in the morning, lunch break and an emergency 9-hole scramble in the afternoon followed by crabs and beer at Captain Billy's!

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 09:34:17 AM »
My article on Swan comes out in GS next month.  In preparing for the piece I found out a few interesting things about Swan.  The US Steel Real Estate Division bought the property in the late 1980 and promply built a Gary Player course.  It never opened!  They were so dissatisfied with the result that they hired Bob Cupp to design an entire new 18 holes over the original footprint.  KemperSports is about to announce that Ron Garl (much to Cupp's chagrin) has been hired to re-do the course again.  Same footprint but refurbished course.  A third 'emergency' nine just for you Rob is being added.  They are redoing the clubhouse and expanding the marina.  

They hired superintendent Todd Gribling (5 Farms and Caves) to oversee keeping the new course in top notch condition.  Gribling promised gone is the triplex mowing of greens and indiscriminate 100% coverage watering from automatic sprinkler heads.  In will be a regimen of walk-mowing and selected hand watering.

This is a nice golf course.  Hopefully it will be even better.

JC

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 01:24:08 PM »
JC

A third nine?  I thought they were having enough trouble getting play on the original 18. I always thought the clubhouse should have been located by the water (behind the present 17th tee). Where will the third nine be located? When are we heading down there for golf and crabs????

Andy Hughes

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 02:55:47 PM »
Boys, I have wanted to play since it was recommended several years ago. If you need a third, or a fourth, lemme know.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 08:21:47 PM »
Pick a Sat/Sun in Oct and I'll arrange the tee times.  Let's find a 4th and call it the smallest GCA outing in history!

JC

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 11:12:32 PM »
I never thought that Swan Point deserved to be ranked as highly as it is.  I also liked that course as it was designed better. It is however a great course to play because it is so much fun.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Andy Hughes

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 11:10:42 AM »
Pick a Sat/Sun in Oct and I'll arrange the tee times.  Let's find a 4th and call it the smallest GCA outing in history!
Jonathon, Sundays tend to be better for me with all the kid's soccer games on Saturdays.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 01:50:08 PM »
I spoke to Emily the marketing director at Swan this week. They will be aerifying the greens near the end of September. I was considering playing either Sunday Sept 11 or Sun Sept 18 if anyone is interested intrying to get a couple of groups together. Attendance at Captain Billy's may be mandatory for post game crabs and adult beverages.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 01:50:42 PM by Rob_Waldron »

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 05:10:13 PM »
Have to endure a few weeks in Ireland during mid-Sept.  Sorry.  Third weekend in Oct would be great though.  I can make all the arrangements, Billy's included!  The price may be right, too!

Contact me offline if interested,

Jonathan Cummings
golfguydz@aol.com

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 06:19:54 PM »
Life is tough!

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 09:05:21 PM »
David Tepper - courtesy phone.  Wanna join us?

Andy Hughes

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 08:21:38 AM »
Yeah, a pity to have so much to do Jonathon  ;)

October is good as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back